Jesus, Mizzou can't miss

Discussion in 'Men’s Basketball' started by DKR777, Jan 12, 2008.

1. pmg

pmg 1,000+ Posts

I think you're underestimating MU. Have you watched them this year?

2. pmg

pmg 1,000+ Posts

He plays as a F, he seems to rotate properly and gets great position on rebounds. Johnson can be a liability on D; he won't be, but he seems lost a lot.

3. RyanUTAustin

RyanUTAustin 1,000+ Posts

I might be but they are 10-5 (11-5) and dont have the same talent as we do.

We should not have lost by 13 to that team. It isn't so much that we lost, but how.

It's not the end of the world but it does show that we have a lot of growing to do and are not a team that can make a serious push come March.

4. Third Coast

Third Coast 10,000+ Posts

The reason Texas lost this game isn't just because of Ian Mooney.

5. anhyzer

anhyzer 250+ Posts

We gave up almost 60 2nd-half points. Enuff said. [​IMG]

6. RyanUTAustin

Great, now we get to watch Aggy put a boot in CU's ***

7. pmg

pmg 1,000+ Posts

8. moosejaw

moosejaw < 25 Posts

gary johnson - 0 points and 1 rebound, didnt play much in the second half. we are in big trouble if he doest pick it up. hopefully he is just rusty, but his shooting is god awful.

9. ToxicShock

ToxicShock 100+ Posts

Why is our team getting worse instead of better as the season goes along? We looked like **** against MSU, worse against Wisconsin, would've gotten worked by any top 50 team if we weren't playing TCU. The only remotely decent game in the last month has been St. Marys. This team has no pride with the exception of Damion James. Augustin's draft stock is plummeting over the last 5 games.

Defense sucks. Rebounding sucks. Bench sucks. Free throw shooting sucks. Offense sucks. The only thing we have going for us is ball handling and even that sucked today. Agreed, this team is NIT at best right now unless the D and FT shooting turns around.

I thought our surprising road loss in conference was going to be at K-state. This was just pathetic.

10. RyanUTAustin

11. OrangeRB

OrangeRB 500+ Posts

Llike in some previous games, we seem to fall apart completely whenever the other team gets any lead what-so-ever. Texas really did not look like the team that I know it is.

I hate these games that are seven days in between like it was between St. M U and Mizzou.. Rust sets in. We don't have another game for another 7 days.

[​IMG]

12. pmg

pmg 1,000+ Posts

13. givemhel

givemhel 100+ Posts

I don't think Coach Barnes is on suicide watch, but he IS pissed.

14. ToxicShock

ToxicShock 100+ Posts

The second half against MSU was awful. Our O completely disappeared.

15. SigPi_Horn

SigPi_Horn 500+ Posts

For me, the proof is in the numbers.

Mizzou shot 56% from the field and 46% [​IMG] from 3. Mizzou also had 6 players[​IMG] in double figures.

We don't play defense and we don't shoot well enough to not play defense.

16. Truck's Son

Truck's Son 500+ Posts

17. orange avenger

orange avenger 25+ Posts

It’s called reversion to the mean. Anyone who expected us to be a Top 10 team is an optimist in extremis. Anyone who embraced that view on the basis of the UCLA and Tennessee games is guilty only of mere exuberance. Although highly enthused and approbatory, I suspected that those games were more a case of just about everything going right and therefore not predictive of our performance, game in and game out, over the course of the season. What I got from those games was that we would certainly be competitive, which was my biggest concern going into the season. At that time, I counted Augustin as the as the only known quantity. I felt that James would have to step up (he has, and I have to retract my criticism of his 3-pt shooting). And I had worries about Mason, Atchley, and AJ, mostly with respect to improvement and consistency. They are all better than last year.

The Michigan State and Wisconsin games more or less confirmed my suspicions and expectations. Bottom line: when we are hot, we can be competitive against the very best. When we are what we are, we will win most games but not without dogfights and close calls. Of course, when the other team has a game against us like we had against UCLA or Tennessee, like today, we’re going to lose.

We are competitive, but we’re not Kansas. Don’t get your hopes up against aggy, either, because they are better than we are. I do think that we can beat the rest of ‘em, but it’s hard to imagine that we will win 'em all. I think it is not unrealistic to envision a 4 or 5 seed and a Sweet 16, perhaps even better. A lot depends on Johnson coming on, steady input from AJ, the re-emergence of Atchley and Mason, and reasonable developments from Wangmene, Pittman, and Chapman. Sounds like a lot of ifs, but any two will do. I think Rick will get all four.

18. I'm wondering if that team isn't suffering from a little bit of overconfidence since the Texas - UCLA game. A good swift kick to the boots of their pants ought to do them some good...

But all in all, it's WAY too early for ANYONE to be panicking about what the Horns might do in March. Mizzou isn't great but they ain't Colorado in the suckage department either. I could see that being a tough Big 12 road game if someone has an off day.

the Huskers beat a top-10/top-15 OU a couple years ago and then ended up in the Not Invited Tourney, so it's way too early to be projecting how anyone's gonna do in March.

19. RockyBalboa

RockyBalboa 500+ Posts

20. DKR777

DKR777 250+ Posts

21. Texas___Fight

Texas___Fight 2,500+ Posts

You really gotta hand it to Mizzou but we really didn't do much to help ourselves.

22. UnBiased Horn

UnBiased Horn 250+ Posts

there isn't much you can do about that shooting performance.

23. hoopdoc

hoopdoc < 25 Posts

what orange avenger said

24. EJC+1

EJC+1 250+ Posts

25. lost in mizzou

lost in mizzou 25+ Posts

I was there. UT looked tired in the second half and in the post-game interviews, a couple of the MU players and Melvin Watkins said as much. Did Augustin play the entire game? I don't recall him being substituted.

And for the first time that I've seen in a game in Mizzou Arena, the crowd was actually loud and supportive.

26. UnBiased Horn

UnBiased Horn 250+ Posts

27. Dot Dot Dot

Dot Dot Dot < 25 Posts

Ryan,

It seems like you're biased against Mooney just b/c he's a walk-on. If you would actually watch the game closely he does everything coach asks of him. Coach doesn't ask him to score, obviously. Watch him set picks, watch him block out, watch him stop dribble penetration splits, watch him rotate defensively, watch him dive on the floor, watch him do the little things that no one else on the team seems to do.

If everyone on this team played as hard and as fundamental as Ian Mooney, we would be a whole lot better off, and that comes straight from Coach himself.

Maybe you should pay a little bit closer attention before blasting a guy who works his *** off.

28. RyanUTAustin

29. orange avenger

orange avenger 25+ Posts

Rock...that's my point: we beat two Top Ten teams on their home courts, which is naturally going to cause some fans to think, hey, we're bad mothers and we're going to win the conference and be a 1 seed and go to the Final Four.

But game in and game out we are not the team that beat UCLA and Tennessee on their home floors.

We are an above-average team that is certainly capable of beating better teams, but we are not a dominant team that consistently performs at a high level.

30. bierce

bierce 1,000+ Posts

The Tennessee game was played in New Jersey.