Jarrett Allen Saga

Discussion in 'Men’s Basketball' started by txlandagent, May 17, 2016.

1. txlandagent

txlandagent 500+ Posts

Last edited: May 17, 2016
  2. BabHorn

BabHorn 10,000+ Posts

Indecisive, maybe. tormented? didn't get that. But I bet Coach Smart will take him as long as a ship is available.

3. mchammer

mchammer 10,000+ Posts

Haven't we concluded that the kid has attitude and/or entitlement issues?

4. NBHorn7

NBHorn7 Pimp Daddy

Rumors abound on 247 sports, that Allen committed to Texas Sunday night and will announce that tomorrow.

Others say it is between Texas and Houston now, while some say he will not make a decision till later, even if he has to wait all summer.

Who knows at this point, but you would think by now, all the cards are on the table, from all schools involved. If he doesn't decide by tomorrow, it just looks like he is stringing Texas along, waiting to see if the other schools can offer more, than they have so far.

Texas has nothing more to offer and they have other needs to fill.

5. ViperHorn

ViperHorn 10,000+ Posts

Be a hero in the Third Ward or be a Hero across the nation - should be a fairly easy decision, but it isn't.

6. bystander

bystander 10,000+ Posts

As a parent I would STRONGLY advise my son to avoid Sampson due to his shady past concerning his NCAA violations.

As for him coming to Texas, I don't view him as a savior. I see him as depth and five fouls that we will need per game from a front-line player because we are so thin. If we get anything close to Miles Turner's production (10.6 pts, 6.5 rebounds, 2.6 ) it will be a bonus.

7. easy

easy 2,500+ Posts

Hope this is true, this has been a wild go round

• Like Like x 1
  8. txlandagent

txlandagent 500+ Posts

"Will be attending Texas. Big pick up for Texas". really? Big pick up?? Not signing a binding commitment means he can transfer any time.

Just on principal Shaka should pull the offer from this idiot.

9. NBHorn7

NBHorn7 Pimp Daddy

If he doesn't sign a LOI before midnight, he can't participate in any summer drills. So he might not even enroll till the fall and would behind the other freshman.

What is the reason for all this waiting, if he is going to come to Texas?

• Like Like x 1
  10. meadowlark

meadowlark 100+ Posts

^^^ in my view, the most disturbing scenario in all of this is that... he has refused to openly acknowledge and commit within the most appropriate time slot (may 18, 16) and now it is all up for grabs. this player may do just what good ole (me and me only TURNER did).... play one very uneventful year... place TEXAS upon his collegiate resume... and then get the hell out of austin, tx.

if it all wasn't so unfair and pathetic to coach smart along with all of LONGHORN NATION, it would indeed be quite sad....

11. rattfatt

rattfatt 500+ Posts

Good for Jarrett Allen. I hope more players like Allen do the same thing and not sign the one sided contract that they don't have to sign.

12. NBHorn7

NBHorn7 Pimp Daddy

Bolden is doing the same thing to Kentucky and Duke, must be a new thing.

Of course Kentucky and Duke have others they can get or already have, so they can wait or do something else, without much worry.

Texas is not in this kind of position yet, so this kind of thing is tougher on them.

This does kind of look like a player who believes he is a one and done.

If it's so one sided, then let him go pro and see how far he gets. He can go to China or Europe and then later enter the NBA draft.

13. rattfatt

rattfatt 500+ Posts

They shoud be allowed to go to the nba right out of highschool. You can go to Iraq and get blown up when you're eighteen, but you can't get a job in the nba.

14. NBHorn7

NBHorn7 Pimp Daddy

How is it one sided for a player to go to school two semesters and play one season on scholarship and leave?

15. NBHorn7

NBHorn7 Pimp Daddy

You can also go to Europe or China and play for money.

16. NBHorn7

NBHorn7 Pimp Daddy

Your not forced to go anywhere, or have you heard the draft ended, I'm not talking about the NBA draft either.

