Jarrett Allen Saga

Discussion in 'Men’s Basketball' started by txlandagent, May 17, 2016.

1. mchammer

mchammer 10,000+ Posts

Worst case he is on team for a year. Next year is a crap shoot anyway - why not take the risk.

2. meadowlark

meadowlark 100+ Posts

[​IMG]
    ^^^ may someone please explain to me just what is the utter significance of this particular player JARRET ALLEN? just how is it humanly possible for this specific player to get away with being the ULTIMATE DIVA.. all the while being only the #15th ranked collegiate 2016 recruit in the nation? every other 2016 basketball recruit in the nation has signed off on their respective NLI's except for ALLEN. why is he the very last one? what is the problem? what exactly in the holy hell is he waiting for? as i have duly stated upon many other forums... coach shaka smart along with his staffers, have been involved with trying to recruit this particular player for quite some time now. he knows this player and his family like the back of his hand. coach smart has traveled to many of his respective games to witness first hand his many triumphs and whatnots. coach smart has shown his love and devotion to this player over and over again. just why on earth does this player feel that he is supreme and above all others in this nation. what kind of TEAM PLAYER will he become? due to his DIVA like attitude, EVERYONE expects for him to be just like the TURNER guy (one and done) so is it fair to our great institution TEXAS.. to be put through this constant ALLEN CIRCUS?

i know that this may be an unpopular rant, (because EVERYONE including myself would like to see this player signed and in the TEXAS fold) but i am certain that for anyone who knows me personally, you will know that i live and breathe the UNIVERSITY OF TEXAS, and i do not like for anyone to play us like the constant fool. there is simply no " I " in the word TEAM! therefore, someone somewhere needs to end this constant DIVA performance that is mr. jarrett allen.

if not, then may someone PLEASE explain all of this in the most comprehensive manner that is possible.
    the soapbox is now yours....

• Like Like x 1
    Last edited: Jun 2, 2016
  3. Sangre Naranjada

Sangre Naranjada 10,000+ Posts

[​IMG]
    learn to speak normal English

4. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

• Like Like x 1
  5. easy

easy 2,500+ Posts

Maybe he just really didn't know where he wanted to go. They said the household was split dad wanted Houston mom wanted Texas

• Like Like x 1
  6. majorwhiteapples

majorwhiteapples 5,000+ Posts

Meadowlark:

Two things here:
    1.) Let's not blame the kid(s) for One and Done. They are being denied the "Right to Work" or even filling out an application to play in the NBA. This is because the NBA did not like paying the kids who skipped college and take that risk, it is not the kids fault. For the life of me, I don't know how this has not been challenged in the courts.
    2.) The kids is providing one year of service for one year of school, sounds fair to me. Let's not use the loyalty terminology, as we all know in this imperfect world there is very little loyalty to you or the company you work for in todays world.

Let's not blame the kid for working the rules to his favor, you would do it if you could. If you had the skill you would take those skills to another job where they would pay you millions upon millions of dollars.

• Like Like x 1
  7. bystander

bystander 10,000+ Posts

I can assure you from a very painful and personal experience that two parents, determined to steer their child in different directions can paralyze a child's mind.

As for one and done comments, it is my personal opinion that there should be no restrictions to immediate entry into a professional league based upon age or college experience. If you are good enough then you are good enough. If the professional sports franchises cannot evaluate talent at that age then they shouldn't draft them.

Look at all the children over the years who are professional actors and musical performers and yet we are barring other ADULTS (18+) from earning a living in a particular profession? It's ridiculous.

• Like Like x 1
    Last edited: Jun 3, 2016
  8. ViperHorn

ViperHorn 10,000+ Posts

Baseball has it right - go pro right after high school or after the Junior year in college. This give the colleges a chance to get some return on their investment - education, room and board, coaches, facilities, etc..

• Like Like x 2
  9. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

• Like Like x 3
  10. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

• Like Like x 3
  11. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

12. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

13. bystander

bystander 10,000+ Posts

It would appear that Shaka's emotional self-control is a HUGE asset to the program. We as fans were understandably frustrated with the delay. Shaka on the other hand waited it out and did not use ultimatums. He was rewarded for this.

Clearly, it's not just X's and O's. You have to have the patience to accept present frustration for a future gain.

• Like Like x 1
  14. majorwhiteapples

majorwhiteapples 5,000+ Posts

Viper,
    While I don't disagree that it works well in College Baseball, the scholarships in baseball are weird, not all players are getting full rides. Some are only getting half scholarships. I don't know exactly how it is done in college baseball or even at Texas for that matter, but scholarships are for one year and then have to be renewed every year. In that case I don't think a kid should have to wait if someone is willing to take the chance.

The ROI for a kid at a school with draftable talent is a pretty short time window, if he has major league talent I would say the ROI on the kid is less than 1 year.

