Japreece Dean leaving Texas Tech

Discussion in 'Women’s Basketball' started by Moooooo, Nov 21, 2016.

1. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

Tough for Tech:

2. racerx5908

racerx5908 2,500+ Posts

I know that Tech is loaded with transfers that have had to sit out for a year. Assume she got beat out and is looking for starting time elsewhere?

3. utfannforlife

utfannforlife 1,000+ Posts

No she didnt, her stats look pretty comparable to last season. That is why I am sure this comes as a huge shock to a majority of their team.

4. breckenj05

breckenj05 100+ Posts

I watched their game on Sunday when they played New Mexico and the announcers mentioned Japreece wasn't with the team and that Coach Whitaker did not want to talk about it. Wonder what did happen, she was a bright spot for them last year. I can say that this Tech team seems to belong to Recee Caldwell. She struggled all game until the 4th quarter then scored 12 points, but she had scored over 30 points in both of their first two games.

5. loyallonghorn

loyallonghorn 500+ Posts

Not the least bit surprised.

With such a dearth of talent at Texas Tech, Candi Whitaker made deal to bring on Recee Caldwell's father, Ray Caldwell, as an assistant coach (salary) in order to recruit talent; he's been with San Antonio Finests. He's bringing both his daughters, Recee and Desiree, with him to Texas Tech.

Both Recee and Desiree are point guards and the writings on the wall that Japreece Dean's time was over. How do you compete against another point guard whose father is the assistant coach that the head coach is relying on in recruiting talent; you can't. It's the dirty secret of NCAA basketball.

After watching the Texas Tech - Texas A&M and New Mexico - Texas Tech games, it appears there's one set of rules for the team, and no rules for Recee. She can take as many shots all over the court as she wants. Remember, it was Ray Caldwell who selfishly pulled Recee out of high school basketball mid-season that left Johnson H.S. "out to dry", as described by the high school coach (no child pulls themselves out of school by themselves). It's going to get messy in Lubbock before it's all over because the Caldwells appear to be all about the Caldwells.

http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/...ll-embarks-on-path-least-traveled-4301361.php

Last edited: Nov 22, 2016
  6. overseasbbfan1

overseasbbfan1 1,000+ Posts

Agree, it's one thing to lose a starting spot based on play; nothing is set in stone, and roles can evolve. But if you guarantee starting positions as a ploy for securing transfers, and then expect you can just "work it out" with others who might be displaced, and are otherwise deserving of that spot in the starting lineup, then you have to accept the consequences. None of this is to say Japreece would have always maintained her starting role, but certainly based on her play last season, she should have began the year as starter, and if others were more deserving as the season progressed, so be it. But you can't base a decision like that on early practices; she earned her spot and others should have been required to do the same to take it away from her. If this type of scenario is how the situation actually unfolded, good on her for moving on.

Last edited: Nov 22, 2016
  7. breckenj05

breckenj05 100+ Posts

Japreece did start in the two games she played, I'm not sure that playing time was the issue but maybe being the star of the team was. Larryn Brooks, the transfer from Indiana started in placed of Japreece on Sunday.

8. overseasbbfan1

overseasbbfan1 1,000+ Posts

I didn't see the games and so don't know what the roles were, or who was running the point. Obviously the dynamic wasn't working, for Japreece anyway. It will be interesting to see where she ends up. Since she's leaving after just a couple of games, does she still have to sit out all of next year? Or can she play somewhere else next fall?

9. breckenj05

breckenj05 100+ Posts

She will have two and half years of eligibility left, so she will sit out this spring 2017 and next fall 2017 and be eligible again in Spring 2018.

10. brnkj

brnkj 2,500+ Posts

Last year I was sure wondering how in the hell she ended up at Tech from Austin... She was a really good PG as a freshman! Maybe she'll end up playing for Travis AT SMU. That would be a really good pick up for them.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

12. utfannforlife

utfannforlife 1,000+ Posts

Knowing both girls, I can definitively say that they both have selfish "helicopter" fathers. So to put it all on Ray wouldn't be entirely fair. Also, Recee is the better pg and its honestly not even close. So if that was the issue then it was a good thing Dean moved on. But she is a flat out star and will be an all conference talent wherever she ends up. Also not fair to call out Tech for something that a lot of programs do (ours included). Coaches hire assistants that can attract top talent, and if that also includes their own children then so be it. I will never apologize for coach Aston being able to hire GW and the talent he was able to bring with him (at the time is was Dry, JSB, Sedona & Lashann)