Jay Bilas

Discussion in 'Men’s Basketball' started by IPLonghorns, Nov 26, 2008.

1. IPLonghorns

IPLonghorns 250+ Posts

Is it just me, or was he really negative about Texas? He never had anything good to say about us. Made me sick.

2. Chest Rockwell

Chest Rockwell 1,000+ Posts

I only paid attention to one comment he made: that Damion James shouldn't be taking 3-pointers. I guess he doesn't realize that James hit 41% of his treys last year. Moron.

3. GemStateJim

GemStateJim 2,500+ Posts

I don't get that from him. To me, it seemed he wasn't very impressed with our performance Tuesday, and I can't blame him.

He had a great deal positive to say during Monday's game, though.

Only thing I'll rap him for is his comment Tuesday, after James tossed up another rushed, mid-range brick, that that "isn't his game."

Mid-range Js are Damion's game, though. Even before the position switch, they were. So are 3-pointers (but to a lesser extent).

It's not where James is taking his shots that's a problem; it's how and when
    he's taking those shots.

EDIT: LoL--what Chest said!

4. Nordberg

Nordberg 1,000+ Posts

Well I wasn't super crazy about Damion's shot selection either, so I was in agreement with Bilas. Actually pretty much everthing that comes out of his mouth is on the money.

5. LazyEngineer

LazyEngineer 500+ Posts

6. SyracuseHorn

SyracuseHorn 500+ Posts

In fairness to Bilas, James was supposed to be an All-American candidate this year, and should be playing at a high level. He's not even sniffing a Big XII honorable mention with his play thus far.

James is not Durant. He needs to play his own game. Whether it's his decisions or Barnes' instructions, he's not playing how he's capable. Bilas was right to point out the sub-par performance.

7. Utkclack15

Utkclack15 100+ Posts

Damion right now looks like he is trying to play for the OKC Thunder and not UT. Bilas was right in almost everything he said IMO.

8. cbs

cbs 500+ Posts

He has always been more than fair to Barnes and Texas. He has made no bones about saying that Barnes is one of the best coaches out there and that we have a great program. The fact that he points out the truth when we don't play well (and we didn't save Mason) that's not bias. And at the end of the game, he was the one talking about giving credit to us for showing heart and making the comeback.

He's also the one that broke the Obama/Texas basketball gear story.

9. Nordberg

Nordberg 1,000+ Posts

ESPN should hire Craig Way for Texas games, and make him say only positive things about our longhorns.

10. skymonkeyhorn

skymonkeyhorn 100+ Posts

Jay B. was spot on with his comments about James shot selection and overall performance. Jay B. calls it like he sees it , ND was playing at a high level on offense and just holding on the defensive side.
    We played a crappy , ugly game and came away with a 1 point loss that we earned ! It will get better....

11. cochamps

cochamps 2,500+ Posts

I thought Raferty was slobbering over ND. I had no problem with Bilas; he seems to be fair. The old guy's inflection when ND did something good, and his whining when he thought a foul shoulda been called on UT got on my nerves.

12. Bob in Houston

Bob in Houston 2,500+ Posts

Barnes has had Raftery on his radio show. There is no lack of respect for Texas.

Amazingly enough, broadcasters sometimes point out when one team plays poorly and the other plays well. How about that?

13. GemStateJim

GemStateJim 2,500+ Posts

14. Nordberg

Nordberg 1,000+ Posts

15. bentwookie

bentwookie 100+ Posts

I think Bilas was right on regarding James. He was deservedly critical of Damion's shot selection Monday and Tuesday...not so much the distance but shooting before making one pass and passing up a wide open Atchley a couple of times. He did make a couple of positive mentions about Matt Hill and Chapman..also said Atchley would be in the NBA...

16. SL Xpress

SL Xpress 500+ Posts

Andy Katz broke the Obama/Texas basketball gear story.

17. LazyEngineer

LazyEngineer 500+ Posts

When James took it to the rack, I recall Bilas saying that was what he needed to be doing.

Bilas was also VERY positive regarding Texas on Monday night. Almost embarrassingly so.