I’ve seen enough

Discussion in 'On The Field' started by mchammer, Mar 25, 2023.

1. moondog_LFZ

moondog_LFZ 5,000+ Posts

Remember DKR's last MNC?
    Yea, well, it was over 30 years before we won another.
    And it's been 18 years since that one.
    I don't know why anyone expects a MNC every year.
    I think we should have won more conference championships and even that will get harder in the SEC.
    I just love college football.
    And the Longhorns are my last great sports addiction.
    Win or lose I will be watching.

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Winner Winner x 1
  2. NRHorn

NRHorn 2,500+ Posts

Exactly… over the years I’ve stopped watching all pro sports. This isn’t a boycott or statement and if people like the NFL - good on them.
    My Sunday’s are now free.
    Longhorn and college football are my last bastion of sports viewing and recent changes have me looking at the possibility of having free Saturdays as well. But m still far away, but this portal chaos and out of control NIL ( I’m for NIL, but what Aggie did last year and that high school FL QB who was due to get several $M is what I’m referring to).

A NC is much more than just coaching and players… injuries and a ball bouncing the wrong way at the wrong time can turn a NC into just a 11 win season.

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. Horn6721

Horn6721 10,000+ Posts

Is there anything worthwhile for kids fom participating in organized sports?

4. Htown77

Htown77 5,000+ Posts

We had Gary Patterson literally on campus and let him slip away. We can get Jeff Traylor before it is too late. If we let both Patterson and Traylor slip away before we join the SEC... God help Texas Football, because we'll deserve the ridicule that comes our way.

I will wear burnt orange and root for the Horns, but after attending that Alamo Bowl, my expectations for Sark are zero. The only good news with zero expectations is you can be pleasantly surprised. Anyway, I do not post much anymore as I am tired of beating a dead horse and honestly, as a two time alum, it has been hard to get excited about UT sports since the whole Eyes of Texas controversy (except baseball where the controversy was ignored). For the hopeful, God bless you, carry on and :hookem:!

• poop poop x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  5. Horns11

Horns11 10,000+ Posts

I'm left wondering what you think Texas should do or have done regarding either of those guys. Like... we should just fire Sark and make either the HC? Overpay them as position coaches? Timelines don't work like that.

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. Sangre Naranjada

Sangre Naranjada 10,000+ Posts

That's only the most obvious of the myriad of objections people could have raised to this paragraph.

7. Htown77

Htown77 5,000+ Posts

I understand all that, but it is pretty frustrating to have better options and we have Steve Sarksian, 34-29 at Washington, 12-6 at USC and 13-12 at Texas so far. Hopefully he turns it around, but if he does not and we end up with another Strong, Herman or Sark, damn for once we had options and did not exercise them.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. NRHorn

NRHorn 2,500+ Posts

I hear you regarding the Alamo bowl game.
    I also consider a non Championship bowl game a step above a spring game and a step below a regular season game due to the fact of key players sitting out.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Htown77

Htown77 5,000+ Posts

Except that it directly determines your final ranking and a trophy is at stake, whether or not some star players do not care how their team finishes or the legacy of their teammates who will not get NFL dollars.

Under the bowl games do not matter logic, we should not even have top 25 rankings and the minute a team loses two games and cannot make the playoff (aka win the national title), the team should not even bother to finish the regular season. There are 130 FBS teams and I do not like the idea of making the sport meaningless if you do not win a national title. The fun of college sports, as opposed to pro sports, is there are things to play for in addition to being number one. If the players and fans cease to care about the rest, the magic is lost and we should convert to a 32 team league with the richest P5 schools (which sadly may happen regardless).

Last edited: Mar 31, 2023
  10. NRHorn

NRHorn 2,500+ Posts

I agree. You and I are on the same page regarding the final rankings and I was not considering that very good point …. I was screaming at the TV ( I am a child) during the Alamo at the time.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Vol Horn 4 Life

Vol Horn 4 Life Good Bye To All The Rest!

I'm going to disagree with baseball being lumped in. There were three or four mediocre years in the transition from Augie to Pierce, but in this time frame you listed we've been to something like 7 CWS in that time span? We haven't won, but there's nothing mediocre about that. That's like saying Kansas in basketball is mediocre for only making the Elite 8 every other year and the final four once a decade. They expect to win it every year, but it's not mediocre to not.

