Johnathan Gray recruiting story

Discussion in 'Recruiting' started by TexasGolf, May 9, 2011.

1. TexasGolf

TexasGolf 2,500+ Posts

good read....

"While TCU Coach Gary Patterson and staff made a strong impression, it turns out the Grays watching TCU play nationally ranked Boise State actually helped the Longhorns.

“I remember seeing that Boise State offense and thinking how well they use the players they have,” James said. “I really liked it. And then the coach (Boise State offensive coordinator) Bryan Harsin is hired at Texas. We already liked Coach Applewhite and Coach Harsin is great too.”

In the end, Johnathan said it was the feeling he had while meeting Texas coach Mack Brown and his wife Sally, in his UT offices. It was the storied Longhorns’ program; it was the depth and quality of Texas’ annual recruiting; it was a flexible offense; it was about multiple running backs – much heralded RB recruit Malcolm Brown signed with UT in February – being a strength rather than a threat and it was about watching Texas win a national championship while growing up in Texas.

“He didn’t make a big deal about it,” James said. “We were sitting around the house and he just said, “I’m going to Texas.”

The Link

2. Horns11

Horns11 10,000+ Posts

It's a shame he won't be here for another year.

3. gdu

gdu 1,000+ Posts

There are plenty of reasons for Mr. Gray to choose Texas over TCU, but I don't see how the Fiesta Bowl was one of them. TCU, in their worst game in 3 years or so, held Boise to 1 TD on offense.

4. tholly

tholly 1,000+ Posts

I'd have to agree. In 2 consecutive bowl games, the Boise offense never moved the ball with any consistency at all. Boise defense played well and a couple of trick plays and a punt return enabled Boise to salvage a split in the 2 games. Those 2 games and last yrs Rose Bowl (TCU-Wis) were certainly among the 3 best bowl games of the past 3 yrs. A lot of credit to TCU for that....

5. chango

chango 2,500+ Posts

6. Hook 'Em Danno

Hook 'Em Danno 1,000+ Posts

7. longtex

longtex Guest