Kristen Nash = No Playing Time??

Discussion in 'Women’s Basketball' started by UTalltheway, Jan 10, 2008.

1. UTalltheway

UTalltheway < 25 Posts

Being a HUGE UT women's basketball fan and a UT alumnus, I've attended every home game and have made an effort to watch every away game and it seems like Gail has something against this girl.

I really think that she could have helped out against Nebraska, when it seemed like no one wanted to/could rebound or score.

I'm not going to post stats here but in the 10 games she has played in she has done pretty good compared to other girls who are getting more playing time.

What gives?

2. Rexy

Rexy 1,000+ Posts

I'm not sure - she seems like a real scrapper and a good rebounder and yes, we could have used some rebounds tonight. She does tend to foul though so maybe that was a consideration. Neb shot 10 more FT than we did. Or perhaps it was a matchup issue. I don't believe that Coach has anything against her, but then what do I know! [​IMG]

3. BabHorn

BabHorn 10,000+ Posts

Kristen's actually has the best FG% on the team. But she doesn't look for her shot as do the others. She is more likely to make the extra pass than to take an open shot. She does scrap hard for rebounds. Only Kat's 7.0 rpg is better than Kristen's 3.2 rpg among the reserves. Her fouling seems to be a lot but she only averages 1.4 fouls per game, pretty much in line with the others. Projected for 20 minutes a game, that's only 2.5 fouls per game. She is the only player that has been available for all the games that has not played in all games. Sure is a puzzle to me as to why she's not playing more. I wish she had gotten a chance tonight.

Did Niqky play tonight? I don't recall hearing her name on the broadcast. Maybe I missed it.

4. Rexy

Rexy 1,000+ Posts

Stats show Niqky played 2 mins

5. UTalltheway

UTalltheway < 25 Posts

according to the boxscore niqky played 2 min and had 1 rebound, 0 points

I'm just glad that i'm not the only one that sees something puzzling in Kristen Nash not getting to play.

6. DINO22

DINO22 1,000+ Posts

KEEP FIGHTING IN PRACTICE KRISTEN, THAT WAY THEY WANT HAVE A CHOICE BUT TO PLAY YOU. I LOVE YOUR EFFORT EVERY TIME YOU HIT THE FLOOR.KEEP THAT ENERGY GOING.HOPEFULLY IT WILL RUB OFF ON SOME OF THE OTHER PLAYERS

7. Hoopfan

Hoopfan < 25 Posts

Kristen - you have a fan club in the stands. Keep working hard in practice and know there is group of us cheering you on every time you get playing time!

8. 2222Horn

2222Horn 100+ Posts

There's a bit of the Coach K philosophy with Coach G. Remember that she dismissed Harding for an entire year at Duke. Got to perform in practice etc. to get playing time or perhaps it was an injury issue. Who knows but I bet Coach G had her reasons....

9. cynt

cynt 1,000+ Posts

And Coach G must have hit home with Harding because Harding returned and was outstanding. You didn't hear much about Harding prior to her returning. She came back on a mission and on fire.

10. txex86

txex86 100+ Posts

11. clearbrookhorn

clearbrookhorn 25+ Posts

12. Driftwood

Driftwood 250+ Posts

Let Gail Coach! #2 Stanford went in to Southern California and were defeated by both UCLA and USC. The team was flat and the shots didn't fall. The losses were stunning and the team dropped to 7th in the polls. Let's face it, sometimes you can't get the ball in the basket no matter what you do. 19 points in the first half is a testimony to that fact.

I suspect no one in Texas feels worse about the Nebraska game than our players and coaches. We are in transition, on the path to greatness. Please don't give up on the players or coaches at this point in time.

Hook 'em horns! [​IMG] [​IMG]

13. BabHorn

BabHorn 10,000+ Posts

14. BBV_Horn

BBV_Horn 1,000+ Posts

Ditto, BAB

I wish Kristen would get more playing time, too, how else is she going to get better??

Unless, there are still injury issues from last year??

Dunno...

[​IMG]

15. UTalltheway

UTalltheway < 25 Posts

16. clearbrookhorn

clearbrookhorn 25+ Posts

17. BabHorn

BabHorn 10,000+ Posts

Another thing we have heard from the players is that Coach G is not shy about telling them what they need to improve on to get more playing time. I don't know Kristen but having watched her rehab (back when we were allowed to attend practice) I seriously doubt that it's a lack of effort. Kristen strikes me as a very solid team player, willing to do what's best for the team as a whole to help built success. She doesn't always look the most graceful, but she is productive when she's in. I wuuld venture a guess that she will have more of an impact in practice than in the games.

