Kavanaugh's SC Confirmation Hearings

Discussion in 'West Mall' started by Clean, Sep 6, 2018.

1. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

• Like Like x 1
  2. Mr. Deez

Mr. Deez Beer Prophet

I agree. Kavanaugh is being demonized as a hardcore conservative. He's not. He's sightly to the Right of the guy he's replacing. There were bigger conservatives on that list. He could also do a reverse RBG and appoint a blatant career conservative activist like Jay Sekulow.

3. ProdigalHorn

ProdigalHorn 10,000+ Posts

It'll be Amy Barrett (forgot her last name). Only question is can they do it by midterm? It would be tough but it's possible if they move now.

Having said that, I hate giving ground on this. This was a garbage move even by Dem standards, and this is basically giving credence to the tactic. I predict they'll have the haring today, and if they can get Jeff Flake to stop posturing and hand-wringing, they'll move forward.

4. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

Sen. John Cornyn, who usually stays out of media fights came forward on this one --

“The problem is, Dr. Ford can’t remember when it was, where it was, or how it came to be. There are some gaps there that need to be filled.”

• Like Like x 1
  5. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

6. Mr. Deez

Mr. Deez Beer Prophet

That's who the pick should have been. She would have been an A+. Kavanaugh is a solid B but no better.

They don't have a choice. Flake flaked, and their majority is tiny through unforced errors.

• Like Like x 2
  7. Horn6721

Horn6721 10,000+ Posts

What is disgusting and frustrating is everyone can see this for what it is and still there doesn't seem to be anyway to stop it.
    So the vile accuser refuses to appear before the Senate committee and therefore even idiots like Flake would vote against him.

• Like Like x 1
    Last edited: Sep 18, 2018
  8. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

This woman makes for an interesting contrast with Juanita Broaddrick who could recall the exact day, the exact time and the exact place that Bill Clinton raped her. She also told two friends the day it happened after they found her bruised and bloodied.
    If the standard is "credible accusation" then Broaddrick was it.

9. mchammer

mchammer 10,000+ Posts

That’s a lot of taint in one sentence.

• Like Like x 1
  10. bystander

bystander 10,000+ Posts

11. Mr. Deez

Mr. Deez Beer Prophet

Because nobody has a right to be confirmed or have a hearing. However, somebody does have a right not to be slandered. If somebody had pulled out a 30 year old BS allegation against Garland to keep him from being confirmed, that would have been cheating him.

What Democrat on the Judiciary Committee would approach things differently had Garland been previously confirmed? Not one. Unlike the GOP members on the Committee, the Democrats are all partisan liberals who virtually never break with their leadership. They weren't going to vote for any Trump nominee for the Supreme Court.

• Like Like x 1
  12. bystander

bystander 10,000+ Posts

@Mr. Deez

I guess it comes back to what advise and consent really means then.

Somehow Trump got Gorsuch through... no sex accusations but was that before #metoo was born?

13. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

Here is what Chuck Grassley said on the radio today --

"We have reached out to her in the last 36 hours, three or four times, by email, and we have not heard from them. So it kind of raises the question, do they want to come to the public hearing or not?"

14. mchammer

mchammer 10,000+ Posts

I’m coming around to thinking she is a nutter, which would explain why Feinstein sat on it. It would explain all.

15. Garmel

Garmel 5,000+ Posts

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 8
  16. militaryhorn

militaryhorn Prediction Contest Manager

Oh to be 3 or 4 years old again, we could get away with molesting hot women and it would be considered cute.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

The woman also has some not-very-surprising ties to George Soros. For starers, there is somewhat new Soros front group called "Demand Justice" that has put $5 million in an effort to stop Kavanaugh’s confirmation. On top of that, the woman's attorney, Debra Katz, is the vice chair of another Soros' group called "Project on Government Oversight." Katz herself is well-known as a large donor to such causes as Obama, Hillary and other leftists.

It's not very difficult to see through this. Hopefully the wobbly Republicans will come to their senses.

18. Horn6721

Horn6721 10,000+ Posts

I think Collins has.She was.angry at the crap Sent to her and the threats. Today she said she is puzzled by the accuser refusing to agree to be heard
    Not sure about the Alaska woman.
    Flake will likely pull a McCain vote, a spite vote

19. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

20. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

The sound of her voice does not inspire much confidence. Not now. Not ever. It's permanently stuck in 13-year-old boy mode.

21. bystander

bystander 10,000+ Posts

The warbling is similar to their initial reactions to Trump. They are terrified of losing the next election and in situations such as this, the correct answer is not obvious to them. Are they supposed to treat every accusation thoughtfully and compassionately or are they supposed to ignore it and forge ahead. They are just hoping something will happen to reveal the light.

I think the woman won't testify and her attorney said she received some threats and also did not want to subject herself to attacks by the Republicans. So they will hide behind that while the Dems declare Kavanaugh to be guilty.

22. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  23. mchammer

mchammer 10,000+ Posts

Or the woman may have doubts herself now that she may have to testify. The way this came about was indicative of someone not very confident of her story. In other words, all to avoid being cross examined. Maybe she hoped Kavanaugh would admit it, thus confirming her memory. When he didn’t, she may not have the confidence to testify with any certainty.

• Like Like x 1
  24. theiioftx

theiioftx Sponsor Deputy

I bet it was worth it.

• Like Like x 2
  25. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

(a) the Dems dont care
    (b) Estrada would have been a great one

[​IMG]

26. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

Is Feinstein searching for a way to walk back what she's already done with Ford?
    As of this moment in time, it looks like a poorly calculated gambit on her part. Dirty deeds done dirt cheap.

Says Ford "is a woman that has been, I think, profoundly impacted, on this... I can't say that everything is truthful. I don't know."

Last edited: Sep 18, 2018
  27. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

And then ..... when Feinstein was asked "Why?" -- aka, exactly the question anyone with a functioning brain should expect, she had to run behind closed to doors to be told how to answer the question, then came back out with her answer.

What a joke
    [​IMG]

28. mchammer

mchammer 10,000+ Posts

The alternate theory is that the woman is too busy arranging security for her family after getting threats. I obviously don’t condone the threats (likely empty) but you have to wonder why she put her family’s security in the hands of Washington Dems by trusting them with her confidential letter. I guess she thought Benghazi was a conspiracy theory.

29. iatrogenic

iatrogenic 2,500+ Posts

Too bad she won’t show. That would have been hilarious.

30. 4th_floor

4th_floor Dude, where's my laptop?

Worth it.

• Like Like x 1