Kwiatcollapseski

Discussion in 'On The Field' started by OrangeShogun, Oct 2, 2021.

1. OrangeShogun

OrangeShogun 500+ Posts

What grade has the DC earned thus far? I give him a C-. Color me unimpressed with both his schemes and how his players are executing said schemes. The 3 man front has got to go. Personnel decisions, questionable. Get a stop and seal the win vs. TCU, instead gives up a 99 yard, yes I said 99 yard TD drive. The only reason he gets a passing grade is because, well, 4-1.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  2. Chop

Chop 10,000+ Posts

It’s not even half way through year one. But…

So far: equal to Ash, not as good as Robinson, obviously not as good as Fuller or Campbell, much better than most of our other DCs—MUCH better…

• Agree Agree x 6
  3. ProdigalHorn

ProdigalHorn 10,000+ Posts

I think a lot of people are in love with guys like Fuller because they played in a different era against different styles. In his day, Fuller was great. When he coached here with McWilliams, I was less than impressed. Sometimes it's about the players you have, and sometimes it's about playing teams with less complex offenses.

Kwaitkowski is going to be hard to watch at least this year because he's trying to play complementary football. He doesn't want to give up big plays, bottling teams up and making them execute, keeping scores in the 20's because he knows Texas will live in the 30's. Getting better play from the d-line will make him look a lot better, and I think some of the younger guys that are making plays may start getting more and more time as the year goes on.

• Agree Agree x 8
    • Like Like x 7
    • Winner Winner x 3
    • Hot Hot x 1
  4. Horn6721

Horn6721 10,000+ Posts

Prod
    I think that is a great point about the younger guys.Do you think the talent is there with the younger players?

5. Chop

Chop 10,000+ Posts

True Freshman Byron Murphy (the 2nd)—showed some talent today.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  6. HalRex

HalRex 1,000+ Posts

Agree that 99 yard drive was tough to swallow. However, weren’t we doing a pretty good job on them in the second half up until then?

• Agree Agree x 5
  7. aUTfan

aUTfan 2,500+ Posts

I would agree with a C-, however, its essentially the same kids as last year, how do you expect him to do any better than the other guy using the same kids if they both pretty much maximized their personnel? I'm disappointed in the defense, I just don't think they have the horses and it doesn't matter who the defensive coordinator is, he just has to coach them to tackle and not give up, keep fighting.

I'm concerned more about evaluating going forward, everyone wants those 5 stars, and thats great, but Coburn was a high 4 star right? and he hasn't really done much. I had higher expectations for him when he came in (obviously this on the previous staff). One good defensive tackle can change the game. i'm cautiously optimistic about the 2022 class cause there have been many highly rated defensive guys committed, where it seemed we had to reach for a defensive line player, it doesn't look like this staff is reaching.

I am sick of teams running up and down the field on us. i want a better defense, asap.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. Chop

Chop 10,000+ Posts

Think of Ash. The chorus on this website was “Ash sucks, Ash sucks, Ash sucks…”. Then by late last year, it was “Say, Ash is actually pretty good…”

It’s too early to tell, but I think PK will be good. He did very well at Washington.

• Agree Agree x 7
    • Like Like x 1
  9. jmac11234

jmac11234 100+ Posts

Well his defenses are getting some critical turnovers. That's a nice change. That corner blitz that got their QB in the 3rd and forced a fumble was a thing of beauty.

• Like Like x 6
    • Agree Agree x 5
    • Winner Winner x 2
  10. Txreds

Txreds 250+ Posts

I think if we just teach our db’s that it’s ok to cover within 10 yards of wide receivers we might actually stop someone.

Coverage has been awful.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  11. mchammer

mchammer 10,000+ Posts

If I was DC, I would be pissed at the OC for not putting 4 free points on the board.

• Like Like x 1
    • Hot Hot x 1
  12. nashhorn

nashhorn 5,000+ Posts

Ha, so pissed you let them march 99 yards to score? Sorry, that just hit me when I read your post.

• Like Like x 1
  13. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

Get used to the three man front, more specifically the 3-2-6 IF K can find two LBs. I don't think there's a single LB on the roster that could have started for Leon or Coach Campbell or even Bobby Jack. Cook has the possibility to be a Rod Choate type LB, but he has to be taught.

If no LB steps up, I'm in favor of a 3-8 or 4-7.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Hot Hot x 1
    Last edited: Oct 2, 2021
  14. zuckercanyon

zuckercanyon 2,500+ Posts

Everyone's going to love this reference but when Brockemeyer and Bush are your starters you are not a good defense. There are a few that are doing excellent work out there, though...

