Knight Commission and the break up of the NCAA and Tier 1 FBS

Discussion in 'On The Field' started by LonghornDave, Dec 3, 2020.

1. LonghornDave

LonghornDave 1,000+ Posts

2. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

What did they do, plagiarize the "Royal-Broyles Report" of 50 years ago?

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  3. LonghornDave

LonghornDave 1,000+ Posts

Sabre
    When you say things that funny right off the bat I think you are trying to get my posts exiled to Ester's Follies.....

4. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

Coach Broyles and Coach Royal formed the CFA in the early 70s (date ??) to have the major programs withdraw from the NCAA and manage themselves. Coach Royal was criticized for saying that schools like Fordham & Villanova (not sure the ones he referenced) had no business voting on restrictions for the big boys. CFA laid around and eventually became a coaches' organization run by Grant Teaff. Fifty years later, there needs to be a withdrawal from the NCAA by the majors.

If you have never had the NCAA come to your office, you are missing one of life's great pleasures. They have no subpoena power, hire private investigation firms (not very good ones) to come see you, expect you to give them confidential information because they are such good people. Take what small brain matter they have, play with it like it's silly putty, and throw it back at them (as opposed to shoving it up their *** to their head).

Did SMU deserve the death penalty? Definitely, but look up who was one the panel that voted for that penalty. SMU spent more on one recruit than those schools spent on their entire football program.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. Chinstrap

Chinstrap 1,000+ Posts

My foggy memory says that one big issue with SMU was a continuance of payments to a player AFTER they got probation. In Collieville Captain Jack and the boys got caught doing the exact same thing. He went away and said it will all be in his book some day. But no death penalty. (And then there were repeated OU probations.)
    Fair justice?
    I remember the Aggie game right after “a ‘n m”was exposed for the continued payments and Captain Jack was kicked to the curb. Someone in the upper deck floated a homemade parachute over the field with play money falling out of it. Classic.
    Did the aggies deserve to go down?

6. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

Not based on the NCAA investigations. Reality? perhaps; cluster that is the NCAA, not even close.

The power Aggies were scared to death. Hell, they "kidnapped" the school president to keep him from meeting with the NCAA.

A major part of the investigation & punishment revolved around QB Murray, who was paid to clean printing presses at Heritage Publishing owned by Rod Dockery, Ag Class of 66. The investigators visited Heritage's office on Director's Row in Dallas several times. It was a typical big concrete box, with offices across the from, back 80% was warehouse. Rod's office was at the far end from the entrance, and you had to pass 5-6 doors into the warehouse to get to his office. The NCAA never once open a door to peek into the warehouse. If they had, they would have discovered that Heritage didn't own any printing presses. They contracted all the printing out. Yet, the NCAA interviewed employees and grilled Dockery. They punished him for paying Murray for work never performed, yet never knew he didn't have any presses to clean. Typical sloppy NCAA work, but Jackie was fired and Rod banned from Aggie athletics.

I've always found it interesting that the same people that brought Jackie to Brazos County were the same ones that ran him off.

7. Chinstrap

Chinstrap 1,000+ Posts

I always thought Bum had a lot of skin in that little scandal.

8. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

He did, why do you think they sacrificed Dockery?

• Winner Winner x 1