Just watched the first half in 3D

Discussion in 'In The Stands' started by 4th_and_18, Jan 8, 2009.

1. 4th_and_18

4th_and_18 100+ Posts

For those that didn't know, the BCS Championship game was shown in 3D in many theaters across the country tonight. I decided to go check it out.

I think once the kinks get worked out 3D sports will become popular.

Good:
    Picture was amazingly crisp when in focus.
    The 3D was great as long as they didn't zoom in too much.

Bad:
    The producers of the 3D broadcast had no interest in football tonight. They were there to promote 3D broadcasting and everything associated with the broadcast. The audience missed about half the plays because the angle/shot was so bad. They would either be zoomed in to show off the 3D or they would not even be showing the game....again to show off the 3D shot they were proud of at that point.

Another problem was that there was no info on the screen to tell you anything about the game; no down and distance, no game clock, no play clock, no score....nothing.

I heard many people in the theater asking "Where's the yellow line?" We've become spoiled as fans and we need the yellow line.

I think if they fixed these problems i would go watch everything they showed in 3D. If they find a way to involve beer and food into the equation, it would sell out.

2. LonghornCatholic

LonghornCatholic Deo Gratias

Does ou still suck in 3-D?

3. 4th_and_18

4th_and_18 100+ Posts

it's high definition, 3D suckage....there's a reason that the 3D cameras stayed away from the OU cheerleaders and focused on the Florida cheerleaders.

4. LongestHorn

LongestHorn 2,500+ Posts

I was at the same Galaxy 10 theater, 4th and 18. I was the best looking broadcast of any sporting event I have ever witnessed.

It had the feel of a beta test for this technology. But they nailed it by kickoff.

Other cool things. No ads. When the rest of the nation was watching the same 10 ****** ads on the fox broadcast, we were enjoying the football experience of watching the cheerleaders in 3D.

Everyone had their phones connected to the internet and were getting all the stats because there was no information of the screen, just video. And I found it refreshing. I didn't have to watch the stupid fox robot, the scrolling scores of NBA or the Home Depot down and distance marker yellow line. It was actually like watching a football game.

And the Sooners fans were there, of course. Pooor Soooners.

5. 4th_and_18

4th_and_18 100+ Posts

i agree that it was a great picture, but how can you say it was a great game? Half the time the game was not even shown. The game was going on in the background while a "great 3D shot of the linebacker" was being shown.

The shot that actually showed the game would've actually kept me there for the second half. That was great. A little info on the screen wouldn't take away from the game. The screen is what...a fifty foot screen? put the damn score and down and distance on the screen.

6. LongestHorn

LongestHorn 2,500+ Posts

Half the time the game was not even show? It's because you left at halftime, dude. You didn't even stay the the singing to Eyes. [​IMG]

I rewatched the game on DVR. Fox non-3D had 2-3 times the number of cameras all around the field as the 3D cameras. But when Tebow and Harris had their little "Chomp Off" where Tebow was penalized, the 3D guys had it live. The TV broadcasters only showed a piece of it in replay.

This is the future, folks, and it looks better than ever. And it will only improve as they add cameras and content, including commentators. But I have to tell you, I would like to have the option of muting the talking heads and just listen to the crowd noise, bands and hits.

They can charge PPV TV for me it they want to, but next season I would LOVE to DVR all the Texas games in 3D. Cinedign and 3eality really pulled it off.

7. fly524

fly524 25+ Posts

So when can we get it in the house?

8. 4th_and_18

4th_and_18 100+ Posts

ok...again...i agree the picture was great. I only wish the people choosing the shots had some experience with sports broadcasting. I also think this will be successful, but only if they make the necessary changes.

I heard David Modell on the Dan Patrick show say that in-home sets are in development, but they are still way too expensive. think plasma five years before it was actually a well-known product.

my girlfriend starting feeling sick because of the out-of-focus shots and the way-too-zoomed-in shots....so we left. i actually give a sh....well...i actually care about other people and am not completely lost in my own selfish, fantasy world where everything rotates around me. that's why i only stayed for one half. don't ever question my fanhood again you piece of s....

9. LongestHorn

LongestHorn 2,500+ Posts

I wasn't questioning your fanhood, 4th and 18. I thought the wink was developed to communicate to you a tongue in my cheek. What do you think it means? I'm hitting on you? [​IMG]

I don't believe the technology is designed to require any new TV sets. It is a signal function whose limitations were recently addressed in a duplexed video signal. Cisco servers delivered the signal to existing DLP HD projectors.

I can understand your girlfriend getting a kiss of motion sickness. Because we were wearing polarized lenses, the signals are right and left eye, the 3D beta 'tweeking' caused some very real physical eye muscle pain as our eyes were dragged out of the 3D focus. Kinda like an opthamologist eye test when the better or worse game is really worse.

I am talking to video game developers on Monday to address the R and L coded signal possibilities as they relate to existing TV refresh rates.

A couple years away from bundled cable providers applying those signals to our set-top Scientific Atlanta hardware, I imagine.

10. kevinmal

kevinmal 25+ Posts

11. wherzwaldo

wherzwaldo 1,000+ Posts

Do you have to wear those red/blue glasses to see the 3D? Or has it changed since then?

12. LongestHorn

LongestHorn 2,500+ Posts

13. ptownhorn

ptownhorn 1,000+ Posts

Is this game in 3D?

No, but your face is

14. 4th&5

4th&5 1,000+ Posts