Jordan Effing Spieth

Discussion in 'On The Field' started by blonthang, Jun 21, 2015.

1. dukesteer

dukesteer 5,000+ Posts

Id like to see Jordan play with confidence. Exude confidence. Easier said than done, perhaps. But I want to see very positive body language, as if he’s going to make every shot. I didn’t see that on one...

2. dukesteer

dukesteer 5,000+ Posts

Not making putts today. Not what we wanted to see.

3. Chinstrap

Chinstrap 1,000+ Posts

When he get’s that bounce in his step, like he did at the 13th in The Open (one of the most incredible holes in golf), he is very hard to beat. That’s when he takes no prisoners and is in a zone. Instead he seems to let the cobwebs into his head.
    He needs to accept his role as one of the best shotmakers in the game and stop overthinking!

• Like Like x 1
    Last edited: Feb 14, 2021
  4. OrangeShogun

OrangeShogun 500+ Posts

Is he too nice? Serious question.

5. dukesteer

dukesteer 5,000+ Posts

It’s a good question...but I don’t think so. He’s getting closer but his erratic drives and frequent near misses on the green are preventing the breakout. Hopefully that will change in the coming weeks.

6. VYFan

VYFan 2,500+ Posts

As I said above, lots of times a competitor in anything has a technical form issue, which causes the periodic glitch. The onlooker (or the person himself) thinks it's a mental mistake, a let-down in focus or a nerves thing. Then there is all this overanalysis of the mental side of things. People with perfect piano or guitar technique, pistol aiming technique, boxing technique, calligraphy tecnnique, carpentry technique, knife handling technique, or whatever....they don't make those "mental errors."

Is Steph Curry a great shooter because of mental attitude, or great technique? What made Tim Duncan great? I just think that a lot of what people end up attributing to "ice in his veins," is actually just really good physical technique that can be reapeated more easily under pressure.

So, I am thinking Spieth is just a little off on technique, and that's the small gap between him winning and coming in 4th.

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. 2003TexasGrad

2003TexasGrad Son of a Motherless Goat

Still a good finish all things considered.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. horninchicago

horninchicago 10,000+ Posts

It's simple, really. Lack of confidence causes you to second guess club selection, ball flight, many factors. That causes you to tense up. The golf swing requires lack of tension. As good as these guys are, it is the players with best mental fortitude who succeed and win the most.

See: Ben Hogan, Byron Nelson, Nicklaus, Palmer, Trevino, Tiger, Mickelson, and on and on.

Phil is a great example. Yes, he's 50 now. Won his only 2 PGA Tour Champions events but is struggling to make the cut at regular Tour events on courses he has played dozens of times. Also and others said his body language and attitude seem different. he still has the physical abilities, but the self doubt has apparently crept in, and it is affecting his results.

• Winner Winner x 1
  9. horninchicago

Yes. Being a fan of the Colonial, since Spieth didn't win, I was happy to see Berger win along with the requisite mentions of Colonial.

10. VYFan

VYFan 2,500+ Posts

I've already confessed to lack of specific PGA expertise, so I'm not in my wheelhouse, but it looked to me like Spieth hit 50% of the fairways, whereas if he hit 75% of them, he wins the tournament. The misses looked like he had his weight on his heels, causing very slightly more of a spinning top rotation, not a downward pendulum rotation, if that makes sense. Thus, more sideways spin and more erratic result. If I were trying to solve that small point, which would have put him in first place, I would try to do it with a swing coach, not a sports psychologist. So, (again, with acknowledgement of my ignorance), I don't think whether he is a nice guy or needs to be "more confident," or has better body language, or whatever is where 3-5 shots could be found in that last tournament. I think all the good body language, etc., comes from the good feeling that good shots create, not the other way around.

• Like Like x 1
  11. horninchicago

All good stuff here, VY. I'm just telling you, lack of confidence causes the physical issues in a golf swing to creep in for these guys at that level. Enough of this former great players say it. Ian Baker Finch on the CBS broadcasts won Colonial in 1989 and won a British Open. Then he got the putting yips and he lost confidence and ended up in the broadcast booth.

12. horninchicago

When these guys are struggling, they talk about finding something here and there in their swing, but they also talk a lot about having confidence in the swing.

Also, these guys are so competitive that even when they win 3 majors at an early age like Jordan, they feel they can improve, so they tinker with or, like Tiger did prior to 2000, completely change their swing. Once Tiger became confident in that change, he was virtually unstoppable until he beat his body down.