• Agree Agree x 2
  12. Handler

Handler 1,000+ Posts

Hey good news, Beach Volleyball was by far the worst. Baseball will finish worse.

I think we roll next year in football and I'm usually not that guy. 9 wins at a minimum next year or Sark is on his way out barring a ton of injuries. 2024 recruiting class top prospects are going to need to see wins in year 3. Can't sell on vision anymore.

I do think 2024 will be another 8 win year with another freshman QB, multiple juniors and redshirt sophomores declaring early, and insane 2024 schedule (Michigan, OU, A&M, Arkie, probably Ole Miss and Tennessee for "Manning Bowls" and a Florida, LSU or Georgia).

Then if all goes well with recruiting for next 2 years, we are in the top 10 neighborhood every year. As UT basketball showed, 18 and 19 yr old's can't compete with 22 and 23 year olds.... Hopefully Sark is competing in the 12 team playoff every year after 2024 because the Chris Beard effect will be over and our .500 mid major coach will be exposed. (Hope I'm so wrong on that, RT is a good man and players seem to like playing for him). I just don't know if he can handle the roster mgmt like Beard (to be fair probably no one can like Beard) and did get exposed a few times with player mgmt/schemes during games.

With UT's NIL dominance over other schools, there is zero excuses to not be top 10 in every sport, every year.

13. ViperHorn

ViperHorn 10,000+ Posts

If this is the case shut down football now. Sell/give away all of the equipment; tear down DKR and either build a real Track Complex or a home for DEI Studies.

Get a grip. CdC hired both Sark and Patterson and let Traylor go. He just might know a little more about these coaches than you are giving him credit.

14. mchammer

mchammer 10,000+ Posts

Hmm…over 100 years of football vs trial season for beach volleyball. Also, you are high if you think football will outperform baseball this season. Texas baseball only has to win a single NCAA regional game to outperform football.

15. moondog_LFZ

moondog_LFZ 5,000+ Posts

I've seen analysts already placing the 2024 Horns in the top 5 in the country.
    I think Sark is doing a good job of getting "SEC ready".
    He's building from the inside out and putting large humans in the trenches.
    I don't know why there would be a huge exodus of players leaving early unless we end up in the championship game this season and half our team expects to go in the first two rounds of the draft.
    The future's so bright I gotta wear (burnt orange) shades.
    :hookem::bevo:

• Like Like x 2
  16. dukesteer

dukesteer 5,000+ Posts

I think it would take a colossal underachievement this year for consideration to be given to replacing Sark’s. Nine wins would be a big disappointment, but probably would not place his job in immediate jeopardy.

I see 2024 differently. Even if Ewers is gone as expected and redshirt freshman Manning is barking the signals, there are certain position groups that are going to be outstanding. Outside of a mass exodus, we might have the best OL in the country in 2024. I also think the running back room, the receivers and the linebackers should be very good. There will be some reshuffling on the DL, but that unit seems to be solid every year. The talent that is being recruited rivals what Mack Brown was doing in the mid-2000s.

So I tend to believe that we will be competing for the prize in 2024, and quite possibly this year as well.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  17. Htown77

Htown77 5,000+ Posts

Traylor was not on the Texas staff when Del Conte was here. Traylor was not yet qualified when we hired Sark.

CdC actually has not hired very many successful coaches in his time.

Del Conte inherited David Pierce at Texas, Jim Schlossnagle at TCU and Wayne Graham at Rice... meaning he has never hired a single baseball coach.

Del Conte's only football hires have been David Bailiff and Steve Sarkisian. David Bailiff was a good hire. Steve Sarkisian is tbd. That's not a big sample.

Del Conte hired Ben Braun for Rice Basketball. Braun did not win at Rice. Del Conte hired Jim Christian for TCU Basketball. Christian did not win at TCU or later Boston College. Del Conte next hired Trent Johnson for TCU basketball. Tent Johnson did not win at TCU and has not had success since his Stanford stint ended in 2008... years before he took the TCU job. Del Conte hired Jamie Dixon at TCU which has been a success. Dixon, a TCU alumni, seemed like he would have gone back to his alma mater regardless of the AD.

