Johnny Bailey RIP

Discussion in 'On The Field' started by 93ex, Aug 21, 2010.

1. 93ex

93ex 100+ Posts

from pancreatic cancer. One of the great running backs in Texas HS history and Div. 2 history. That Yates team is '85 was unreal.

The Link

The Link

And I did not know this

2. bazbo

bazbo 500+ Posts

Wow that sucks. A might-might of a RB, a great HS player and had a stellar college career also. Yates kid I recall.

3. coolhorn

coolhorn 2,500+ Posts

Johnny Bailey wasn't a big guy, but I saw him play twice in college, and he was as dangerous with the ball in his hands as any college player I've ever seen, and that's quite a few over the years.

I would love to have seen what he could do in his prime with the spread offenses that are popular these days. RIP...pancreatic cancer is a horrible way to go.

4. kbrown

kbrown 1,000+ Posts

Wasn't there another guy in the backfield with him that was pretty good? seems like I remember them having two backs drafted.

5. I_Dont_Exist

I_Dont_Exist 1,000+ Posts

6. UTeric32

UTeric32 500+ Posts

I grew up In Kingsville and used to love watching him play at Javelina Stadium. One of the all time greats...RIP

7. Third Coast

Third Coast 10,000+ Posts

I remember Bailey and his coach Ron Harms. And of course Gil Steinke was a legend before Harms. A&I had some pretty good teams in the 70's and 80's.

RIP JB

8. utempire

utempire 1,000+ Posts

May God bless him. I played against him in college and he galloped over us like we were a jr high team. He got a raw deal in chicago and could have been a really good back but it wasn't meant to be.