She's one of my favorite players so I am always looking for her to get in the game and do well. In physical games like the Nebraska game, and practically every Big 12 game, she is another post player that will bring effort and enegry every time she's in. Which is why, with the lackadistic play I was hearing, I wondered why she didn't at least get a few minutes to see if she could make a difference.

Normally, that's not an issue but for some reason, it was against Nebraska. It doesn't get any easier in the post game as the Big 12 continues, so if that same type of play continues, I look for Kristen to get in.

And, just ot clarify, this is not a rant against the staff, but rather a discussion about my perspective as to why one player I admire didn't get in a game where she could have brought a spark. Maybe her foot injuries still limit her time. The staff and players know, we can only guess. And we do a very good job of that. [​IMG]

Hookem,Horns. It's time to protect the home court Sunday. [​IMG]

18. TXtoCO

TXtoCO 1,000+ Posts

19. BabHorn

BabHorn 10,000+ Posts

Ahh, but that's one of the perks of being a fan, being able to overthink things.

20. UTalltheway

UTalltheway < 25 Posts

21. texfiter

texfiter 100+ Posts

i don't question coach g at all ... and i will continue to be an ardent supporter of this team ... it was great to see them in person in san diego ... and leave with such great optimism only to be disappointed ... what i like about coach g is that she doesn't make excuses for poor performance ... like coach barnes, she calls it as she sees it ... if kristen isn't playing, i'm assuming it's about what coach g sees in practice ... if a player could contribute to a victory, why wouldn't coach g put her in ... what would be her modus operandi, except that the player hasn't consistently demonstrated the ability to be counted on when it matters most ...

22. LTCDTJ

LTCDTJ < 25 Posts

I would let the coaches do their job "LTCDTJ". We have put together the best coaching staff in the "Big 12" with incredible resumes to win! I would be careful to call out individual names on this board. In addition, you cannot compare "stats" of some that play critical minutes in key contests vs. others that may play minutes at the end of the game when the game is well at hand and usually agaisn't reserves - Let's let coaches do their job!

23. UT Horn Fan

UT Horn Fan 500+ Posts

Who do you think you are??? There will be no questioning of decisions made by this coaching staff! They can walk on water. They can leap tall buildings in a single bound. There will NEVER be a mistake made by this staff. Basically, if you don't agree with a move made by GG or her staff -- you're a terrible person/fan/longhorn and you should get the hell out!

BTW, Kristin should have played last night and should have been getting more minutes all along.

Uh oh, does that mean I'm going to hell?

24. texfiter

texfiter 100+ Posts

Think it's always fair to ask a question without being villified for doing so. In this case, I simply have to assume that Coach G has her team's interests and UT's best interests at heart. What would be her MO to do otherwise? Coaches are well known for overlooking all sorts of personal deficiencies in the temperament of players IF those players can help the team win. I believe that if a player SHOULD be receiving more playing time based on her ability to help the team win, she'd be getting it.

25. ama-horn

ama-horn < 25 Posts

[​IMG] [​IMG] DID SHE USE HER RED SHIRT LAST YEAR.
    I FEEL IN A BLOW--OUT GAME ALL PLAYERS SHOULD GET TIME. THIS HAS NOT HAPPENED.

I WOULD THINK SOME ONE CLOSE TO THE PROGRAM WOULD KNOW AND LET US KNOW. I FEEL SHE IS AS GOOD AS HER SISTER AND SHE SHOULD BE PLAYING. THERE WAS
    SOME GAMES WHERE IT LOOKED LIKE NO ONE WAS PLAYING AND SOMEONE OFF THE BENCH MIGHT HELP.
    I'M NO COACH. JMHP V

I LOVE THE COACHING STAFF
    [​IMG]

26. TheTresLeches

TheTresLeches 250+ Posts

Kristen played Saturday and got a basket.

27. BBV_Horn

BBV_Horn 1,000+ Posts

'Bout time she got in....[​IMG]

Remember when we all used to chant for Conradt to put in Jody Bell??

OK, next game, let's all start chanting "Kris-ten, Kris-ten, Kris-ten"...

Yeah, that'll work!!

At least Coach G will know how we feel about her not getting playing time!!

[​IMG]

28. Hornsaway

Hornsaway 25+ Posts

I truly doubt Coach G cares how you feel about who she plays or doesn't play. We now have a coach that will make the right decisions and do what is best for the team. We are now in good hands.

29. True2Horns

True2Horns 250+ Posts

"Hornsaway"...Hmmmm...could it be?????

30. BabHorn

BabHorn 10,000+ Posts

At least Kristen will know that we fans enjoy watching her play,no matter how many or how few minutes she gets. [​IMG]