Kids......

Discussion in 'Quackenbush's' started by Mrs.Macanudo, Feb 13, 2008.

1. Mrs.Macanudo

Mrs.Macanudo 25+ Posts

When I was growing up, we visited my grandparents and relatives pretty much every year. We would see my Mom's parents almost every Christmas (they came to Tx) and every other summer. We saw my Dad's parents at least every other summer.
    Each time, when we parted, both my Mom's Dad and my Dad's Mom cried. Everytime. When I was still pretty young, I asked my Mom why my grandparents were so sad when they knew that we would see them next year. I would give hugs and roll my eyes. My Mom would smile at me, nod her head to say, hug them again, and then she would roll her eyes too.
    Mac and I have the only grandkids in both our families. When my parents visit, and then leave (this is much more frequent than I saw my grandparents) they both start balling. I mean....have to leave the room before the girls see them sobbing…balling, especially my Dad.
    My Mom just sort of smiles....and rolls her eyes. She whispered only once that she now knows why my grandparents were so upset....it all just goes by too fast. Especially when you have to move far away from "home" and you can't see the ones you love every day.
    I don't think grandparents love grandkids any more than they love their own children. I just think that in many cases, you get so focused on keeping your kids "in line" that you get tunnel vision.... You focus on one thing and work toward that goal....raise a decent person and keep them alive until they leave your house for good. Too often, it isn't until your kids are grown that you look back and think where did all the time go? So grandparents laugh when they watch you chase your bare butt 2 year old while she runs around the house carrying her poopy diaper. They buy all the toys that make the most noise or the books with the most "peek-a-boo windows" to open and the most difficult rhymes to tongue-tie you at story time. . It’s not to aggravate you or to get even….it’s because those are the wonderful memories and the moments you leave this world with.
    I am nowhere near the best mom. I get frustrated and raise my voice. I don’t have much patience and I remind myself everyday that 100 years from now, no one will care if my knickknacks are dusty or if my kitchen table is overrun with Lego’s.
    I don’t want to look forward to the day I can spoil my grandkids rotten and let them eat ice-cream 2 minutes before bedtime. I want to remember to look forward to the kiss I get from my girls at the end of the day before they close their eyes and fall asleep. I do look forward to that…every day. When I close my eyes for the night, I want to know that my kids are certain that their Mommy and Daddy love them more than anything in the world, no matter what.
    If one day, I am blessed with grandkids….I want them to know I love them more than anything in the world, no matter what…..and that I will let them eat ice-cream 2 minutes before they go to bed.

2. Smurfette

Smurfette 500+ Posts

Mrs. Mac.... you been drinking???

ha ha ha!! [​IMG]

3. DieUCLA98

DieUCLA98 500+ Posts

Just wanted to ask before I started to read... Are any of your posts less than 1000 words? [​IMG]

4. Macanudo

Macanudo 2,500+ Posts

5. netslave

netslave 1,000+ Posts

Kids are the awesome.

6. libertytxn

libertytxn 100+ Posts

Well said Mrs. Mac. Thx.

7. ajax

ajax 100+ Posts

I don't know how people can live in a different city from their grown kids. I really don't. Maybe I'll feel differently when my own kids are grown, but right now when I go on a business trip for even just a couple of days, it's very difficult.

8. origino

origino 250+ Posts

My boy and wife are in Brazil right now visiting the inlaws. They are spoiling him BIG time. He is 14 months old, and loves the water. So my father in law bought him a small pool and he was in it all morning..even ate his lunch while in the pool. Wow, he is gettin spoiled. Thats the point I guess.

9. Napoleon

Napoleon 2,500+ Posts

10. EuroHorn

EuroHorn 2,500+ Posts

I am thinking paragraphs here.

11. Mrs.Macanudo

Mrs.Macanudo 25+ Posts

Man you guys are rough....

[​IMG]

(5 words.....)

12. Captain Murphy

Captain Murphy 250+ Posts

Mrs. Macunado,
    I enjoyed your post. I have many of the same thoughts. A hundred years from now, who will care about this stain on the carpet or bedspread? Life is like a whirlwind right now.

To quote from one of my favorite movies:

"[These] are the precious moments ... They don't come back again."
    Dell Griffith

13. MaduroUTMB

MaduroUTMB 2,500+ Posts

14. Texas007

Texas007 1,000+ Posts

I don't mind reading her posts because while long she always has "something" to say. I appreciate that and look forward to he insight on most things. Mrs Mac please continue to grace us with your wisdom, and I am being sincere so please ignore my sig on this instance.