Just like that, OKC...

Discussion in 'Men’s Basketball' started by VYFan, Dec 16, 2014.

1. VYFan

VYFan 2,500+ Posts

is only 1/2 game out of the playoffs. Six in a row since putting the stars back on the court and other mid-level teams in the West falling.

If they end up in the 6, 7 or 8 spot, it will seem a little unfair to one of the top seeds, but at this rate, that may not be the issue. Anyway, there really are 8 very good teams in the West, so maybe the exact seeding isn't as important as usual.

2. Statalyzer

Statalyzer 10,000+ Posts

Seriously, the West is so stacked relative to the East, and it might even be worse than it was last year.

3. VYFan

VYFan 2,500+ Posts

Well, after I posted this on December 16, the Thunder ended up treading water for 4 months and never got that extra half game they needed. Like a lot of UT fans, I have kind of adopted OKC on Kevin Durant's behalf. I actually think it is better that they missed the playoffs. Westbrook has played like a crazy person and surely must need some rest. They can't win anyway with the lineup they have at this point.

If Durant and Ibaka come back healthy next year, I think they will be in a great position (if). Durant had played so much in the past few years, from the NBA, playoffs, and international, that he should benefit from some time off. And, as for Westbrook, he got to drive the car for a while, make a run at MVP, lead the league in scoring, get his name in the papers or ESPN everyday, (i.e., stroke his ego, which seemed to need it), basically be out of Durant's shadow for a while and experiment with his game. Now, both Westbrook and Durant have some individual skins on the wall, so to speak, so maybe they can relax and play a more Spurs-like selfless style of play. If they do play with good chemistry, they have two basically unguard-able players on offense, some good role players, a good defense, and several years of experience going deep into the playoffs with the same basic core of players--young players at that.

So, as weakly as the season ended, I could see them being awesome next year.

4. TXLonghorndad

TXLonghorndad 100+ Posts

Well after they failed to make the playoffs, now we know that Durant is the true MVP of the team.

Will Westbrook willingly give back the keys when Durant and Ibaka return?

I believe next season is Durant's last year on his current contract. What will Thunder management do to have Durant sign a long term contract with them? Their magic touch disappeared after they let Hardin go, but they seem to have recovered this year with some of the mid season changes.

I think letting Scott Brooks go would also be a plus.

5. Statalyzer

Statalyzer 10,000+ Posts

Gotta say, after Adam Stern revoked the technical to make sure Westbrook got to play in a key game, I was happy to see them miss the playoffs.