Kansas vs. Texas Game 3

Discussion in 'Baseball' started by NBHorn7, Apr 16, 2016.

1. LonghornCatholic

LonghornCatholic Deo Gratias

2. car54

car54 1,000+ Posts

Well our baseball team can play in the rain.......
    Good series win.

3. orangeblack&gold

orangeblack&gold 500+ Posts

Tied for 3rd place in the B12! As good or better than 8 or 9 others, at least. Let's sweep tceh and get the train back on the tracks, boys.

• Like Like x 1
  4. bevolover

bevolover < 25 Posts

Due u happen to know if these pitchers r hurt r just not playing, redshirt. Tyler schimpf,James nittoli,chance callihan and Parker Joe.Thanks and HooK Em

5. Brad Austin

Brad Austin 2,500+ Posts

That sounds like an accomplishment on the surface but it's not so great. In actuality we aren't tied for 3rd, once the overall record is used to break the tie, we are 4th.

With only 9 teams, it means we are behind 3 teams and above 5 others. 7-5 is certainly something to build from though.

We could make a huge leap by sweeping Tech this weekend. We at least have to win the series and all the rest.

I was ready to write this team off when it became clear Augie was going to continue and play lineups with both sub .200 Boswell and Cantu together.

Had no idea Baker's big bat would return this fast and wipe away one of our dead bats. He adds continuity to an already improving lineup.

If the pitching can tighten up and support these more productive lineups with Baker now back, there is a glimmer of hope now to make a run.

If we could enter conf tourney at least 3 games above .500. Even losing in the final might be good enough for an at-large.

3-1 tourney record would pad the resume further. With a good Big 12 record, 2nd place in tourney, and then 5 games over .500...that would likely do it.

Not expecting this team to play in June. But Baker's return removes one crippling roadblock. There was a 2% chance before, I'd go with 20% now.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2016
  6. NBHorn7

NBHorn7 Pimp Daddy

Parker Joe Robinson was coming off surgery that set him down for all of last season. He was supposed to be a big contributor on the staff.

He pitched a couple of times this season for one inning and didn't look good. He hasn't recovered totally, maybe next season he will, has a big time arm, when healthy.

The others just didn't make the grade this season.

Texas had to sweep Kansas in Austin and didn't. I'm not sure which would be easier at this point, winning the Big 12 Tournament, or sweeping Tech in Lubbock. I'm leaning toward winning the Tournament, since Texas hasn't swept a series all year.

Texas has a current RPI of 138, only Kansas State at 148 and Kansas at 190 are worse in the Big 12. Only 64 teams get into Regionals, many of those are automatic bids. Texas has to at least finish in second place in the conference now, to get above the .500 level.

Tech will probably crack the top 10 in most of the new polls this week. It was just announced that all three games are now sellouts against Texas. They smell blood in the water.

Tech is on a big time roll and they are a good team, maybe the best in the conference, they still have a series in Fort Worth.

7. orangeblack&gold

So you're saying there's a chance?

• Like Like x 1
  8. NBHorn7

NBHorn7 Pimp Daddy

There's always a chance till there isn't one. Tech has two games this week before the Texas series in New Mexico, that might help.

Then again they had two games against top ten Florida State on the road, before their series against Oklahoma State in Stillwater. They swept that series. They are 29-9 on the season, 11-1 in the conferencee, and have won nine games in a row.

9. orangeblack&gold

I think you are going to have 2 out of 3 fun threads to run this weekend, NB. We're going to go into Lubbock and play UP to our competition. Calling a series win here on Monday night.

Who's with me?

• Like Like x 1
  10. Brad Austin

Brad Austin 2,500+ Posts

I'd say the chances of a series win are better than slim. 27-8 TCU agrees. :smile1:

11. NBHorn7

NBHorn7 Pimp Daddy

A sweep or series win by Tech and how the rest of the Red Raider season goes down, may put Tim Tadlock's name on the watch list, as possible UT head coach replacements.

12. uisge beatha

uisge beatha 1,000+ Posts

As a former tech player, how loyal do you think he is to the school if we do show interest?

13. NBHorn7

NBHorn7 Pimp Daddy

I think he would have to consider the offer and see if Tech would counter with an offer.

Everybody wants to move up in their profession. An offer from Texas, if it came, might be a once in a lifetime event.

Honestly, I don't see how a coach that has been steadily moving up in college baseball could turn it down. Texas is a destination school, that coaches hope to reach and then hopefully finish their career at.

Tech just can't offer the things Texas can to their major coaches, not many schools can. In the end it's of course up to him and what make him and his family comfortable.

Players and coaches want challenges and the chance to be the best at what they do. Texas offers all that and the compensation is certainly there. He would get a better salary and amenities. At age 47, it's time to make a move like this if your going to do it at all. This is only his fourth season at Tech, so he isn't all that firmly entrenched, like other coaches are.

I think he would take the job, keeping a top program going at Tech would be very hard to do. He probably knows this.

This is the difference between him and Schlossnagle, who has built a solid program at TCU and been there for twelve seasons. He might be harder to get.

• Like Like x 1