JIMBO FISHER NEXT A&M HEAD COACH

Discussion in 'On The Field' started by zuckercanyon, Dec 1, 2017.

1. zuckercanyon

zuckercanyon 2,500+ Posts

2. bystander

bystander 10,000+ Posts

Get ready for another SEC Country sign in Austin. There's going to be a lot of what I call, "Ego before accomplishment" crowing going on. We'll see what happens. Fisher is a great hire on the surface and they should get a bump up because of it. But I think he's a control freak with very thin skin. It's amazing that he left FSU. He seems to be very needy. And of course his support of Jameis Winston doesn't mean anything to the Aggy's. They are desperate for gridiron glory.

• Like Like x 2
  3. Horn2RunAgain

Horn2RunAgain 2,500+ Posts

hoping he doesn't do well. I give it 50/50 to succeed (10 wins per yr). Normally I'd give it a <20% chance but we're on our *** right now. It's easy for someone with a name right now to clean up the state in recruiting

Having said that, Fisher is an a hole. I wish him and aggy major failure

Also... Tennessee parted with their beleaguered AD Currie. The clown show is over unfortunately. Was fun to watch

• Like Like x 1
  4. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

5. -Texas-

-Texas- 250+ Posts

Any program gets tired of losing so I don't fault them for trying to improve. Heck, given the current crop of coaching candidates, who were they supposed to go after if not Fisher? From the get-go, he was supposed to be the impossible hire but somehow the impossible is about to become reality. Ten wins? If that's the case, 10 wins per year now becomes doable with Fisher whereas with Sumlin or anyone else that would have been a pipe dream.

6. nashhorn

nashhorn 5,000+ Posts

Good for Aggie, therefore I don’t like it.

• Like Like x 3
  7. Horn2RunAgain

Ten years, 7.5mm per yr. Don't know the buyout clause(s)

8. LonghornCatholic

LonghornCatholic Deo Gratias

• Like Like x 8
  9. LonghornCatholic

10. Run Pincher

Run Pincher 2,500+ Posts

How long before aggy claims 2013 as a NC?

• Like Like x 3
  11. LonghornCatholic

• Like Like x 1
  12. LonghornCatholic

Jimbo will be a hair above .500

13. theiioftx

theiioftx Sponsor Deputy

Aggy always gonna Aggy.

• Like Like x 1
  14. horninchicago

horninchicago 10,000+ Posts

He's a big name hire with a NC. Look at our last 2 hires. Maybe he will falter, who knows?

We are now officially 3rd in relevance in Texas behind TCU and these clowns.

15. Texas Lawhorn

Texas Lawhorn 100+ Posts

Got to hand it to the Aggies. They got the money so they spent the money. We should have done the same thing with someone like Saban, back when it might have been possible. Instead we like to pay unknown quantities being penny wise and pound foolish. We are going to end up spending more with guaranteed payouts and lost revenues than we would have just paying Saban $15 mm a year. We are already paying $5mm for Herman and $3mm for Charlie. Not to mention the lost revenue from playing mediocre football for 8 to 10 years. That’s why you don’t let academics make business decisions.

16. bck031

bck031 1,000+ Posts

Sources told ESPN that Texas A&M officials have approved a 10-year, $75 million fully guaranteed contract for Fisher, which is the richest deal in college football history in terms of total value.

• Like Like x 1
  17. beer_dog

beer_dog 100+ Posts

Thank you aggy for three more years of humor at your expense.

18. FWHORN

FWHORN 10,000+ Posts

Could be their Saban, could be their Charlie Weiss, only time will tell. I will say, that is a lot of money riding on an all-in bet. I will also give them this, they money whipped a coach to get him, something Texas was unable to do when Mack left and apparently didn't try to do last year when the search consisted one guy down the road in Houston. I don't know if it works out or not and if it doesn't it will be an expensive mistake but I give aggy credit for the effort.

• Like Like x 3
  19. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

Not even close to being over. Fat Phil pulled his first coup by getting Johnny Majors fired and himself made HC. This is coup #2, which won't stop until the Chancellor is fired. He has now successfully had the AD and HC fired, the biggest financial supporter (whose brother is Governor) walk away, and they still have no football coach. Who in their right mind would work for that of back stabbing son of a *****? Hence, you have only witnessed act one of "As KnoxVegas Turns".

20. txlandagent

txlandagent 500+ Posts

Doesn't get any aggy-er than this.

• Like Like x 1
  21. Statalyzer

Statalyzer 10,000+ Posts

Good for them, but I hate coaches leaving before the season is over.

22. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

Not true, but then the Aggies didn't have Billie Powers legacy building ego to overcome.

23. Horn2RunAgain

Sho nufffff

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nc...ming-ad/ar-BBG15Gi?li=BBmkt5R&ocid=spartandhp

The latest revelation in Volunteers' self-created debacle is another failed hire. This time the victim is current Washington State Coach Mike Leach. Rumor has it that reportedly fired Vols athletic director John Currie wanted to hire Leach but officials didn't allow him to do so.

More importantly, a report has surfaced saying former Tennessee head coach (1992 - 2008) Phillip Fulmer has been sabotaging the search in hopes of becoming the school's next AD:

24. X Misn Tx

X Misn Tx 2,500+ Posts

This is a good hire for aTm. He might be an ***, but he's got skins.

25. Chinstrap

Chinstrap 1,000+ Posts

Think so?

I am betting on Tom. He is just getting started.

2016 Louisville - underdog by 14 - wins by 26 - spread - 40

2015 Louisville - underdog by 13 - wins by 3 - spread - 16

2016 Oklahoma - underdog by 12 - wins by 10 - spread - 22

2015 Florida State - underdog by 7 - wins by 14 - spread - 21

This happened against some pretty good players and coaching, including you know who.

Let's not be too quick to burn the house down.

• Like Like x 2
  26. WorsterMan

WorsterMan SEC here we come!!

Well, gotta say Fisher is a big / splashy hire for aggy... however the jury is out in my mind.

Suspect with aggy being aggy, College Station being a dump, competing in the SEC West - Fisher may only win them a couple / few more games per season than Stumblin did. Perhaps 8, 9 wins, maybe 10, but no division or conference championships or NC's.

We will see...

Last edited: Dec 1, 2017
  27. Chinstrap

Chinstrap 1,000+ Posts

The Aggie Coaching Graveyard in the last 50 years:

Gene Stallings – 6 yrs

Emory Ballard – 6 yrs

Tom Wilson – 3 yrs

"Captain" Jack Sherrill – 6 yrs

R.C. Slocum – 13 yrs

Dennis Franchione – 4 yrs

Gary Darnell – 1 yr

Mike Sherman – 3 yrs

Kevin Sumlin – 5 yrs

All got fired. Might as well go ahead and buy your plot Jimbo.

• Like Like x 1
  28. LonghornCatholic

29. bck031

bck031 1,000+ Posts

It all comes down to, can Jimbo beat Saban on a consistent basis? Hell can he ever beat LSU?

30. Texas Lawhorn

Texas Lawhorn 100+ Posts

$75 million buys one heck of a plot!

• Like Like x 2