Kyler Murray picked #9 in MLB Draft

Discussion in 'On The Field' started by SabreHorn, Jun 4, 2018.

1. Hideo Gump Jr.

Hideo Gump Jr. Summer Soldier and Sunshine Patriot

Never saw the Mick play (never went to an American League game prior to inter league play) apart from the occasional Curt Gowdy hosted game of the week on Saturday. As for Davis, he was in a Pads uni when I saw him in 1976 a shade past his prime. Ninety-eight percent of my exposure to national league baseball was second-handed through the eyes and voices of Gene Elston, Dizzy Dean and Lowel Passe. Dome trips were reserved for Stargell and Clemente.
    That being said, consensus sez it was Mantle (3.1 sec). It took Milt May 3.1 seconds to get out of the box.

• Like Like x 1
  2. KBBAKER

KBBAKER 500+ Posts

I live in Allen and witnessed every one of Kyler's high school games (all wins as a starter). As a UT alum and fan, I pray that he takes the money and plays baseball. If not, we're looking at another great OU team this fall.

• Like Like x 1
  3. LonghornCatholic

LonghornCatholic Deo Gratias

I'm probably the only one who wants him to play.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Hideo Gump Jr.

Hideo Gump Jr. Summer Soldier and Sunshine Patriot

He might shred us, he may not.
    But we’ve won OU games with people like Billy Sims, Adrian Peterson, Sam Bradford, Steve Owens, and the great Baker Mayfield on the opposing sidelines*. I have a hard time getting down in the dumps over any individual opposing player.

*Peterson had a bum ankle in 2005 and only rushed 3 times, but we had them anyway.

• Like Like x 5
  5. ViperHorn

ViperHorn 10,000+ Posts

Bomar received the same level of on the field hype, and we know how that ended, and Mayfield only had a 2-2 (would have been 1-3 but for a coaching brain fart) record against Texas. HS was a long time ago, and that high school has close to 5,000 students from which to pick 22 football starters. Yes, he didn' lose a game, but he had a lot of help.

• Like Like x 3
  6. KBBAKER

KBBAKER 500+ Posts

Size doesn't always translate into success. Plano West is the second largest HS in Texas. They went 0-10 last year. Coaching matters (in HS and college).

If Kyler does play this season, he will be the most electrifying and exciting player in college football.

Last edited: Jun 6, 2018
  7. Mr. Fiesta

Mr. Fiesta 1,000+ Posts

I had kids that went to Plano East (talk about underachieving in sports despite a huge student population), I saw Kyler play and he did well but hasn't really lived up to it in college. I think he should've taken the baseball offer and forgot about football. But I'm greedy and would want the money without the high impact profession of football.

8. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

You forgot the best of all - Joe Don Looney :hookem2:

• Like Like x 4
  9. Mr. Fiesta

Mr. Fiesta 1,000+ Posts

What a guy...

• Like Like x 1
  10. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

My vote for the best OU RB, not to mention punter. People forget that he came to Texas on a track scholarship, lived in Moore Hill, and then transferred to Norman, much to the delight of the 19th Street Toddle House.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Mesohorny

Mesohorny 1,000+ Posts

K Murray played it right. QB for a year - why not? - then head to the A's for big money and a possible future in big league ball.

12. WorsterMan

WorsterMan SEC here we come!!

Living in McKinney I saw plenty of KM highlights while he lead Allen to 2 State championships. I respect his skills and have normal concerns, not fears about the Horns facing him in the future.

However, as QB at ou he is not going to be performing in mop up time when ou has a lead, the D is down and gassed late in the game. He is good. His skills are largely centered around leadership, making good decisions, moving the O and running the ball. He is an ok passer IMO, not great but he gets it done.

He still has to demonstrate he can take the keys and be The Man week in and week out. This is D1 ball. He will have to face formable Big XII D's like ours that are prepared and schemed well to attack, confuse and hopefully frustrate him.

I think if he wants money and a pro sports future he will choose MLB. If he wants glory for himself and Dad he will stick to college football. He may manage to do both. He has no real future in the NFL... IMHO.

We will see...

