Kansas Moving Towards Hiring Les Miles

Discussion in 'On The Field' started by militaryhorn, Nov 17, 2018.

1. militaryhorn

militaryhorn Prediction Contest Manager

Not sure if anybody else has seen this headline scrolling across the ticket but it is interesting.

Why would Les go to Kansas after having a top tier program of LSU under his belt? Wouldn't a better school be interested in hiring him?

2. Horn6721

Horn6721 10,000+ Posts

My Bil and Sil are big loyal Hawkers.
    They are not happy and he has voiced his displeasure.
    They feel he is too old, out of touch with how to recruit and made the point that trying to resurrect like with Charlie Weiss did not end well. They tell me many alums are not happy

3. LousianaHorn

LousianaHorn Kabong

He recruited pretty well at LSU as their roster is still pretty much Les Miles recruits.

4. Vol Horn 4 Life

Vol Horn 4 Life Good Bye To All The Rest!

Right? Since when does Kansas get to complain that they hired a good coach but hes too old. They're lucky they can hire any decent coach.

• Agree Agree x 4
  5. horninchicago

horninchicago 10,000+ Posts

6. WorsterMan

WorsterMan SEC here we come!!

It would be ineresting and good for the conference and hell, maybe KU!!

• Agree Agree x 3
  7. LonghornCatholic

LonghornCatholic Deo Gratias

Tech should reach out to Miles before Kansas closes deal.

• Agree Agree x 2
  8. ViperHorn

ViperHorn 10,000+ Posts

This; Kansas can hire Kingsbury.

9. Dionysus

Dionysus Idoit Admin

The Mad Hatter is a Jayhawk
    Big 12 just got a little more interesting

• Agree Agree x 2
  10. Statalyzer

Statalyzer 10,000+ Posts

When you're that bad, might as well hire a crazy risk-taker. What's the worst outcome? They might lose a bunch of games?

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 2
  11. rick mueller

rick mueller Burnt Orange Bleeder

The hire is being announced as official.

12. easy

easy 2,500+ Posts

13. Sangre Naranjada

Sangre Naranjada 10,000+ Posts

[​IMG]

As you wish.

• Funny Funny x 4
  14. I_Dont_Exist

I_Dont_Exist 1,000+ Posts

I've always liked Miles and don't know why anyone doesn't. Usually everyone loves the crazy uncle. Not a great hire though. Short term it creates a bit of a buzz but recruiting to Kansas is a different animal than LSU. His age will be a factor and they can't compete for the top players to begin with.

• Agree Agree x 2
  15. Phil Elliott

Phil Elliott 2,500+ Posts

Please do tell what other coach WITH AN NC UNDER HIS BELT could KU even sniff? This is a huge get for KU as far as I am concerned. My son goes to Tech and he is really bent - hes been wanting Miles for TTU since this time last year.

• Agree Agree x 3
  16. I_Dont_Exist

Not a single one. It was also 11 years ago at a historically great power. Everything else in my post is today's reality.

17. I_Dont_Exist

On second thought there's always Gene Chizik.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. I_Dont_Exist

One last thing, I'll give you he'd have a better chance at success at TT than Kansas.

• Agree Agree x 4
  19. BevoJoe

BevoJoe 10,000+ Posts

Hell! Les couldn’t beat Texas while at OSU and doubt he can at either Toilet Tech or Kansas.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

It's a huge get for Kansas, who has their Adidas deal coming up with Nike bidding, Sure it is all about basketball, but having a proven football coach (whether he's proven in Lawrence or not) allows KU even more bargaining power to play Adidas against Nike. both of which are loathsome.

• Agree Agree x 1
  21. longhorn47

longhorn47 500+ Posts

When next year's recruits entered kindergarten...I'm just sayin'

22. ViperHorn

ViperHorn 10,000+ Posts

Agree. Also it is the Jumbo Fisher effect - now Kansas can tout that their football coach has won a NC - something no other coach in the Big XII can claim.

23. I_Dont_Exist

Four years and 15-20 wins from today Kansas will be looking for a new coach.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  24. ViperHorn

ViperHorn 10,000+ Posts

History says you are right, but with Synder leaving KSU, Lester will be a better coach than anyone who will go to KSU. That will add some additional victories. Also, Tceh will screw-up the Kingsbury replacement so that will be a few more victories. Lester's challenge is to pull Kansas up to the TCU - Baylor level beating those two at least in Lawrence.

25. Sangre Naranjada

Sangre Naranjada 10,000+ Posts

15-20 wins in 4 years would be a major high water mark for KU football.

26. blonthang

blonthang 2,500+ Posts

Speaking of history, checked out KU football history and found link after link to some interesting trivia w/r/t KU and Texas football, a bunch of worthless, but somewhat interesting trivia follows.

Research shows, hell, even with Gale Sayers, 1962-64, the best the Jayhawks could do was 6-3-1.

Oh, there was that perfect 10-0 season under coach Fielding H. Yost, in FREAKING 1899, coaching there one year, then going to Stanford and San Jose State each for one year, then Meatchicken where his teams won 6 MNCs (4 straight from 1901-04, 1918, 1923). Why would you leave a 10-0 HC gig? Stanford and San Jose State for the weather; I guess Meatchicken had the bucks and rep.

George Sauer coached them 1946-47, to 7-2-1 and 8-1-2 records, then coached at Navy for 2 years, then Baylor 1950-55, 38-21-3 there.

Sauer earlier played at NU under DX Bible 1931-33; Bible, who had previously coached at aggy 1917, 1929-28, then went to HC at NU 1929-36, left NU for Texas 1937-46, becoming AD and hiring DKR.

Bible's 1919 aggy team was undefeated, unscored upon, outscoring its opposition 275-0 for the season. Bible started the twelfth man thingy.

Further trivia, George Sauer had a son, George Sauer, Jr., UT letterman, sophmore on the 1963 Texas MNC squad, all-pro with the Jets, caught 8 passes from Namath to beat the Colts in the AFL-NFL World Championship game (aka later, the Super Bowl).

John Outland, player for Penn 1891-92, then Kansas 1895-96, then back to Penn 1897-99, HC at Kansas 1901, for whom the Outland Award is named, only went 3-5-2 as HC at KU.

Warned you this would be a bunch of trivia dump, but some of it interesting.

Last edited: Nov 19, 2018