If you join the military, on your own accord, then that's what you wanted.

I believe the NBA has the right to stipulate who they hire or don't hire and how they do that. If a player doesn't like it, like I said, there's always overseas basketball.

Last edited: May 19, 2016
  17. rattfatt

rattfatt 500+ Posts

Playing in the D- league or going overseas for a year obviously is not the same as being allowed to make a living at the highest level. The nba just like the nfl is using college basketball as a free minor league system. The gm's and scouts get to see them play for a year before they draft them.

18. NBHorn7

NBHorn7 Pimp Daddy

Then you should probably bring a lawsuit against them, good luck.

As I said, they have the right to hire people however they see fit, just like any other business. I hear they pay really well too.

19. ViperHorn

ViperHorn 10,000+ Posts

The high school players didn't dream up this gimmick on their own. Someone is pulling their strings. All the more reason to say no thank you.

20. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

"...... Just because Allen did not sign a national letter of intent does not mean Texas, Kansas or Houston are now incapable of landing his services. Far from it, actually.

Allen could make his decision and sign what’s known as an athletic scholarship agreement, or ASA. That’s what a majority of transfers sign when they arrive at their new schools. It’s simply not what the overwhelming majority of high school seniors do.

Many sign a letter of intent within the fall or spring signing windows just to have the recruiting process over with.

By signing a national letter of intent, players are bound to schools for at least one year. In turn, the schools agree to provide tuition, books, room and board for one athletic year as well.

If a recruit chose to leave without the school’s consent, he or she could be docked a year of eligibility, as outlined by the letter of intent and the NCAA transfer rules.

Defensive tackle Du’Vonta Lampkin signed with Texas but then chose to attend Oklahoma. After a long, drawn out compliance battle, UT ultimately released Lampkin from his obligation and the player incurred no eligibility penalty.

Generally speaking, schools have become lenient in letting athletes out of their letter of intent requirement after a coaching change.

While this is an unorthodox situation, Allen has never mislead the Texas coaching staff, two sources said. He has never publicly announced a commitment to one school then changed his mind. In fact, Allen has been mostly quiet throughout the recruiting process.

So the wait continues. Some recruiting services have hinted Allen was close to making a decision, but ultimately, only he knows."

21. bystander

bystander 10,000+ Posts

From what I'm reading here and other places it just sounds as if he hasn't made up his mind and wants to keep his options open even if it stunts his development (assuming he cannot work out with the team as mentioned above absent a signed LOI).

22. easy

easy 2,500+ Posts

So by not signing the loi he can take summer classes where ever he wants and if he likes the fit he can stay and go there or switch back in the fall without any penalty. He just basically showed guys who didn't really know they could do this how to work the system

23. MobiusHorn

MobiusHorn 100+ Posts

Don't forget that this is a 17 yo kid. Don't attribute adult emotions and adult sophistication to his actions. My guess (which is all everyone here is doing) is that he's being pulled in alot of different directions and likely doesn't know what he wants to do. Leaving his options open is likely a reflection of his indecision rather than a sophisticated manipulation of the system. I wish him luck and if Texas is where he wants to end up so much the better.

24. NBHorn7

NBHorn7 Pimp Daddy

25. longhorn47

longhorn47 500+ Posts

Is Calipari on his way to Texas?

26. bystander

bystander 10,000+ Posts

Makes as much sense as anything else; maybe Calipari told Jarrett that he had to wait for Bolden to decide. Now the scholarship is available.

27. easy

easy 2,500+ Posts

Reports saying he has signed scholarship papers to attend Texas

• Like Like x 1
  28. meadowlark

meadowlark 100+ Posts

^^^ @easy hey my pal, where are you acquiring this startling revelation on allen?

29. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

Orangebloods hinting something coming
    Sounds like Allen but hard to be certain from the way they are writing

30. ViperHorn

ViperHorn 10,000+ Posts

If it is true I hope Smart knows what he is doing.