June 5 Camp attendees and other stuff

Discussion in 'Recruiting' started by jmatt, May 17, 2011.

1. jmatt

jmatt 1,000+ Posts

Mostly courtesy Recruitocosm
    All 16 of the current commits will be there:

DE Caleb Bluiett
    DL Paul Boyette Jr.
    QB Connor Brewer
    DL Malcom Brown
    LB Timothy Cole
    LB Alex De La Torre
    CB Bryson Echols
    RB Johnathan Gray
    OL Camrhon Hughes
    LB Peter Jinkens
    WR Thomas Johnson
    WR Cayleb Jones
    DL Alex Norman
    DE Hassan Ridgeway
    OL Curtis Riser
    ATH Orlando Thomas
    OT Richard "Rico" Webb (Dematha, MD)

Verified uncommitted players attending:

OL Kennedy Estelle
    OL Andrus Peat
    DL Tomme Mark
    DL Javonte Magee
    DE Torshiro Davis
    DE Denzel Devall
    LB/DE Jamal Palmer (McKinney Boyd)

Supposed to be there (not 100% confirmed by the recruitocosm source):
    ATH Nelson Agholor

I read somewhere else that OL Vadal Alexander was coming (already had his flight set up), but they don't list him.

Invited, but not listed as attending (I got some of these names from other sources beyond the above link):

LB Dalton Santos (Van)
    ATH Daniel Brooks (Rockdale) (ou commit)
    CB Colin Blake (San Antonio Brandeis)
    S Marcell Harris (2013 guy from Florida)
    OL/DL Michael Starts (Waco La Vega) (will be at a TT camp on J5, but plans to visit Texas on his own, sometime in June).
    OL Dontre Wilson (DeSoto)
    OL Greg Brantley (Carthage)
    OL Tre'Von Armstead (Port Arthur Memorial) (BU Commit)
    DE Danielle Hunter (Katy Morton Ranch)

And recruitocosm also states we still have 6 or 7 more 'ships to give. If true, that means there's definitely some attrition coming.

----

Also, the rest of the 2011 guys will be showing up to enroll in school on the same weekend. Actually, they'll start showing up on Thursday the 2nd.

Just a reminder of who those guys are:

RB Joe Bergeron, North Mesquite
    RB Malcolm Brown, Cibolo Steele
    OL Josh Cochran, Hallsville
    OL Taylor Doyle, Austin Lake Travis
    OL Sedrick Flowers, Galena Park North Shore
    OL Garrett Greenlea, Klein Collins
    OL Marcus Hutchins, DeSoto
    WR Miles Onyegbule, Arlington
    WR Jaxon Shipley, Brownwood
    DT Desmond Jackson, Spring Westfield
    DT Quincy Russell, San Antonio Sam Houston
    LB Steve Edmond, Daingerfield
    LB Kendall Thompson, Carthage
    DB Sheroid Evans, Fort Bend Dulles
    DB Leroy Scott, South Houston
    DB Josh Turner, Millwood (Oklahoma City, OK)
    ATH Mykkele Thompson, San Antonio Stevens
    DE Cedric Reed, Cleveland

(QB David Ash, DB Quandre Diggs, TE M.J. McFarland and LB Chet Moss are already in school).

ADDED
    - I forgot that 2010 LB recruit Tevin Jackson finally gets to join the team, he'll also be enrolling at the same time as the 2011 guys.

2. OldHippie

OldHippie 2,500+ Posts

Thanks for the compilation jmatt. I'm glad there is some sort of goings-on in the off season.

3. BigVegasHorn26

BigVegasHorn26 250+ Posts

I have to believe there are some serious questions about whether or not Bible is going to be able to play competitively at the D1 level. Sad, because his ceiling seemed unlimited, but everything I've read indicates this guy just doesn't have the dedication to make it happen.

I"m surprised they haven't given him a run at OG yet with his weight issues. At least see if he can be a mauler on the offensive line. Howell's injury issues also seem to be raising a red flag. I think that's why we will see one of those leftover schollies used to target another DT.

4. 3nnsang

3nnsang 100+ Posts

Hopefully we get most if not all of those schollys filled up !

This message board has been ho-hum for a while now .

5. Whiterock Horn

Whiterock Horn 1,000+ Posts

May have something to do with a crappy season followed by, well, offseason.

