Kirk Bohl's makeover

Discussion in 'On The Field' started by UTEX69, Jan 18, 2008.

1. UTEX69

UTEX69 250+ Posts

Is this the UT hater, or an imposter?
    The Link

2. Austintxusa

Austintxusa 2,500+ Posts

After that very unfunny Billy Blowhard column yesterday, I have finally had enough of Kirk. I canceled my AAS subscription.

3. Mr.Wizard

Mr.Wizard 1,000+ Posts

You really canceled your subscription?

Comedy.

You can read online for free, why a subscription in the first place.

Oh yeah, he did not vote for VY, ha ha ha.

4. TheFied

TheFied 2,500+ Posts

I am a Bohls defender I guess. I think that had the vote happened after the Rose Bowl (which it should) Bohls and many others would have voted VY first in the Heisman. Bitching about him putting us tied with BC or behind BC, come on guys we had 2 horrid losses (KSU at home and at A&M). We had a great game vs. ASU but it isn't like we were consistent top 10 team.

I have met Bohls a few times (talked to him at length the night before the Nebraska game in 2006) and he's a good guy too.

5. RyanUTAustin

RyanUTAustin 1,000+ Posts

Great article.

Really exactly what I was thinking...hence the "are we the best coaching staff in the country" thread.

6. UTeed

UTeed 100+ Posts

You canceled your subscription because of sports? I can think of a lot of other reasons to cancel the Statesman other than sports but that is another matter.
    Rag on Bohls for what ever you want but to say he is not a fan of the program is simply not true.

7. LagoHorn

LagoHorn 250+ Posts

8. whereiend

whereiend 100+ Posts

lol. Bohls is not a UT cheerleader. He gives credit when deserved and criticism when deserved.. why is that hard to understand?

9. DAGMAR

DAGMAR 250+ Posts

I would find it hard to vote a guy for Heisman who is arguably the second best running back on his own team

10. LagoHorn

LagoHorn 250+ Posts

11. LikeMike

LikeMike 500+ Posts

Bohl's may be the best writer who focuses on UT day in and day out.

Many on this board simply cannot accept any negative remarks about their loved ones.

12. KC-97HORN

KC-97HORN 500+ Posts

LikeMike,

what we all detest is the fact that Bohl's does his "best" to not be seen as a "Texas Homer". The problem with that is he goes so ******* overboard to not be seen as a homer, he ******* penalizes Texas all the time.

We have one of the very, very few AP writers in the entire country who does his ******* damdest to NOT vote the local team higher - if hes on the fense he ALWAYS picks the lower rank.

And yes, the AP vote doesnt count for the BCS anymore, but even when it did, he did the same damn thing everytime. ******* moron voted FOR CAL in 2004 (when it mattered) and we raised such a stink countrywide, we pissed off the AP voters and made them pull out of the BCS.

13. Austintxusa

Austintxusa 2,500+ Posts

Yes, I canceled my subscription. One I've had since 1994.

I know it is online and free but I subscribed because I wanted to spend my money to support the local paper and I like to read about local H.S. sports. However, my problem with Kirk is simply that I do not think that he is a good columnist. I have met him and he is a nice guy but that doesn't qualify him in my opinion as a good columnist.

It is the same reason that I check the Horn Fan sponsor list and try to shop, when applicable, with those that support this site.

It is my money and my opinion. If some find that funny, then I'm glad you got a chuckle.

14. MilkmanDan

MilkmanDan 1,000+ Posts

15. geezerhorn

geezerhorn 1,000+ Posts

In my opinion Bohls is a professional peckerwood.

If he is a "nice guy" personally, then his insistance on verbally kicking the Longhorn fanbase who pay his salary (albiet indirectly) in the the package on a regular basis, just reinforces my opinion of him.

Again, in my opinion, the vote for reggie was just the crowning achievement of someone bent on showing his readers what a "independent thinker" he sees himself as. If you can't overcome your own ego, on the one important chance you have to show some measure of loyalty to the people who justify your employment (especially given the local hero was at the very least a reasonable alternative choice), then you sir are a PECKERWOOD!

16. Booya

Booya 25+ Posts

The "sense of humor" that he tries to convey in his articles makes me want to scratch my eyes out.

17. FattyMac

FattyMac 100+ Posts

His writing style gets on my last nerve. I cringe every time I read one of his silly, tongue in cheek analogies. To me, Suzanne H. is a much better read and her writing style is much easier to digest.

To each their own.

18. eflow24

eflow24 1,000+ Posts

19. Third Coast

Third Coast 10,000+ Posts

Bohls might be quicker to give criticism than credit, but he does occasionally have positive things to say about UT.

20. Uncle Rico

Uncle Rico 1,000+ Posts

i agree with those who thinks that he is quicker to be critical than praise. his job is to sell papers and if he sucked off texas every single time it would be stupid. he's probably a huge UT fan but sometimes you have to call it like you see it and some people around here have a VERY hard time doing that.

21. LagoHorn

LagoHorn 250+ Posts

Your call is that Reggie Bush had a better season that Vince in 2005?

22. Bevo04

Bevo04 100+ Posts

23. dukesteer

dukesteer 5,000+ Posts

In my opinion -- as a Longhorn transplant living in the land of Trojans and Bruins -- Kirk Bohls is the best team beat writer I have ever read. And, I've read plenty over the past 50+ years.

He sugarcoats nothing, and says what needs to be said. Frankly, one has to wonder if his critical columns last fall may have contributed to the recent coaching changes that we are all applauding.

I'll bet they did.

24. Booya

Booya 25+ Posts

I think you may be overestimating his importance.

25. Austintxusa

Austintxusa 2,500+ Posts

26. mop

mop 2,500+ Posts

the guy tries way too hard to be "objective".....Vince Young is just another example of him trying too hard. clearly either Bush or Young could have been argued for before the MNC game, but why does Kirk ALWAYS have to go against Texas when it is close? any one of us could have guessed that he would pick reggie bush instead of the hometown hero....and THAT is just as bad as always being the homer and knowing with certainty that he was going to pick Vince. if picking Bush was a bit of a surprise, then fine, but it wasn't....it was vintage, standard Kirk Bohls.

27. TexasTower

TexasTower 500+ Posts

I hate Bohl's not because he didn't vote for VY and he didn't vote us ahead of BC.

I don't like him because he is not very knowledgeable about sports and he is a hack.

28. PFD

PFD 1,000+ Posts

29. UTeed

UTeed 100+ Posts

30. Third Coast

Third Coast 10,000+ Posts