Jarrett Allen Saga

Discussion in 'Men’s Basketball' started by txlandagent, May 17, 2016.

1. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

Shaka says the 6'10 Allen "will make an immediate imprint on our team

• Like Like x 1
  2. Brad Austin

Brad Austin 2,500+ Posts

Everybody in orange praised and desired this kid joining the program. His uncomfortable delay is the ONLY lame reason sour grapes entered the picture.

He's the same stud player and hugely desired addition today as he was before extending past NSD. The only change is the perception of a small group of pouting fans.

This is a huge pick-up for us and every Horns fan should be ecstatic. :hookem:

• Like Like x 4
  3. txlandagent

txlandagent 500+ Posts

Let's revisit the sour grapes notion in August when Allen is on the clock again.

• Like Like x 1
  4. meadowlark

meadowlark 100+ Posts

^^^ @Joe Fan i love you my pal, but in order to register an actual "imprint" you cannot be listed as a suspected "one and done" player. i simply LOVE the very fact that jarrett allen has finally graced TEXAS with his profound presence, but in my most honest view... he is more likely a PHANTOM MENACE.... create a little havoc... and outa here.....

• Like Like x 1
  5. txlandagent

txlandagent 500+ Posts

This

• Like Like x 1
  6. bystander

bystander 10,000+ Posts

We are living in a new era; it takes a certain kind of coach to be able to thrive in this environment. Calipari has mastered whatever it takes. Shaka has two 5-star recruits (assumes Allen doesn't pull a last minute transfer before the fall semester which apparently he can still do) and two 4-star recruits. There's been some truly great players come through here but is thi not possibly the greatest recruiting class ever? And it's just Shaka's first year!

Not sure about the sour grapes; I was slightly annoyed over the long wait back in that small part of my brain that I allow to worry about these sorts of things. But Shaka did what he had to do and is paid to do; wait it out and in the meanwhile work on transfers; he landed two.

Things look pretty good if you're able to handle the delays and uncertainties of the new world.

7. caryhorn

caryhorn 5,000+ Posts

I think Kevin Durant is a very decent Longhorn one and done player who has made a positive imprint on the Longhorn nation and made a very positive contribution to the team that one year he was here.

I have no problems if a player is good enough to get the big contract after one year and leaves. I would rather him be playing well here in that year than somewhere else. And who knows, maybe he stays here longer.

• Like Like x 3
  8. SAMMCHornfan

SAMMCHornfan 250+ Posts

Bystander? Greatest class ever? By what standard? Go back and look at the 2006 class. 5 players in Rivals Too 100. I am sure there are other classes that rival this one, but I am happy with it just the same.

9. blonthang

blonthang 2,500+ Posts

I had posted that the LaSalle Thompson, Mike Wacker class was all-time best. Researched, Thompson was 1980, Wacker was 1981.

Last edited: Jun 5, 2016
  10. bystander

bystander 10,000+ Posts

Well don't get me wrong; not trying to start an argument. Maybe I'm being too enthusiastic. I'm just talking about the ratings and not how they turned out. In 2009 there were 2 five stars (Hamilton and Bradley) and 2 four stars (J'Covan Brown and Shawn Williams). So on just pure ratings, then I'm incorrect to say this is the best class ever. But it's a pretty damn impressive haul given that it is Smart's first year and I still think it's a deep haul that has the potential to be the best of any particular class recruited in the past.

11. SAMMCHornfan

SAMMCHornfan 250+ Posts

Even with the signing of Allen, I am thinking Andrew Jones will have the bigger impact. IMHO.

• Like Like x 3
  12. txlandagent

txlandagent 500+ Posts

I think Mariek Isom is going to be huge for us. He'll fill a different role than James, but he's going to bring a lot of dimension to our roster.

Isom led the Sun Belt Conference in 3-point shooting percentage (.450) as a sophomore. He finished his Junior campaign shooting 40.6 percent from the floor, 39.6 percent from 3-point range, (for comparison, Conner Lammert shot 33.6 percent from 3-point range last season) and 78.4 percent from the foul line for a UALR team that advanced farther than Texas did in the NCAA tournament. He only averaged 19 mins per game but apparently he is somewhat of a defensive liability and gets into foul trouble. I'm guessing Shaka and co. get those aspects of his game shored up.

I like that this young man graduated a year and half early and is now enrolling in a Masters program at Texas. It shows drive, commitment, resolve, and strong character. That's the kind of player we want on our team. Huge transfer pickup for Shaka.

• Like Like x 2
  13. Horn6721

Horn6721 10,000+ Posts

I confess I am ignorant on how this works.
    So did Allen sign a letter of intent? If not what did he sign? If he didn't sign a LOI why are people saying he is part of the 16-17 recruiting class for the Horns?

14. txlandagent

txlandagent 500+ Posts

Allen signed an Athletic Scholarship Agreement. This is non-binding. He did not sign an LOI. He is not obligated to The University of Texas in any way, other than to pass the summer classes he enrolled in. He can still transfer to any school he chooses prior to fall enrollment and play immediately for that team. In fact, Bill Self just publicly announced he was still actively recruiting Allen.

Journalism 101: Fast and wrong beats slow and right any day.

• Like Like x 2
  15. ViperHorn

ViperHorn 10,000+ Posts

If he leaves after the summer he will deserve the Brown/Smart bad karma that will follow him the remainder of his playing days.

16. Horn6721

Horn6721 10,000+ Posts

Thanks for the explanationTLA
    so UT pays his expenses for the summer but he can go anywhere?
    I can see why Coach Smart did it and why he is talking about Allen as if he is pat of the team.

17. mars

mars 100+ Posts

Does anyone know of any other cases in which a player signed a scholarship agreement at one school, attended summer classes, and then left to play for another school? I get that it's possible but has it happened?

• Like Like x 1
  18. meadowlark

meadowlark 100+ Posts

^^^ it makes me sick to even think about it! i would blame the coach and his staffers for allowing something of this nature to occur. NO ONE PLAYER SHOULD BE ELEVATED ABOVE THE ENTIRE TEAM...... especially if he/she is too egotistical to sign a normal LOI/NLI like everyone else....

• Like Like x 1
  19. dadrivr

dadrivr 25+ Posts

It's not a big deal that he signed after National Signing Day. It happens every year, especially with top players.

Jarrett Allen is a huge pick up, not only for this year when we need the frontcourt help, but (even if he is a one and done, which is not guaranteed) also for recruiting top players moving forward. This is an important stepping stone for the program to become a reliable contender.

• Like Like x 2
    Last edited: Jun 6, 2016
  20. txlandagent

txlandagent 500+ Posts

Brandon Knight executed an ASA only in 2010 at Kentucky. He publicly stated the only reason he didn't sign an NLI was because Caliparis future there was uncertain. Calipari stayed, Knight committed and played one season. He was a known 1 and done guy. That's the only case I know of.

• Like Like x 1
    Last edited: Jun 6, 2016
  21. dadrivr

dadrivr 25+ Posts

22. majorwhiteapples

majorwhiteapples 5,000+ Posts

Isn't he trying out for the 18U Olympic team that Shaka is coaching? I thought I saw some tweets about that.....

23. dadrivr

dadrivr 25+ Posts