Jayhawks travel to Austin

Discussion in 'Women’s Basketball' started by BabHorn, Feb 9, 2017.

1. BabHorn

BabHorn 10,000+ Posts

KU Athletics has their pregame story up.
    http://www.kuathletics.com/news/201...es-2017-series-with-no-10-texas-saturday.aspx

• Like Like x 1
  2. BabHorn

BabHorn 10,000+ Posts

http://www.texassports.com/news/2017/2/10/no-11-womens-basketball-preview-kansas-feb-11-2017.aspx
    Kelsey and Brooke give the team two 1000 pt career scorers with Ariel close enough that she could join them this season.:bow:

• Like Like x 1
  3. BabHorn

BabHorn 10,000+ Posts

http://www.hookem.com/story/ariel-atkins-leadership-hot-shooting-helped-texas-winning-streak/
    can't really ask for two more helpful and intense leaders than these two. Leading by example and, this year, with words as well. Really funny quote about Coach Aston from Ariel, imo.
    Glad they got the overpassing under control. There is a thing as being too unselfish.

4. BabHorn

BabHorn 10,000+ Posts

Horns pulled out a 66-54 win over Kansas three days after the New Year’s. 31 TOs by the Horns helped the Jayhawks keep the game within reach even though they shot 26.4% from the field. Texas did have a 61-35 edge on the boards.

It seemed like KU’s Jessica Washington was unstoppable as she had 23 of KU’s 54 pts. But she was 7-26 from the field (26.9%) although she did hit 9-11 from the FT line. Her game high six offensive rebounds (10 total) kept giving KU more chances. Texas held KU to 11.1% from BTA (2-18) with Kylee Kopatich going 2-6 from BTA.

It was a really strange game. Texas was able to run with so many rebounds but was really unable to capitalize on those chances with only 10 fast break points off of 42 defensive rebounds due in part to those 31 turnovers. It really was one of the Horns’ top defensive efforts.

Kansas had lost two in a row going into the first Texas-Kansas game. This time around, the Jayhawks are coming off a win at home over Oklahoma State. That was there second win in the last four games.

Texas, meanwhile, is shooting to extend their school record Big 12 win streak to 14. This is the second of three weekends where Texas plays on Saturday and Monday. The last weekend of the regular season is a Friday-Monday finale. Actually good practice for the NCAAs although I doubt that is why it was scheduled that way.

Washington and Kopatich are the leading scorers for Kansas. Washington’s 19.7 ppg leads the league in Big 12 games. Kopatich is averaging 9.6 ppg in league play. McKenzie Calvert, KU’s other heralded transfer, has not played in the last two games.

Texas will counter with three of the league’s top 12 scorers in Big 12 games: Brooke, Ariel & Joyner. Texas also has two of the top four rebounders in league play. Texas has averaged 13.4 TOs since the 31 at KU.

Texas is 6-0 at home while Kansas has yet to win a road game in six tries.

• Like Like x 1
  5. WCBBNUT

WCBBNUT 2,500+ Posts

I had a dream that it was tied with a minute to go but we win by 6. I hope the win part is right but the rest is wrong

6. DFW_Horn

DFW_Horn 2,500+ Posts

Sure that was a dream or were you rewatching the Baylor game? :smile1:

• Like Like x 4
  7. Ellis21d

Ellis21d JediHorn

That was not a dream. It was a nightmare!!

• Like Like x 2
  8. "Anna hook em"

"Anna hook em" 250+ Posts

I need to find out when the replay is Lowell galindo had me cracking up when mentioned the BU coaches style. LMAO

9. justabbfan

justabbfan 250+ Posts

You will notice Nell Fortner refused to go there only saying that it is a little harder to coach in high heels.

10. "Anna hook em"

"Anna hook em" 250+ Posts

Yup sure did

11. WCBBNUT

WCBBNUT 2,500+ Posts

Granted it was against Kansas but we got buckets from 11 players today. Wow.

12. car54

car54 1,000+ Posts

Could have had a hangover from Baylor game and let Kansas hang around...Good to see these Horns may just be focused enough to make a good run at the confernce title. I still think Baylor is a notch above us this season, and will win conference again...BUT Karen is getting closer.....

13. BabHorn

BabHorn 10,000+ Posts

:lmao:
    Yep, held them to 10, 8, 9 pts per quarter before the reserves took over and they also outscored them 19-15 for a 33 pt win. That's letting the opponent hang around. :lmao:

14. DFW_Horn

DFW_Horn 2,500+ Posts

Nice to see so many greats come back to the program (hope Joyner got to pick her brain a bit):

• Like Like x 2
  15. WCBBNUT

WCBBNUT 2,500+ Posts

Blah blah blah I love Baylor Blah Blah Blah

• Like Like x 1
  16. BabHorn

BabHorn 10,000+ Posts

Really happy to see Clarissa talking to the team. She has been missed doing things like this for her university.

• Like Like x 6
  17. HornView

HornView 1,000+ Posts

Only 9 turnovers. We haven't had a reason to complain about TO's in awhile now including the BU game. I like it!

• Like Like x 3