Kansas @ Texas 01/10/2023

Discussion in 'Women’s Basketball' started by brnkj, Jan 9, 2023.

1. brnkj

brnkj 2,500+ Posts

Well boys and girls, unfortunately it doesn't get any easier. I'm hoping Vic and Co. can get the act together soon.
    Hook 'Em!

• Like Like x 6
  2. LutherIsMyDog

LutherIsMyDog 1,000+ Posts

• Like Like x 5
  3. Born in ATX

Born in ATX 500+ Posts

A lot of great stuff in that presser today. Vic with perspective on the season, what our problems are, how to fix them, and a lot of great insight on the men's program as well.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 1
  4. texexted

texexted 500+ Posts

I’m an optimist - and a believer in Vic.
    I’m confident Texas comes out focused and wins this game. You could tell losing the OSU game really bothered him. Especially the defensive performance.
    I’m thinking Texas wins by 10.

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  5. UrsusArctos

UrsusArctos 100+ Posts

Thanks for posting that, great presser. Much appreciated.

6. cnb

cnb 5,000+ Posts

Much better game in all phases. Except....Fouls....Grrrr

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. Jacob Johnson

Jacob Johnson 2,500+ Posts

We look much better than what we did against Oklahoma state. The rotations on defense and transition offense is starting to look like a Vic Schaefer team. Not there yet but it’s coming along. Remember in 2021 Texas had a tough season and lost by 17 at Oklahoma state and went on to the elite 8. Let’s hope this is one of those type of situations:hookem:

• Like Like x 6
    • Agree Agree x 3
  8. BALL IS LIFE

BALL IS LIFE 500+ Posts

Gonzales can’t miss. Steph Curry vibes!

• Like Like x 5
    • Winner Winner x 2
  9. Bucksgal

Bucksgal 500+ Posts

Holy moly, the good caliber game I've been waiting to see all season. Just need to cut out some of the fouls. Oh, and Charlie Creme...what do you think about Shaylee now?

• Like Like x 9
  10. UrsusArctos

UrsusArctos 100+ Posts

Great to have Taylor back, with Hadi in foul trouble she was key. The future is looking quite a bit brighter.
    Shaylee just killing it, our offense looks good and the D was better.
    Now let's beat Iowa State.

• Like Like x 7
    • Hot Hot x 1
  11. WCBBNUT

WCBBNUT 2,500+ Posts

Fantastic game to watch in person. Not a huge crowd (decent) but we were loud. Rori has a target on her back poor thing, but she guts it out. Way to play, Horns! Now beat the hell out of ISU!
    :bevo:

• Like Like x 5
  12. flash34

flash34 1,000+ Posts

Kansas has a nice starting five. Their quick guards give Harmon all she wants. Really good win. Intensity was way up over last game. Iowa State will be a fun game. Soares being out changes things a lot. I’m sure hoping we build on tonight and are hitting on all cylinders when Horns go to Lubbock next Wednesday. So next two games will be VERY interesting.

• Like Like x 5
    • Agree Agree x 2
  13. Born in ATX

Born in ATX 500+ Posts

Hoping for a great crowd Sunday afternoon!

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 1
  14. Born in ATX

Born in ATX 500+ Posts

All guards for tonights presser. Glad Vic brought Sonya up too. She really helps us stay in these games. [No reporter mics though :cursing2:]

• Like Like x 5
    Last edited: Jan 10, 2023
  15. texexted

texexted 500+ Posts

Gonzalez was nails on defensive and offensive end. And Morris continues to be one of my favorite - such a pure shooter. She should be given the green light to shoot always - even though there are times Vic gets upset when she pulls the trigger too soon.
    Texas controlled this game from start to finish and it was great to see Jones get so many minutes. I said we’d beat Kansas by 10. We will also beat Iowa State Sunday in another slugfest.

• Like Like x 8
    • Winner Winner x 2
  16. brnkj

brnkj 2,500+ Posts

Really good game for us. The focus was there from the opening tip, and we withstood and responded to that second-half surge that most good teams give you when they're down double digits at halftime and playing with an amped up sense of urgency.

It's great seeing Shalee play with more and more confidence (on both ends) as the season progresses. Sonya was lights out but ended up on the bench a lot. I think a lot of her sitting the second half was because the combination on the floor was so effective at building and maintaining a lead. Even though on paper it may not have been what we consider as our "best" lineup, it was the best during that stretch of the game. Kudos to Vic for recognizing and sticking with it.

Love it that Amina, Shae, and Jones gave us so many important quality minutes while Hadi, Gaston, and Morris were sitting. Love the way Rori caused those missed KU layups in transition.

We shared the ball exceptionally well and shot a good percentage because of that. There's still work to do in cleaning up fouls, turnovers, and free throws but I think we'll get there. Shalee had her breakout game where everything seems to be registering for her. Sonya's is coming... it's just a matter of time, and when that happens I think we are going to be really tough to deal with. I'm waiting for Mwenentanda to have hers also. But we have to continue to clean up the details because of our lack of depth in certain spots.

