Joe Garagiola Dead At 90

Discussion in 'Baseball' started by NBHorn7, Mar 25, 2016.

1. NBHorn7

NBHorn7 Pimp Daddy

He played nine years in the pros, had a fairly mediocre career, known mostly for growing up across the street from Yogi Berra, in St. Louis.

Then he entered the broadcast booth, became probably the best former player in the business. If you are over 45 or so, you remember when the game of the week, on NBC was your only baseball fix. "This Week In Baseball," voiced by the legendary Mel Allen, was a must watch preceeding those games, on Saturday afternoons. After Curt Gowdy retired, it was Joe and Tony Kubec, in the booth.

Garagiola then became one of the first players to branch out to things outside of sports, joining the very popular "Today Show," on NBC.

He could never not do baseball though, always returning and kept doing at least some games with the Arizona Diamondbacks, till his death.

Rest in peace Joe and say hello to Yogi for us, another icon that made baseball great for many of us gone.

The life of Joe Garagiola | MLB.com

• Like Like x 1
  2. Vol Horn 4 Life

Vol Horn 4 Life Good Bye To All The Rest!

RIP!

One of my favorite announcers.

3. uisge beatha

uisge beatha 1,000+ Posts

Sad news. RIP Joe.

4. nashhorn

nashhorn 5,000+ Posts

Always remember as a kid his commercial where he said with a smile "it even has a sun roof where I can work on my tan" and would rub his bald head.
    RIP Joe.