Kavanaugh's SC Confirmation Hearings

Discussion in 'West Mall' started by Clean, Sep 6, 2018.

1. mb227

mb227 de Plorable

They would also be hard-pressed to even satisfy the language associated WITH the impeachment process. There is no treason, there is no bribery and there don't appear to be any High Crimes or misdemeanors upon which a legitimate proceeding could be had...

But, I have no doubt that this will not be something that was sufficient to prevent a tremendous waste of time and economic resources.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. Mr. Deez

Mr. Deez Beer Prophet

Need to comment on Susan Collins. Her involvement in the Kavanaugh confirmation illustrates why it's a bad idea to kneejerk piss on moderate Republicans. Her impact was very big. Obviously, when you only have 51 votes, her vote was crucial, but there's a lot more to it than that. By not only supporting him but doing so in a very vocal manner, she redefined the political narrative surrounding his confirmation. Nobody was shocked that staunch conservatives were backing Kavanaugh. However, Collins made it OK for people who are fair-minded but not necessarily staunchly conservative or partisan to back Kavanaugh. The result? Just from a political narrative standpoint, his support was made to appear broad, while the opposition narrowed down to predictably partisan left-wing hacks. Effectively, she broadened the judicially conservative brand, and that is extremely valuable. We need more of that, not less.

Does this mean all criticism of moderate Republicans is bad? No, but we need to be cautious and restrained about it.

It also bears asking why Lisa Murkowski's No vote didn't cancel out the impact of Susan Collins' vote in favor. The reason why is that she was half-assed and apologetic about her opposition, while Collins' support was vocal and defiant.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  3. Run Pincher

Run Pincher 2,500+ Posts

Susan Collins explains just what kind of special scum the dems are.

4. mchammer

mchammer 10,000+ Posts

Perjury

5. BrntOrngStmpeDe

BrntOrngStmpeDe 1,000+ Posts

I've got admit that I'm starting to come around to that view as well. I loathe much of what Trump does but part of me recognizes that his personality may be the only style that has a chance of breaking through the MSM noise and propaganda. Every other GOP leader just cowers when the MSM piles on. He hasn't. And while I'm not a big fan of the state of our debate, I'm starting to think it might be the only way. Army infantry manual says when you fall into an ambush you don't turn and run, you turn into the fire and go full tilt. Maybe that's the only way to look at the current dynamic as well.

• Agree Agree x 3
  6. bystander

bystander 10,000+ Posts

I think the strong personality is important; I just think it's a mistake to antagonize people. I've said it before; when it comes to immigration all he has to say is he's here to enforce the law. If you don't like the law, talk to Congress. That's it. You don't have to insult anyone over it. I have long-time friends in Laredo (Mexican-Americans) who took what he said a long time ago very personally. They will never get over it. Now, I think they are being too culturally tied to Mexico but the thing is it was so unnecessary. We don't need convincing that immigration laws are important. We don't need to be sold on them in a manner that alienates people. Just enforce them.

And if I were Trump and felt the need to justify anything I'd ask the reporter to ask Obama why he deported over 3 million people during his eight years and leave it at that.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  7. Mr. Deez

Mr. Deez Beer Prophet

Just more evidence that if you're a "respected" Republican like Susan Collins or John McCain, that respect is limited to the situations in which you opposed the GOP. Link.

8. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

And then imagine where we would be with two Hillary Justices on the Court as of today. I dont know how Gary-Johnson-voters and non-voters come to terms with this.

9. Mr. Deez

Mr. Deez Beer Prophet

lk89r.jpg

• Funny Funny x 1
  10. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

From my perspective, the blind squirrel would be anyone who could not see what was coming with Hillary as President. You would have to be willingly blind to not see that

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. UTChE96

UTChE96 2,500+ Posts

Many conservatives who did not vote for Trump (including myself) did not believe he would appoint conservative justices. I'm glad that I was wrong but Trump had previously described himself as a pro-choicer with New York values. I thought we was a charlatan. I will likely vote for him in 2020 because he has proven to govern as he campaigned not as he spoke prior to his campaign.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. Htown77

Htown77 5,000+ Posts

Yeah, because Hillary really had a shot to win Texas due to us protest voters.....
    D38316EB-5BD4-445F-901F-4962B3F1F383.png

Just for grins and thanks to hornfans Trumpricans, I may now write in “Big Bird” in 2020 and let’s see if Trump still wins Texas or not.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

You assume all posters in here live and vote in Texas. This is clearly wrong. You also assume Trump was an automatic in Texas in 2016 when, at the time, almost every big media company on the entire world was giving Hillary a chance in Texas. Only in hindsight are the results obvious. Lastly, writing in Big Bird wont make you correct, or an outlaw or a radical or whatever it is you are going for. It would just be silly.

• Agree Agree x 2
  14. Horn6721

Horn6721 10,000+ Posts

I would like to understand why anyone who is even moderately conservative or who likes to see good things happening to America and American would waste a vote.
    I can see voting for a real 3rd party candidate if one really agreed with the candidates positions.

15. Monahorns

Monahorns 5,000+ Posts

I will have to seriously think about it this time. There were so many unknowns about Trump, I just couldn't vote for him with a clear conscience. Now after seeing his actions and the insane reaction people have to his policies, I am leaning toward voting for him just to poke the Marxist bear.

• Like Like x 3
  16. Sangre Naranjada

Sangre Naranjada 10,000+ Posts

I will probably vote Republican for POTUS for the first time since Bush the Elder's first term.
    [​IMG]
    The added bonus will be hearing and seeing this all over again!

