Jay Bilas sucks...

Discussion in 'Men’s Basketball' started by ProdigalHorn, Dec 5, 2017.

1. ProdigalHorn

ProdigalHorn 10,000+ Posts

The top 68 teams, and Texas is nowhere in sight. Listed from the Big XII are: Kansas, TCU, Texas Tech, West Virginia, Baylor, Oklahoma, Iowa State, Kansas State, Oklahoma State. Did he leave anyone out? Oh, and Houston, Texas A&M, and SMU too... No word on whether we're ahead of UTSA or UTEP. We can only hope.

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-ba...lume-1-looks-best-68-teams-college-basketball

Oh... and he needs to stop mumbling during broadcasts. I could barely understand half of what he said during the PK tournament.

2. Dionysus

Dionysus Idoit Admin

Was he the one who kept calling out “dumb” plays, like the players were some kind of idiot when they made a mistake? Think it was against Duke.

He seems like a douchenugget.

• Like Like x 2
  3. ProdigalHorn

Yeah he's pretty pointed in a lot of his critiques, and I don't necessarily mind that. But I do think sometimes he fixates a little more on negative commentary. He's definitely the anti-Vitale in that he's not loud, he's not positive, and he's not particularly interesting aside from the actual insights he offers. Although he is bald...

4. txlandagent

txlandagent 500+ Posts

Bilas is an insufferable troll. Texas is easily in the top 40 if not better. He’s up to something...

Last edited: Dec 5, 2017
  5. caryhorn

caryhorn 5,000+ Posts

Honestly, I don't know where we belong in the list. The next five games will give us a good read. I think we'll do well. tonight against VCU will be a test. Then Michigan. If we win those two that puts us in the top 50. Win against alabama then we are in the top 40. This all assumes we win the games we should against weaker teams.

Bilas didn't include our team in that list because we have NO consistent outside jump shooters. We have a horrendous three point make percentage. If we could just hit 33% we'd be top ten. Right now we'd be undefeated. But we must improve the outside shot or we will be in trouble.

• Like Like x 1
  6. ProdigalHorn

I'm not sure either, but I'm pretty sure we actually belong ON it somewhere.

• Like Like x 1
  7. bystander

bystander 10,000+ Posts

Texas has got to be top 30 at least. Taking Duke and then Gonzaga to OT means something doesn't it?

I tired of Bilas long time ago during the NBA drafts when he called every single player "long." I was like, get over it.

8. caryhorn

caryhorn 5,000+ Posts

Had VCU's frantic comeback been all the way to beating us, then i would question whether or not we belonged in the top 65. And we had only one win of note: Butler. But since we beat a decent team on the road, I think we've earned top fifty consideration. And if we go on and beat UM here and the UA we are in the hunt for top 30.

Is anyone else wondering why we can't seem to put teams away in the 2nd half? We've blown huge leads. What up with that? I get it that Duke is great, and they will come back on most teams. But vcu?

• Like Like x 1
  9. Run Pincher

Run Pincher 2,500+ Posts

Hopefully it's BB material for our team to go out and prove what a moron JB is.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Omniscient.one

Omniscient.one 500+ Posts

A ton of people in the comments section, not all UT fans, said leaving us out is asinine. I think he just made a mistake.

11. txlandagent

txlandagent 500+ Posts

I liked our win vs. #7 Aggy at Rice. But, yeah, another case where we had a 17pt lead and let the opponent fight back to within 1.

I think it boils down to team leadership and floor presence. When we're pressing @havoc, we can't seem to settle in on offense. When we're poised on offense, making buckets, executing plays and getting good shot selection, we're ho hum on defense. We just can't put both sides of the ball together in the same game and close it out.

I think this team has the ability. Just not there yet. Maybe they will come tournament time which is really all that matters. Shaka just needs to get in their *** more and stop worrying about hurting feelings. And we need DO, MO, Coleman, Jones, Roach, someone, anyone.....to get hyped and exude swagger and motivate...every single game. Start to finish.

• Like Like x 1
  12. caryhorn

caryhorn 5,000+ Posts

I forgot about this^^^. No doubt that was a good win, especially after how atm has played so far!

13. SAMMCHornfan

SAMMCHornfan 250+ Posts

://m.espn.com/ncb/bracketology

Actually, I think that is the only ranking we should be concerned about. And I see that going way up after it is all said and done. At least a 4 seed. IMHO.

14. caryhorn

caryhorn 5,000+ Posts

I love your optimism SammC. What do you think our B12 record needs to be to get a four seed?

15. SAMMCHornfan

SAMMCHornfan 250+ Posts

Actually Cary, I may have jumped the gun a little too quick. But I would say 12-6 would get the Horns a four seed. It is unbelievable how strong this conference has looked from top to bottom. If they beat both Michigan and Bama in the next couple of weeks, they already make a jump. Beat KU at home, they skyrocket.