13. ViperHorn

ViperHorn 10,000+ Posts

Thanks. Now I know what happened to my game! :lol:

• Funny Funny x 1
  14. IvanDiabloHorn

IvanDiabloHorn 1,000+ Posts

I predict Speith wins the Masters. I dont know why, I just feel that he will. Of course the feeling is the same one I have while sipping tepid beer at Hans Mueller prior to the kickoff of every Texas/Ou game.

15. Olehornfan

Olehornfan 2,500+ Posts

On hole 17 Jordan and his caddie were discussing the distance. His caddie wanted him to hit a club but Jordan said he felt adrelenan and said he felt good with that club. His hit was short and he told his caddie that he was right. Hope he gets things turned around. Hate to see another David Duval.

16. dukesteer

dukesteer 5,000+ Posts

I do believe it’s this simple. He lost his confidence in Augusta a few years ago (and we all knew it when it happened) and he hasn’t gotten it back.

If I were coaching him or anyone with his unique skill set in any sport, I would tell them to screw all of the advice, go out and “effing enjoy the game that you have the privilege of being paid to play.” And act like you know what you are doing; like you’re going to make every shot and sink every putt. Your performance will follow...

• Like Like x 2
  17. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

Tied for 2d

18. dukesteer

dukesteer 5,000+ Posts

Dropped off badly later in the round, as we all know. Maybe tomorrow will be his day.

• Like Like x 1
  19. horninchicago

Lots of Tiger news today. The biggest ball lickers on Golf Channel referred to Tiger as "African American" and "Black".

Hmmmmmm.

20. Chinstrap

Chinstrap 1,000+ Posts

Making another run at the Arnold Palmer Invitational. Bird on #1 and an ace on the 220+ yard #2. The first ace on that hole in 13 years.

End of 3rd round and he is -9 (4th) with leader at -11. He is definitely enjoying the game again and making those long puts. We can safely say Jordan is back, or at least very close. He has shots in his bag others can’t make.

• Like Like x 2
  21. WorsterMan

WorsterMan SEC here we come!!

Yup, JS was so HOT first round on Thurs. Had a decent day today at 68 - Sat., but he finished tied for 4th at 9 under... only 2 strokes back of the lead!

Lee Westwood & De Chambeau tied for the lead at 11 under.

Jordan needs some Longhorn magic on Sunday... :hookem:

Last edited: Mar 6, 2021
  22. ViperHorn

ViperHorn 10,000+ Posts

The odds are Westwood will choke, but DeChambeau is tough with a lead.

• Like Like x 1
  23. WorsterMan

DeChambeau has the lead by 1stroke over Westwood.

Spieth struggling today 3 strokes back and tied for 3rd, with only a few holes left to play. It will take some incredible mojo and collapse by the leaders for him to climb back into this one.

24. dukesteer

dukesteer 5,000+ Posts

I’m afraid that our guy failed to perform under pressure once again, and collapsed at the end. A 75 just won’t cut it. This is becoming a pattern on Sundays when he is in contention.

• Agree Agree x 2
  25. WorsterMan

I'm a serious golfer but I am far, far, far from any position to criticize, counsel or give him advice on HIS play.....

I just hope he can find his groove and game again.:hookem:

• Agree Agree x 3
    Last edited: Mar 7, 2021
  26. Clean

Clean 5,000+ Posts

Yeah, 75 on Sunday won’t win any tournament.

Still he’s in contention on Sundays now and earning decent money and raising back up through the world rankings. He’d drop down into the 80s at the end of last season.

• Agree Agree x 1
  27. dukesteer

dukesteer 5,000+ Posts

I guess that with a net worth of around $100,000,000, Jordan is still doing OK...

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  28. WorsterMan

Uh yeah... he is financilly set for life and essentially playing golf for pride and fun...real easy to get dates too.

Good for him! :headbang:

29. LAGA4

LAGA4 500+ Posts

I don't think Jordan has won since 2017. He probably should change caddies, I don't seem to see a good relationship between the two. Could be wrong about that, but it sure looks to me like his caddie is thinking shut up Jordan and play golf.

The other thing is he needs to play more. He started cutting back his schedule after he won the Open, and one year he didn't have enough events to qualify for one of the Fed Ex Cup events. As good as Jordan is, when you are 24 or 25 years old you still have things to learn and cutting back his schedule didn't help him.

• Agree Agree x 1
  30. Clean

Clean 5,000+ Posts

Amazing how much they make from sponsors isn’t it?

• Agree Agree x 2