John Mueller's?

Discussion in 'Around Austin' started by Steel Shank, Jun 11, 2007.

1. Steel Shank

Steel Shank 1,000+ Posts

Anybody know if he has reopened in Austin? Possibly on Airport east of 35? Any reports?

2. Benson32

Benson32 1,000+ Posts

3. austintexas

austintexas Guest

4. Steel Shank

Steel Shank 1,000+ Posts

I ask because on a thread on Rusty's Grill (the one about going to HEB to buy a brisket), a poster states that he saw a sign at 51st and Airport that stated Muller's was open east of 35. So am I wrong to ask if anyone knows anything? Given that it was Rusty's Grill, I figured everyone took Q seriously. Sorry to annoy you.

5. Big Jake

Big Jake 100+ Posts

I haven't seen or heard of any re-opening of John Mueller nor am I annoyed that you ask.
    Having said that, as I'm writing this I'm enjoying some "Q" form LOUIS Mueller's in Taylor.
    Do yourself a favor and make the short trip and enjoy.

6. Steel Shank

Steel Shank 1,000+ Posts

I just enjoyed some House Park earlier for lunch, myself. It seems when we last left the saga of John, he had hopes of re-opening. Since it had been some time, I thought it worth asking, because if indeed true, it would be valuable information to most of us, with the exception of the two above who are bothered by the update question.

Hopefully some day soon.

7. Benson32

Benson32 1,000+ Posts

i wasnt annoyed... i was just giving you the latest link. perhaps sua sponte knows.

8. Steel Shank

Steel Shank 1,000+ Posts

Sorry, Benson. The link took me to the page that asks about signing up to be a paying Hornsfan member. Thought you had done that on purpose.

9. austintexas

austintexas Guest

relax shank. had nothing to do with you, just a reminder of the frustration that was John Mueller's.

10. Steel Shank

Steel Shank 1,000+ Posts

I guess in my on-going anguish over the loss of Mueller's, I have over-reacted to the slightest perceived slight, even when there is no slight at all.

Please bring back Mueller's so I can be saved from myself.

11. hornian

hornian 1,000+ Posts

I actually just saw that sign, it's on airport across from Burger Tex (the sign is, not the mythical Muellers). Maybe it has something to do with the airport redevelopment instead? I have driven on Airport east of 35 probably a half dozen times in the last 3 weeks and not noticed any new barbecue places.

12. chetlemon

chetlemon First Time Poster

That sign on airport is in front of the old Chair King location. It is referring to the new Chair King location at Mueller development at the old airport. Sadly it has nothing to do with BBQ.

13. Steel Shank

Steel Shank 1,000+ Posts

Thanks, chetlemon, I'll have to let a buddy of mine know about this. [​IMG]

14. swTXSU

swTXSU 100+ Posts

I ran into a buddy of mine from Taylor and he said that he has partnered with John to help him get back on his feet.

He is running the bookkeeping part of the business and John is concentrating on the BBQ.

Unfortunately, they are only doing catering jobs right now and hope to get back to a location once John can get his feet under him.

If anybody is interested in throwing John some catering business, pm me and I will track down a number for you. I know he did a few legislative session parties at the end of May.

15. NCAAFBALLROX

NCAAFBALLROX 1,000+ Posts

swTXSU, please pass along our (collective & speaking for damn near everyone who reads HF & is not a communist...) most fervent desire to see John in a restaurant location again.

& Hopefully somewhere NOT in the hinterlands...

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

16. what that guy above said. and soon.

17. swTXSU

swTXSU 100+ Posts

Will do.

18. Big Jake

Big Jake 100+ Posts

Is he catering for as few as 30-40 people?

19. K-Man

K-Man 250+ Posts

I think he should open a place at the Mueller Redevelopment, not only because of the name but because it is even closer to my house than his last place.

20. TheTresLeches

TheTresLeches 250+ Posts

Yeah, that way if he's closed at 12:30pm on a random Friday afternoon or if his phone line is out and as a result can't take credit cards on that particular day, you won't have driven too far out of your way.

21. GakFoo

GakFoo 500+ Posts

or if he's "out of food" at noon

22. Phil Hellmuth

Phil Hellmuth 100+ Posts

hate hate hate
    [​IMG]

23. NCAAFBALLROX

While it's aggravating, I do sorta respect the idea of not keeping 3 day old Q sittin' around waiting to be sold.

The Cooper's in Round Rock has GOT to have the kwazy-est hours; I never could tell what their deal was. I wanted to go there so many times when I worked @ DeLL - I just gave up due to about 5 straight trips that ended in a 'closed' sign with no explanation.

24. swTXSU

swTXSU 100+ Posts

Well, it looks like John has pulled up stakes in Central Texas and moved to Amarillo to manage a restaraunt. As stated in an earlier post, he was doing some catering jobs, with a former co-worker of mine helping him out with his books, trying to get back on his feet, business-wise. Evidently, the Amarillo gig was too good a opportunity to pass up, he left town rather quickly without telling my buddy.

If I find out, I will post it. Haven't had much luck with Amarillo dining when I am in the area.

25. Sii

Sii 1,000+ Posts

26. NCAAFBALLROX

BOO! Amarillo move!! Hooray! BBQ...

As a sidebar, Fox 7 will be in Taylor all day for their "Hometown Fridays" thing... might be a good chance to work out some cue @ Louie's.