• Like Like x 1
  16. ProdigalHorn

12-6 got people a three-way tie for second place in the league last year, and I wouldn't be surprised at that again this year. I think it's going to depend on the Michigan and Alabama games - if we sweep those, that probably means we go 10-2 in non conference, 22-8 if we get 12-6 in the league. (Bama has played teams tough but their best win is against a pretty blah Memphis team.) That MIGHT be good enough for a 4... but barring a big-time statement win in the league a la beating Kansas at home, I'm not sure this team ever breaks into the top 10-15 teams, which means it's probably looking at a 5 at best.

Having said that... man, this schedule is tough. Outside of maybe OK State and K State, there's not anyone on that slate that I could pencil Texas in for a road win - and that's not a knock on Texas. Everybody's just that good.

17. SAMMCHornfan

SAMMCHornfan 250+ Posts

I absolutely agree with the toughness of the conference and it just got a heck of a lot tougher with the loss of Jones. Davis and Young better be ready to step it up or maybe he should just think about slowing it down and going with three bigs. Hmm. With that said, I don't necessarily see a dominant force in the conference so I could see 12-6 winning it.

18. ProdigalHorn

I'll believe Kansas with six losses when I see it. Even when they're not supposed to be great or the league is supposed to be really strong, they always manage to outperform in the regular season.

19. SAMMCHornfan

SAMMCHornfan 250+ Posts

I will have to go against Kansas. Could be wrong, but I don't think it is a fluke when you lose back to back games on your home court.

20. caryhorn

caryhorn 5,000+ Posts

Sammc said: "But I would say 12-6 would get the Horns a four seed. It is unbelievable how strong this conference has looked from top to bottom."
    Yep.^^^
    I think 12-6 would be fantastic against the teams in the B12. There is some salty competition here. I especially fear: KU (of course), WVU, TCU, BU. But then you have TTU (off to a great start), ISU (always tough), KSU (again, always tough), OU (also tough), OSU (tough).

I see no sure wins in the conference. I just hope we can protect our home court & Steal a few on the road.
    Anything over .500 in the conference and I'll be happy.
    And I agree, I think 12-6 would merit a four seed.
    I am more excited about this team than I've been about UT BB in years. I love Bamba, Osetkowski, Jones, Coleman. Roach can be awesome, or not. Davis has potential, if he can just reclaim his freshman year shooting touch. And Young is a heartbeat away from knocking down 5 in a row from beyond the arc. (Young will do this before he leaves UT)
    Depth with Sims, Febres, Banks (who has just about disappeared) and the other freshmen. I think its gonna be a very entertaining season. We will be in most all our games.

21. old65horn

old65horn 1,000+ Posts

Based only on the way they played against Michigan, Bilas is right.

• Like Like x 1
  22. ProdigalHorn

Bilas said it before we lost our best offensive player. Don't give him credit for calling that shot.

• Like Like x 1
  23. caryhorn

caryhorn 5,000+ Posts

Horns are trailing Tenn state in the second half. Even if the horns rally and win, its a poor game. These performances give credence to the notion that the horns are not deserving of a top 65 ranking. Maybe by the first of March 2018 things will be better. Lets hope so.

Last edited: Dec 19, 2017
  24. Walking Boss

Walking Boss 2,500+ Posts

Texas is not a tournament team right now. Could change but it sure doesn't look like it.

• Like Like x 1
  25. ProdigalHorn

Look, I posted this a month ago and we still had all our players. They look like hot garbage right now and I wouldn't put them in the top 65. That doesn't change what I originally posted at the time. This team showed no signs of playing at this poor a level. So I stand by what I originally posted.

• Like Like x 1
  26. SAMMCHornfan

SAMMCHornfan 250+ Posts

Do any of the guards know what a "floater" is. That shot was a thing of beauty to Isaiah Taylor's game. Belive it or not, I think they actually missed Davis these last couple of games.

• Like Like x 2
  27. txlandagent

txlandagent 500+ Posts

Coleman should be able to do that 10 times a game and hope he makes half of them. He has zero confidence. Everyone has zero confidence. It’s really a shame.

• Like Like x 1
    Last edited: Dec 19, 2017
  28. caryhorn

caryhorn 5,000+ Posts

I hear you Prodigal. The team has regressed, and other teams have figured out how to defend us; and we either can't adjust due to our limitations, or Shaka is trying to force the outside shooting rather than teaching the type of half court game that gives us more down low in the paint opportunities.

I did not see that awful performance (Tenn State) coming.

29. ProdigalHorn

I'm at a loss, and at some point, I do think it comes down on Shaka - clearly for whatever reason, it's not getting through. He made the point during post game that "we talk about what we want to run during a time out, and then they go out and don't do it..." or something like that. For whatever reason, they give up on the called plays, either because the other team defends it well and they just give up, or because they don't know how to execute it, or they just don't want to put in the effort.

All I know is that during this stretch, I've only seen two or three guys who I thought were really putting in solid effort. I see too many guys jogging, standing around, waiting for something to happen, making half-hearted attempts to drive, etc... Mo's effort level was infuriating for most of this game. He looked lost when he got his shot blocked, gave up a shot at the other end, got stripped... and all of a sudden he's not going after rebounds, he's not working on offense, he just looked like he was in a daze.

• Like Like x 1
  30. ProdigalHorn

Now THAT was more like it...