6. TexasGolf

TexasGolf 2,500+ Posts

Wow, big time group right there.

Mack and Co. do your thing. Awesome that new signees will be there to help "recruit"

7. Burnt Orangeman

Burnt Orangeman 1,000+ Posts

Smells like.....

victory

8. UT4EVR

UT4EVR 100+ Posts

Scholarships are renewed annually at the school's discretion. If a player spends a couple years in the program refusing to develop and compete for playing time, I think he should be dropped. If his grades are up, he could obviously continue in school at his own expense.

Do it once or twice. It would send a message to all the other guys happy to sit on the bench wearing burnt orange.

9. HornSwoggler

HornSwoggler Horn Fan

Leftover schollies????? If I recall correctly, 13 schollarships will be available due to graduation after 2011 season. That includes Irby who will qualify for a Medical Hardship waiver in 2012 if desired so maybe only 12 scholarships open up.

We already have 16 verbals and the talk is that Texas will take in excess of 20 (some report as many as 23). So, in my opinion, there are no leftover scholarships. Some pretty serious attrition is looming to make room for the 2012 class.

The current roster shows 68 scholarship players with 18 more 2011 signees plus Tevin Jackson coming in this summer. That totals 87 so 2 spots have to open up this summer to meet the 85 limit on the first official practice day in August (assuming no grayshirt strategy is in play).

So attrition will have to be in the range of 5 to 12 over the next 15 months or so to accommodate incoming signees, current 2012 verbals and other targets. I have no idea who they might be nor do I want to speculate.

I don't disagree that someone who is not putting out adequate effort on the field or in the classroom needs to go elsewhere but I don't like for someone who has been busting his tail and doing whatever the coaches ask of him to be forced out in order to make room for the next big thing. The next big thing may be a bust! If the guys will put out the effort, the coaches need to "coach them up". Not only were the players studs at one point, the current coaches are studs, aren't they?

It will be an interesting year watching all this work itself out.

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

10. longtex

longtex Guest

11. HornSwoggler

HornSwoggler Horn Fan

longtex

I have read the confusing NCAA regs several times resulting in lower IQ and headaches. As far as I can tell, if a player stops participating in athletics, the athletic scholarship is relinquished and becomes available for someone else in that sport assuming the team is under the 85 limit for football. If the ex-athlete wants to stay at Texas, there is no prohibition but it will be on his own dime or under some other scholarship/sponsor that the individual has to work out for himself. The ex-athlete can not stay on an athletic scholarship and not have it count against the limits. Of course, there are special situations where a medically restricted athlete gets to keep a scholarship even though they will never play again (Nader from Westlake, for example).

The rules gets sticky if the scholarship player quits a sport, stays in school, then rejoins the team. That's rare and really doesn't apply to attrition issues.

About the only time a "spare scholarship" exists is when someone drops out right before a season and the spare is awarded to a non-scholarship player as a reward for working hard and being a loyal and valuable team member.

12. Rambo

Rambo < 25 Posts

Thanks man.

13. longtex

longtex Guest

14. glenn

glenn 1,000+ Posts

hey, that's a great group that's coming in to visit on the 5th and another great group of younger guys, mostly, coming in on the 12th. there's a lot popping right now.

agholor was mentioned as a possibility on the 5th but certainly sometime during june, but another key out of state guy who is in the plans for a june visit is landon collins out of geismar, la, just south of baton rouge.  he's another who would make a difference, and i've seen it said on an lsu board that he is likely to go out of louisiana to play.

regarding renewing scholorships, i think it is important to distinguish-as some here suggest-between kids on the bench because we overestimated their ability or other cause beyond their control and kids who just don't want to put forth what it would take to do well.  any kid on my team who is doing what he can to help is welcome on my team.

15. HornSwoggler

HornSwoggler Horn Fan

I agree. Longtex...application is variable. What I don't get is that the colleges put up with the NCAA nonsense since the NCAA only has authority based on the agreement of the colleges it is supposed to control. The college heads ought to tell the NCAA it is disbanding the organization but will abide by the rules and regs developed over the years. A clean sweep is justified. Start a new org called the New & Improved CAA with none of the previous execs. Some decent folk may be lost with the screwups but the end result might be better. I know this is all just wishful thinking.