After letting Shaka stay way past his expiration, Del Conte hired Chris Beard who was a home run, but likely would have returned to his alma mater regardless of the AD. Now Del Conte has promoted Rodney Terry from being an interim coach.

In short... is the above truly evidence of Del Conte's alleged hiring prowess? Bailiff was solid, but otherwise his two best hires were both likely heading back to their alma maters regardless. The jury is out on Sark and Terry.

• Agree Agree x 2
  18. ViperHorn

ViperHorn 10,000+ Posts

He could have hired Traylor as the Athletic Department knew all about him. He would have been a poor hire for Texas, but was a good hire for UTSA.

CdC is in charge. If his bosses don't like what he is going, they will replace him. The Athletic Department was a mess when he took over. He has improved all facilities and built Moody basically for free to the University. He isn't going anywhere.

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  19. mchammer

mchammer 10,000+ Posts

I think you are missing the point. The best coaches want to work for CDC. It increases the pool of coaches to choose from.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  20. ViperHorn

ViperHorn 10,000+ Posts

And he chose from that Pool. You disagree with his choices and have given up. None of us know what was involved with his coaching decisions, but I suspect the actual Pool was a lot smaller than most think.

• Winner Winner x 2
  21. WJHorn

WJHorn 25+ Posts

There have certainly been more than three or four mediocre years for baseball in the last decade, including 2013 and 2019 in which we finished DEAD LAST in the Big XII. Think about it - that should NEVER happen at the University of Texas in baseball, and we did it twice in the last decade. If that isn't mediocre, then I don't know what is. We haven't been to 7 CWS in the last decade, either. I believe it is 4 and two of those were extremely lucky (super-regionals against powerhouse programs Tenn Tech and ECU) which we promptly squandered going 2-n-Q in Omaha in both cases.

22. guy4321

guy4321 2,500+ Posts

Thread title: I've seen enough

I have not seen enough...

• Funny Funny x 1
  23. Vol Horn 4 Life

Vol Horn 4 Life Good Bye To All The Rest!

You said since 2010 so I went back and counted its 5. The 6th was in 2009 not 2010.

24. yelladawgdem

yelladawgdem 2,500+ Posts

No we fired Fred because he played defense and didn't cheat.

We showed him!!

:texasflag:

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  25. 1sahorn

1sahorn 1,000+ Posts

I was never a fan of "Not Ready Freddy." He was HC of the team that went out to Lubbuttock in the late 70's (?) &, upon deplaning on the tarmac refused to walk on the Saddle Tramps' red carpet they rolled out for visiting teams. Walking around the carpet they spit tobacco juice on it. That was 1. disgustingly unsportsmanlike, 2. made it very difficult on Horns living there & 3. was pretty typical of the team's he coached.

26. mb227

mb227 de Plorable

upload_2023-4-9_15-17-45.png

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  27. mchammer

mchammer 10,000+ Posts

LULZ. Baseball finished 9th.

28. mchammer

mchammer 10,000+ Posts

Women soccer opens the season ranked 15th. Also has a shot at reaching the quarterfinals this year (basically top ten).

Will Texas football finally crawl out of the basement of Texas sports?

29. mchammer

mchammer 10,000+ Posts

Underrated post.

• Funny Funny x 1
  30. Duck Dodgers

Duck Dodgers 1,000+ Posts

There's no doubt Texas football has underperformed for a near decade and a half, 2009 being the last good season. Coaching, and to some extent luck, always plays a part.

Brown was clearly worn out and washed up after the 2009 season, and while 9 win seasons were but a dream during the Charlie Strong Experience, it was clear that that was the top end of what he was going to produce.

CS was just a disaster. He-Man was OK, with flashes of the possibility of something better, followed quickly by a loss. So far Sark hasn't shown much on the field, except for the wondrous beat down of OU last year.

The Alabama game last year, as I said before it was played, was the indicator as to if Sark was going to have early, 2nd year success as good coaches often do, or was at best, a slow and gradual improvement like Mack.