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  17. Htown77

Htown77 5,000+ Posts

But, what if I was going for silly?

If it makes you feel better, if I lived in a swing state, I would probably have voted for Trump.

• Like Like x 1
  18. mb227

mb227 de Plorable

You mean that offense of which there is zero evidence as relates to Kavanaugh?

19. 2003TexasGrad

2003TexasGrad Son of a Motherless Goat

I've never been a Democrat or Republican and have abhorred both parties for a long time but the radical Left is driving me towards voting straight ticket Republican. The Democrats have gone too far. Burn them with fire. All of them.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  20. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

As time goes on, I start to see it less and less as one party vs. the other party. More and more now its sane people vs. the rest

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  21. 2003TexasGrad

2003TexasGrad Son of a Motherless Goat

That's the thing. Politics aside, Democrats are going insane. I cant handle the utter rudiculousness of them anymore. And theres only one other option unfortunately.

• Agree Agree x 1
  22. Mr. Deez

Mr. Deez Beer Prophet

You are correct that they may make the case for perjury. However, he didn't perjure himself. Any serious examination of his statements make it quite clear that he didn't commit perjury or even come very close to it. In addition, we've already set the precedent in 1998 that perjury is not grounds for removal from office, so even if he did commit perjury, that's not something over which you impeach somebody. (I think that's BS, but the Democrats set that precedent. I didn't.)

23. Phil Elliott

Phil Elliott 2,500+ Posts

That's your answer for everything. :smile1:

24. 4th_floor

4th_floor Dude, where's my laptop?

Ditto, probably says enough. First of all, I didn't believe there would be much difference between Trump and Hillary. Second of all, I didn't think Trump had a prayer of being elected. Very pleased to be completely wrong about Trump.

25. Mr. Deez

Mr. Deez Beer Prophet

Everybody had their own reasons and their own circumstances for opposing Candidate Trump, and I can only speak for myself. I voted against him for two reasons. First, I had major policy differences with him. I'm not going to regurgitate those differences in this thread, because they've already been discussed ad nauseam, but they were substantial. If you disagree with me enough, I won't vote for you, even if you have an opponent with whom I have more policy differences. Second, he was making the conservative brand needlessly toxic to many groups of people, and I did not want to associate with or be a part of that.

Having said that, fortunately, from a policy standpoint, President Trump has been different from Candidate Trump. He has mostly jettisoned the worst and most idiotic things he ran on, and on foreign policy (where I had my biggest disagreements), he has done perhaps not a 180 but at least a 150.

Furthermore, I do not consider myself "NeverTrump," even if I called myself that during the campaign. Once he won the election, I committed to judging him by his actions on the merits. I'm not going to oppose him just for the sake of opposing him or because I have sour grapes. I'm a critic, but I'm a fair critic or at least try to be. If he does wrong, I'll call him on it. But if he does right, I will commend him for it. Like any other president, he's entitled to that.

As for how toxic he is making the conservative brand, that is yet to be seen. We have an election next month. We'll see how that goes. If the GOP loses a bunch of suburban congressional seats to a bunch of crazy people because educated white voters who recently were loyal Republicans are turned off by Trump, that won't reflect well on Trump.

• Like Like x 4
  26. 4th_floor

4th_floor Dude, where's my laptop?

I had originally thought Trump would destroy the GOP. However, he has revitalized it. Somehow Trump has turned Mitch McConnell and Lindsey Graham from jellyfish into spine-supported creatures. That is a Red-Sea-parting type miracle in my book.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  27. mb227

mb227 de Plorable

Consistency is rarely a bad thing though when it comes to policy...

28. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

Not particularly. I invested some effort into pointing out what I saw as the key reason to vote for Trump. I think I even wrote you could hold your nose if you had to -- all of that is in the Primary and General Election threads. The main issue that set this presidential election apart from most any other presidential election was that the fate of the Supreme Court was at issue. And, by extension, the Constitution. And, by further extension, the Republic itself. So goes the Const, so goes the Republic.

From my perspective as of today, this is exactly what has come to pass. As I wrote above, just imagine today if Hillary had these two Justices and not Trump. And you could add a third to the list as RBG has basically admitted she would have already stepped down if Hillary had won. Imagine all 3 young and possibly all from the 9th Circuit. Had that happened, we would instead be talking in here these days about the merits of living overseas, on a permanent basis.

Look, I dont know, maybe one must actually go through law school to fully appreciate what is so special about the US Constitution. Or maybe it takes that education PLUS living outside the US for a certain amount of years. I honestly do not know the answer to this, everyone has to figure it out on their own. What I do know the answer to and what I am certain of is that this was the most consequential federal election of all of our lifetimes. And you guys were taking a HUGE RISK, almost cavalierly by my take, with your lives, the lives of your family and friends, and all of our futures. So, again, in answer to your question, no, it doesnt really make me "feel better."

29. bystander

bystander 10,000+ Posts

I want a strict constructionist and that includes fully supporting the wall between church and state.

30. huisache

huisache 2,500+ Posts

I judge candidates on matters of character as much as policy positions (which most of them will abandon in a pinch----compare Trump's positions when he was a liberal democrat and as a candidate) and so I could not vote for a reflexive liar and enabler of a sex offender husband like Hillary or a sexually immoral narcissistic braggart like Trump. Maybe in a couple of years somebody decent will run but I am not counting on it.

I am really looking forward to seeing the pathological liar Trump coming to my home state to campaign for Lyin' Ted, whose wife is a dog and whose dad was knee deep in the Dealey Plaza shenanigans.

e.e.cummings wrote in "I sing of Olaf" that there was some zhit he would not eat. Not these two.