I am guessing at these numbers:
    1 year full scholarship, equipment cost of coaches all the overhead per 1 Full scholarship: $150,000?
    Annual Texas Baseball revenues: $10,000,000 divided by 25 players, what $400,000 is the revenue earned per player......

Again, my numbers are made up, maybe someone with better knowledge could put in the numbers.

15. UTExinPDX

UTExinPDX 1,000+ Posts

Welcome to Texas, Jarrett! :hookem2:

• Like Like x 1
  16. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

'
    '

• Like Like x 3
  17. easy

easy 2,500+ Posts

• Like Like x 3
  18. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

19. txlandagent

txlandagent 500+ Posts

I hope everyone realizes Allen isn't suiting up for summer drills. He's enrolling for summer classes. He can (and very possibly may) still decide to play somewhere else in the next 3 months. Just a heads up. Everybody reporing he's "committed" to Texas is inaccurate, albeit misleading and sensational.

• Like Like x 1
  20. bystander

bystander 10,000+ Posts

That would appear to be the case as for what remains possible...

21. meadowlark

meadowlark 100+ Posts

22. mars

mars 100+ Posts

What would the point of this be? How would just taking classes and not playing basketball help him figure out whether he made the right decision or not?

• Like Like x 1
  23. bystander

bystander 10,000+ Posts

It gives him more time to think it over. Nobody really knows why he waited this long; bottom-line is he kept his options open and they remain open. For some reason that is important to him and his family.

24. mars

mars 100+ Posts

But, couldn't he just wait until fall if that were the case? Why would it be necessary to sign scholarship papers now in order to buy more time?

25. bystander

bystander 10,000+ Posts

Maybe he locked UT in to him while keeping the door open for himself. I guess UT could rescind the scholarship at anytime but what is the likelihood that they would do that? In this way, Allen has the commitment from the University in hand.

26. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

What's up Monarch?

-----------------------------------------------
    Here is the Draft Express write.up on Allen from 2 months ago --

Jarrett Allen, 6'10.5”, Center, Uncommitted, 2016
    -- by Mike Schmitz

Strengths
    -Outstanding physical profile for an NBA center – 6' 10.5” with a 7' 5.5” wingspan, 9' 2.5” standing reach, and 227-pound frame that will fill out really nicely. Huge hands.
    -Very mobile. Can get up and down in transition. Long strides. Solid leaper in space.
    -Super quick off of his feet. Impressive agility on spin moves.
    -Tremendous instincts and timing as a shot blocker. Far and away the best rim protector at the Nike Hoop Summit.
    -Able to get in a stance and defend pick and roll. Covers ground. Showed that he can switch some ball screens and hold his own.
    -Competes on the glass. Reach and quick leaping ability allow him to snatch boards in traffic.
    -Soft hands. Catches everything. Has some touch around the rim with his right hand.
    -Can make a free throw jumper.
    -Quick and accurate outlet passes to streaking teammates.

Weaknesses
    -Not overly tall for a center at 6' 10.5”, although he makes up for it with length.
    -Doesn't have a ton of pop as a leaper, especially from a standstill.
    -Basic offensive game. Very right-hand dominant. Doesn't have counter moves in the post. Has a ways to go as a scorer in the half court. Can also improve as a passer in the half court.
    -Not very versatile on the offensive end.
    -Can polish his defensive fundamentals. Will allow deep catches. Too high up guarding ball screens at times.
    -Very quiet on the floor.

Outlook Few prospects helped themselves as much as Allen. He continues to improve at every event and looks more and more like a one-and-done, first-round pick each time he takes the floor. With his length, mobility, defensive instincts, soft hands and touch around the rim, it's very easy to envision Allen playing a role in the NBA and eventually developing into something more than that. His game isn't flashy but centers like Allen don't grow on trees. He figures to be an impact defender from day one at the college level, regardless of which school he chooses. His overall upside will most likely be determined by how he progresses on the offensive end of the floor.
    http://www.draftexpress.com/article/Nike-Hoop-Summit-Scouting-Reports-Big-Men-5435/

• Like Like x 1
    Last edited: Jun 4, 2016
  27. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

28. moondog_LFZ

moondog_LFZ 5,000+ Posts

29. caryhorn

caryhorn 5,000+ Posts

:bounce1::bounce2::yippee:

As you see, I am ecstatic Jarrett is a Horn.

• Like Like x 1
    Last edited: Jun 4, 2016
  30. 56 Bells

56 Bells 500+ Posts

I'll try to explain. He's a Top 10 National recruit....obviously, he's had offers from every major basketball program. He chose UT over the likes of Kansas, Kentucky, North Carolina, U Con...and on and on and on....
    He looked at all of those storied basketball programs, and still decided UT was the place to be.

Looks like a good decision-maker to me!

In fact, who could not be excited for UT and Shaka? Makes us a Top 10 recruiting class, too!

• Like Like x 2