Jordan Effing Spieth

Discussion in 'On The Field' started by blonthang, Jun 21, 2015.

1. Chinstrap

Chinstrap 1,000+ Posts

He was in bed with mono for the month of December (I think in 2017) and it took him awhile to get back on his feet. Mono can drain your energy and the tour can be very demanding on your body. That may have been part of the reason for limited play.
    He seams to be in contention every week and it’s just a matter of time that he wins again.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  2. DKRoyal fan

DKRoyal fan 100+ Posts

Jordan also got married in 2018, and us married guys can attest to the resulting drain on your energy that brings.

:smokin:

• Winner Winner x 1
  3. Chinstrap

Chinstrap 1,000+ Posts

Amen. Then there is that wedding cake. My advice over the years to young men getting married has been twofold. The first is to not eat the wedding cake, and most important, do not let the bride eat the cake. It seems to be the beginning of changes in the relationship.

The other piece of advice is never purchase a lawnmower that your wife can’t start.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  4. WorsterMan

WorsterMan SEC here we come!!

Actor Burgess Meredith, Rocky Balboas' Manager in ROCKY I:

"Women make legs weak Rocky!" :yes:

• Funny Funny x 1
    Last edited: Mar 9, 2021
  5. WorsterMan

WorsterMan SEC here we come!!

A close friend of mine used say often to guys we both grew up with: dont eat the wedding cake! It's poison and will ruin your life ! :idk:

• Funny Funny x 1
    Last edited: Mar 9, 2021
  6. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

Charlie Wilson, Senator from Angelina, once told me, "I waited to get married until I was 30, and that was ten years too soon".

Worst example I ever witnessed was Jim Ryan, perhaps the greatest HS miler of all time, and worked his whole life to win the 1968 Olympics. He got married the year before, and never got a medal. He ran in the 68 Texas Relays, and performed like a shadow of his former self, but that remains the greatest mile medley I ever saw.

• Like Like x 2
  7. DKRoyal fan

DKRoyal fan 100+ Posts

I think Jim Ryan was the first to break the 4-minute mile mark as I recall.

• Funny Funny x 1
  8. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

First HS student

Great guy when you met him

• Winner Winner x 1
  9. DKRoyal fan

DKRoyal fan 100+ Posts

Thanks for the correction Sabre. I just remember it was a huge deal back in the day. Of course my memory ain't what it used to be.

Hookem

• Like Like x 1
  10. VYFan

VYFan 2,500+ Posts

Other than that lost gold medal, how did that wife work out for him?

• Funny Funny x 1
  11. Clean

Clean 5,000+ Posts

I noticed that Spieth still gets the a bit of the "Tiger treatment", despite his long drought. On Sunday, when he was briefly tired for first with two others, the network listed him in first place ahead of the other two players. That didn't make sense because the other two guys were the last twosome and had played less golf. And, it sure wasn't alphabetical. They always did that for Tiger too. If Tiger was tied with 17 others with the same score, he'd be listed at the top of that group.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. OrangeShogun

OrangeShogun 500+ Posts

If I'm not mistaken, if multiple golfers are tied, they list the leader by who is furthest through their round, i.e. Player A and Player B are tied for the lead. Player A has completed their round, Player B has completed 16 holes. Player A would appear first on the leader board. I think that's also how they determine final pairings.

• Agree Agree x 3
  13. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

I have no idea

14. Clean

Clean 5,000+ Posts

I’m no expert, but all I know is that whatever scoring group Tiger was in, he was always listed at the top of that group. I suspect it’s up to the network to list them however they choose. There’s nothing official about how they’re ranked on TV.

15. DKRoyal fan

DKRoyal fan 100+ Posts

I'm not sure about this, but I was under the impression that they always list the one within the same scoring group that has the most majors to his name first, thus Tiger would always be listed first. Jordan would be first if his 3 majors trumps the others who have the same score.

I'm not sure what they would do if Bruce Koepka and Rory Mcillroy are in the same scoring group since they both have 4 majors between them. But as I say, I am not certain about this, however it seems to work when I've been watching the tournaments.

Of course, I would be happy and wouldn't complain if they listed Jordan "Effing" Spieth first every time.'

Hook'em

16. Clean

Clean 5,000+ Posts

Maybe, or they just list the big names first to create interest, which would be the ones with the most majors. In Tiger's case, since he was such a TV ratings draw, I figured they just wanted to make it look like he was in the running, even if he wasn't, so that casual fans would watch. Spieth is a big name, even though he hasn't been relevant lately. I know when I turn on a golf match and I don't know anybody on the leader board, I tend not to watch very long -- like the Texas Open usually.

17. DKRoyal fan

DKRoyal fan 100+ Posts

You might be onto something. I guess if Nicklaus was playing in the Masters and tied with Tiger after the first hole I'm not sure they would follow the "most majors" method that I mentioned in my previous post.

However, that will not likely be a problem since Jack only gets to tee off with the old timers, and I don't think Tiger will be playing golf anytime soon after his accident.

I do hope Woods recovers, although he has never been a fav of mine. Notwithstanding this, he has given us some great golf and I respect him for that.

18. Olehornfan

Olehornfan 2,500+ Posts

Jordan finishes his third round in the Texas Open tied for first after just missing an eagle on the last hole.

• Like Like x 7
  19. dukesteer

dukesteer 5,000+ Posts

The approach shot he made on 17 has to rank high on the list of his best ever.

20. Pomspoms

Pomspoms 5,000+ Posts

Go Spieth.
    I hope you conquer today and next weekend.

• Like Like x 1
  21. stanhin

stanhin 5,000+ Posts

He leads by 3 after 12

• Like Like x 1
  22. Olehornfan

Olehornfan 2,500+ Posts

Jordan has a three stroke lead with six to plaly. Looks good for the horn.

• Like Like x 2
  23. caryhorn

caryhorn 5,000+ Posts

Jordan is now 3 up going to 13

• Like Like x 1
  24. stanhin

stanhin 5,000+ Posts

down to 2 ahead after 13

25. HornHuskerDad

HornHuskerDad 5,000+ Posts

Jordan wins by two strokes. Very nice shot to the green on 18 from an iffy spot to set up a simple 2-putt par for the win. Let's hope he carries the momentum into the Masters.

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  26. ViperHorn

ViperHorn 10,000+ Posts

Finally. Now on to Agusta!

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  27. dukesteer

dukesteer 5,000+ Posts

He had an extraordinary round, as did Hoffman. Near perfect. No
    missed putts that counted, and probably none at all. Made every approach shot he needed to make, and he drove better than he has in a very long time.

If Jordan can keep it going he will be “the force” to be reckoned with in 2021.

Darn exciting.

• Agree Agree x 2
  28. bystander

bystander 10,000+ Posts

Roger Bannister

• Like Like x 1
  29. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

Jim Ryan was the first US high schooler to break the four minute mark.

• Like Like x 1
  30. bystander

bystander 10,000+ Posts

Yep. I probably knew that long ago. I looked him up. Unbelievable high school career. Ran into a buzz saw called Kip Keino in Mexico City.