• Like Like x 1
    Last edited: Jun 6, 2018
  13. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

Worster,

I totally agree with your post, but signing a contract with MLB now will mean $4-6 million, while signing and then playing for OU will likely put a major dent in that amount. Re-entering the draft next year, removes his current leverage.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Horn2RunAgain

Horn2RunAgain 2,500+ Posts

This will be another bust of a top pick for Oakland. Michael Choice was a head scratcher, so is this one. I have nothing against the guy, he just hasn't done anything to warrant a top ten pick

• Like Like x 1
  15. LonghornCatholic

LonghornCatholic Deo Gratias

I heard he was moved from infield to outfield and still adjusting. Never seen him play baseball though, but I’m sure he has speed. Power?

16. OUBubba

OUBubba 5,000+ Posts

Here's the "word" from north. He's playing one year. The A's knew this when they picked him. He's doing what we'd all like to do, play major college football quarterback before moving on to your career.

I don't think he'll play another year. The baseball scouts rave about his potential and the growth they've seen in just the last year or so.

• Like Like x 2
  17. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

Bubba,

Agree. He may have more upside potential than anyone in the draft. You can't coachup speed - it's either there or it isn't. As I've said before, Willie Davis part two

18. OUBubba

OUBubba 5,000+ Posts

My "hope" is that he does awesome and buys out of one more year to chase the dream....I can hope. :)

19. WorsterMan

WorsterMan SEC here we come!!

Agree.

If he chooses ou football for 1 or more seasons his MLB signing bonus value will diminish. If he wants to be paid well and have a future in a pro sport, IMO he should forget football, sign with Oakland (or whoever drafted him), get the fat signing bonus and play baseball.

• Like Like x 1
  20. Mr. Fiesta

Mr. Fiesta 1,000+ Posts

Willie Mays Hays part two...

21. OUBubba

OUBubba 5,000+ Posts

I thought that's who he was last year. They mostly used him for pinch running. He started 16 games. He had a horrible batting average. I didn't see his baseball future I just thought he was doing it because he could. He blew up this year. I think the scouts are eager to see what he can do when he commits fully to baseball.

http://www.soonersports.com/ViewArticle.dbml?ATCLID=210821982&DB_OEM_ID=31000

• Like Like x 1
  22. horn_fan_cpa

horn_fan_cpa 100+ Posts

23. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

That frees up a football scholarship for OU, since the A's now have to pay for his time at OU, the same as the Dodgers had to pay for one of our great RBs. In fact, both Ricky & Cedric were paid for by MLB.

24. OUBubba

OUBubba 5,000+ Posts

Thought of you guys on this one. From a Sooner board:
    ----------------------
    I've been on a couple of A&M sites yesterday and today. They just can't help themselves as they still can't let go of the hard feelings when Kyler left the Aggies. I think there are a small number of Aggies who get it and don't blame him. But, most are pretty mad, still.

I think what gets them is that Kyler has been at OU now going into his 3rd year. Now a ruffled feather anywhere. They would really like for OU and Kyler to fail as it would make them feel good. To know that OU couldn't handle Kyler would make them feel so much better about themselves. I know a few of them pretty well and they have come a long way over the past two years. They have recognized that it wasn't just Kyler and his father. Some of them have concluded that it was the head man and OC that was the biggest issue.

Anyway, I get a kick out of their misery.

• Like Like x 1
  25. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

Bubba,

The Aggies I know are not on "internet boards", and fully understand that Sumlin lied to players and recruits, which turned both alums & players against him; thus they started passing the plate. It's one thing to finish 7-8 in the SEC West, but when you start losing QBs because they were lied to, even the Aggies in control cannot abide that. Then again, they hired the king of the liars.

The geeks running their boards keep it stirred up to deflect how miserable their onfield performance has been.

• Like Like x 2
  26. Austin_Bill

Austin_Bill 2,500+ Posts

Kyler is too short to be an effective QB, they are not going to be a great team next year, they will still be good and challenge for the Big 12 title, but no way are they going to be undefeated, more like a 3 or 4 loss team.

27. Detective Shilala

Detective Shilala 2,500+ Posts

This is the epitome of aggy for you. They can't be prime time, so rooting for the failures of better teams who can make it to prime time.

• Like Like x 4
  28. OUBubba

OUBubba 5,000+ Posts

He's the same size as Russell Wilson. Less than 2 inches different than Mayfield. A tad quicker. Like saying Stoney Clark is a tad bigger than James Allen.

29. X Misn Tx

X Misn Tx 2,500+ Posts

hey, i like this guy, as a guy. i'm not a yardstick, but i don't think he's the size or build of russell wilson.

30. OUBubba

OUBubba 5,000+ Posts

The MLB draft lists him as 5-11. I figure that's accurate. But, I don't know.