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    Last edited: Jan 11, 2023
  17. brnkj

brnkj 2,500+ Posts

WTF is up with no mics for the reporters?! We're playing in a GAZILLION DOLLAR new arena and we can't provide the equipment necessary to have a decent presser?
    :soapbox:

• Agree Agree x 7
    • Hot Hot x 1
  18. 05Longhorn

05Longhorn 250+ Posts

It also drives me crazy that the background is too small. I was jealous of TCU’s press conference set up. Not sure how Texas ended up with this after all the money spent.

• Agree Agree x 3
  19. UrsusArctos

UrsusArctos 100+ Posts

I think Sonya would have had a monster game offensively if it wasn’t for the early fouls that put her on the bench. 9 points and 2 fouls in the 1rst quarter.

One concern I had last night was Rori playing 40 minutes. She had 2 turnovers late and missed her two last free throws and looked completely gassed after the game. Teams are absolutely going after the head of the snake and making her work bringing the ball up (she got whacked twice late in the game). I know we have trouble in the backcourt when she sits but we need to find something that works, we need to get her sitting for small breaks. Her effectiveness at the end of games is crucial for us.

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Like Like x 1
  20. flash34

flash34 1,000+ Posts

Harmon seems to have solved her crazy foul problem. The 40 minutes concerns me but a lot of teams don’t have the quick on ball defenders that make her work…..like KS did. Her conditioning seems fine. It’s the one-off foul night that always concerns me. Especially in The Dance. But for this year without a true back up point guard, it’s just reality.

• Like Like x 1
  21. flash34

flash34 1,000+ Posts

Anybody have a crises EVERY time Jones fell on the floor? Whether it’s back, shoulder, ankle, or other…..there’s a lot of moving parts to her. She really adds value and I cringe until she gets up and seems to be ok.

• Agree Agree x 8
    • Winner Winner x 2
  22. Born in ATX

Born in ATX 500+ Posts

I was especially amazed at the really good quality of all of the audio at the TCU post-game presser last week. The reporters, Vic and the players all sounded fantastic at TCU's facility. You could probably buy all of the equipment to get a sound like that at a local guitar center store for less than $1200. So I can't for the life of me figure out what UTs problem is with this. Whoever is in charge of this needs a different job.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  23. HornView

HornView 1,000+ Posts

Or a decent budget and if that’s the case how embarrassing for the University. Whatever the case it is embarrassing and a simple detail that needs to be addressed. This is effing crazy! SMH

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Hot Hot x 1
  24. Sangre Naranjada

Sangre Naranjada 10,000+ Posts

With Soares out, Iowa State is very vulnerable to Vic's defense.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  25. WCBBNUT

WCBBNUT 2,500+ Posts

Agree. ISU is back to its “live by the three, die by the three” without Soares. Vic’s teams historically destroy those teams…. BUT Oklahoma State rained threes on us in Stillwater so here’s hoping our track record of shutting down ISU’s outside game sticks. I think we are 6-0 over the last two seasons with them.

• Agree Agree x 2
  26. Sincerely hookem

Sincerely hookem 100+ Posts

I definitely think Vic needs to consider giving Rori a break sometimes. I think ,after I watched the game back like film session, at the end of 2nd and 3rd quarters would be optimal to bring her out. Amina next year is going to be a monster once she gets some post moves. We have our lineup now which is good. Amina, Tay and Holle off the bench is hard to deal with.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Winner Winner x 1
  27. Jacob Johnson

Jacob Johnson 2,500+ Posts

We all know Morris is a shooter and Holle has really been a consistent threat as of late. If Texas can get 2-3 three pointers from Gonzales a game it would really take this team to a new level and open up so much more. Iowa state loves running zone against us and with Soares out Texas has a huge advantage against them in the paint. Gaston and Faye especially should be dominant down low with offensive rebounds and second chance points. I like our chances in this matchup but we have to be consistent and rotation on defense will be key because they will light up the 3 point line if not guarded correctly.

Thank you all for coming to my pregame scouting report :coolnana:

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Hot Hot x 1
  28. 1sahorn

1sahorn 1,000+ Posts

What a monster game from Shaylee. She looks MUCH better in Burnt Orange & White than byu blue.

• Like Like x 2
  29. CreakyHorn

CreakyHorn 500+ Posts

I enjoy reading people's thoughts on the games, especially the ones we win. It's been mentioned, and rightfully so, that Shaylee and Sonia had excellent performances. One not mentioned as much is Amina. I thought she had probably her best game. When our bigs got into some foul trouble early on, she came in and held her own defensively and on the boards. I'm really looking forward to watching her develop further.

• Agree Agree x 7
    • Like Like x 4
  30. Rexy

Rexy 1,000+ Posts

I agree, especially watching Amina grow and develop. She's going to be a good one.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2