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. mchammer

mchammer 10,000+ Posts

Sure, you give the frogs all the momo in the world after that stop. 36-20 vs 32-20. Going for the end zone instead of kicks was a high reward, high risk maneuver when we already had the reward (win) with lower risk. This type of risk management is NOT in the binder that just uses percentages.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. nashhorn

nashhorn 5,000+ Posts

Don’t disagree mc, but honestly who thought we would be so inept as to allow that drive - honestly. I’m hoping we continue to be a work in progress that keeps developing every game. Lord knows we better.

• Agree Agree x 3
  17. ProdigalHorn

Maybe not Top 10 Defense good... but they are showing some flashes that make me think they ought to be playing more than older guys who seem to be occupying space and nothing else.

Murphy's definitely one of them. There was another one, but I can't remember who he was... I didn't see Collins out there at all today, did he play?? I need to go back and watch. But right now I'm all for letting the younger guys in who seem to be playing with a lot more hunger.

• Hot Hot x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  18. ViperHorn

ViperHorn 10,000+ Posts

He is a good coach. However, he is going through what all new defensive coaches in the Big XII go through. It is easy to observe the Big XII from a distance and think how easy it will be the play average defense and stop Big XII offenses.

Coach K is selling out to stop the pass, but is getting killed by runs up the middle. If you have an average RB all you have to do is send 4 outside and do a counter fake anD hand it off up the middle. He needs to call Greg Robinson.

• Like Like x 1
    • Hot Hot x 1
  19. Pomspoms

Pomspoms 5,000+ Posts

But you have to assume they were going to drive down the field for a 99 yard score when you are deciding! Why because that's what they need to do. I called that before they even ran the play. Go for the field goal have a 15-point lead and then they'll have to at least make one two point conversion that was the safest bet. But thankfully it worked out okay

• Agree Agree x 2
  20. dukesteer

dukesteer 5,000+ Posts

Like most, I haven’t been thrilled with the defensive performance. But Kwiatkowski has a reputation for a reason. Next Saturday will be a huge test. If he can hold the Gooners to 30 or under, regardless of how he does it, that will be an accomplishment.

Like others have said, it’s a work in progress. I’ll be focusing on the D-Line Saturday. Let’s see if they show up and can rattle Rattler.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  21. zuckercanyon

I think when you have a coach similar to Lincoln Riley (all offense) then you don’t seem to care about defense….

22. Pomspoms

Pomspoms 5,000+ Posts

I will admit i have been underwhelmed by Kwitowski's defense thus far. But we are 4-1 with a shut out so there is that.

23. Denmark

Denmark 500+ Posts

I listened to the game on the radio, and Brockemeyer was named about every third tackle? Must have been doing someting right.

• Agree Agree x 8
  24. zuckercanyon

I have a tendency to notice players named starters who appear to be the “plays all out to their ability” player but that ability or lack thereof seems to prevent them from making the tackle. “Coach on the field” etc. I’ll try to acknowledge they’re out there for a reason and leave them alone in the future. I’m not a coach nor have played one on tv.

25. Run Pincher

Run Pincher 2,500+ Posts

Apparently I did because I said 99 yard drive coming right here. That's what happens with a big momentum shift and the most energized their players and fans were the whole game. Take the pts., especially on the road, and you don't allow that momentum shift. And Texas is damn lucky Fatterson didn't use Evans more or the result may have been different.

• Agree Agree x 4
  26. ProdigalHorn

Maybe it's my Burnt Orange PTSD kicking in, but I can't watch a series like that without saying "Yeah, this is gonna cost us."

• Like Like x 1
  27. FWHORN

FWHORN 10,000+ Posts

I think there are kids on the field playing defense for Texas to the best of their ability and the best of their ability is just not elite, you coach em up and you hope that they make enough stops that you can win but you understand that's not the Georgia defense we are running out there every week. It is going to take some recruiting on the defensive line (next year we have 4-5 recruits just on DL) and real depth to take the next step and I think coach K sees that. I am not giving him a pass on this year but I am definitely grading on a curve. I would put him at B- with a nice note from the teacher that he shows promise and needs to keep developing and recruiting.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  28. ViperHorn

ViperHorn 10,000+ Posts

At least it appears everyone is playing to their ability consistently, the issue is one or two either not in the right place at the start of the play or going the wrong way once the play begins brings down the entire defense.

29. Sangre Naranjada

Sangre Naranjada 10,000+ Posts

You mean like Overshown and most others on TCU's 2nd series when they totally **** the bed on that 3rd down play?

30. ViperHorn

ViperHorn 10,000+ Posts

One example, but don't get me started on the 99yd drive.