Kyler Murray ??

Discussion in 'In The Stands' started by stanhin, Feb 8, 2022.

1. stanhin

stanhin 5,000+ Posts

2. Horns11

Horns11 10,000+ Posts

He's a serviceable starter in the NFL. With the way the TV money is about to spike, I don't blame him for trying to get out in front of the extension negotiations. People look at how the Cardinals floundered on offense down the stretch, but it's not like he forgot how to play.

There's really only 1 position in the NFL that could pull off a stunt like this, and it's QB. Cowboys should have dumped Zeke when he attempted to do the same thing a few years ago, and now they're stuck with 5 more years of cap hit. For a position that's more meaningless by the day.

3. ViperHorn

ViperHorn 10,000+ Posts

Murray is a spoiled brat. Everything is ok until someone stands up to him and hits him in the mouth. That way at Allen; that way at ou.

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. X Misn Tx

X Misn Tx 2,500+ Posts

i don't understand the news of this, and why doing it says anything positive or negative...yet.

In a vacuum, this is just chaff or husk.

5. Vol Horn 4 Life

Vol Horn 4 Life Good Bye To All The Rest!

Yeah, I think little Ky Ky is posturing for something, but I don't know what other than attention. Surely he doesn't think he deserves more money.

6. Horns11

Horns11 10,000+ Posts

Uhh he's 21st among QBs for annual pay. He's worth more money.

7. stanhin

stanhin 5,000+ Posts

8. Horn2RunAgain

Horn2RunAgain 2,500+ Posts

• Agree Agree x 6
  9. Horns11

Horns11 10,000+ Posts

I can't find it now (been scrubbed by the Internet gods), but he has a Mahomes-style HS rant from some summer camp around his Jr./Sr. year in HS in which he was calling out the receivers for making him look bad. One kid goes off on him and says that while he's probably the most talented of the QBs at the camp, he's the worst teammate and leader. Not sure who made a YouTube claim to take it down.

Looks like the Mahomes one is missing too... hmmm.

They'll pay up. It's too hard to just "find" a QB. And even if the 2023 draft or beyond has some serviceable options, I doubt any are as gifted as Murray.

10. Handler

Handler 1,000+ Posts

Sam called it...

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  11. stanhin

stanhin 5,000+ Posts

12. Sydhank

Sydhank 100+ Posts

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  13. mb227

mb227 de Plorable

There are some teams that will settle for a less gifted but more complete package that actually wants to be a LEADER.

Quite frankly, I believe this is where the value of someone like Sam and Colt comes into play...they aren't the most talented of the pool, but they leave their heart on the field and generally won't manage the game into a hole. They fulfill the old Al Davis statement of "Just Win, Baby" and that isn't a bad thing. There are times where you KNOW the KC fans get upset with Mahomes because of his increasing ability to turn over the ball while trying to make a play...sure he is talented and is trying, but trying to do TOO much can HURT your team more than it helps...sometimes you just have to curl up and take the loss on the play.

14. Horns11

Horns11 10,000+ Posts

Well, there are 32 teams who want a complete package, but you take what you can get for a franchise QB. Guys like Ryan Fitzpatrick are always available, and they're always going to get you an 80-90 passer rating and throw a handful more TDs than picks. Since Colt has been on awful teams, his numbers don't quite get there, either. Well, and he's gonna be 36. Colt has 12 fewer wins than Murray does in 8 more seasons.

But Murray isn't Fitzpatrick (physically). He's a guy that gets 5 per carry in addition to the passing stats that other QBs get.

Not sure about your Mahomes take. I don't think anyone in KC is going to give up on 8 more years of his contract (which, in Kyler's agent's eyes, is worth 4.5x as much as his in 2022 for about 1.2x as much statistical production).

I don't think it's that Kyler doesn't want to be a leader. I think he wants to be a leader with a better OL and supporting cast and pay that's comparable to his production level. That's ****** on its own, but a not-unheard-of sports take. He might be a dick, but a guy with his level of play who kept his mouth shut and played out his rookie contract for pennies on the dollar would be seen as a hero.

15. mb227

mb227 de Plorable

Colt had the misfortune of being buried in Cleveland to start his career...saddled with a crappy line AND crappy coaching. It is ALSO disingenuous to assert win totals over a lengthier career when you KNOW he has been hired to be the competent backup for more than half of the career...

As to Mahomes, there is PLENTY of discussion about the shortcomings in the sportsbetting realm. I agree that KC is not likely to cut ties. But even the fanbase has acknowledged that the turnovers and near-turnovers spiked this year. Not quite a one-trick-pony being figured out, but not far off...

16. Horns11

Horns11 10,000+ Posts

My beef with the "he just wins" statement that has been thrown around on this board for years (particularly in regard to Applewhite, VY, Colt, and Sam) is that it's not true. He has the same number of NFL losses as Kyler too (same aforementioned time period that you say is disingenuous), and it's not like Kyler took over a playoff-bound franchise.

17. mb227

mb227 de Plorable

Kry-Kry at least played for a franchise that took constructive steps to build a team. Colt never got that in Cleveland.

I suspect we see more of Sam next year since it looks like Wentz is gone, especially given that Sam is apparently healthy, which was NOT the case at the start of this season.

18. Seattle Husker

Seattle Husker 10,000+ Posts

That's devastating as a leader. That's not the actions of a franchise QB. Murray has been very good at times, is great when you can't get your hands on him but wilts when he gets hit hard and has an atrocious track record of game management at the end of games. AZ has not choice but to woo him, pacify him and hope he matures into the QB he has the talent to become, and he likely thinks he already is.

19. Vino Bevo

Vino Bevo Wine - how classy people get drunk

upload_2022-2-17_7-8-44.jpeg

upload_2022-2-17_7-8-57.jpeg

• Winner Winner x 3
  20. Horns11

Horns11 10,000+ Posts

Well, now he's done it.

Kyler Murray's agent: Up to Cardinals to prioritize contract extension

This was an idiotic move, especially from an NFLPA viewpoint. The owners will go back to the CBA table when it's due again in 2030 and say "hey look at how your star QBs react with these rookie contracts... how about we shorten them?"

This all probably would have been moot if he waited a year to pout. I think daddy and his yes-men influencers have gotten too embedded in the mess and they thought that putting out a threat letter would be the way to endear him to... anyone? It's clearly not ownership. Or fans. Maybe it's just a ploy to get them to swap for Watson if his legal troubles clear.

I still think Murray is worth more than his deal, but he's going to be persona non grata in the owners' circles.

21. ViperHorn

ViperHorn 10,000+ Posts

I guess the next move will be playing the baseball card.

• Funny Funny x 1
  22. mb227

mb227 de Plorable

To which, at this point, the Cardinals should tell him 'enjoy the bus leagues.'

• Agree Agree x 3
  23. Horns11

Horns11 10,000+ Posts

Any deal he can swing in the A's organization would be worth like 1/10th what he could get by re-signing with the Cardinals next year.

I think it's more likely that he wants to go play somewhere else if they won't entertain his "offer." I count 8 teams that will probably need a starting QB for their arsenal, but my bet is that Houston will do a straight-up trade with a pick or two for Murray if Arizona feels that Watson isn't going to get any criminal charges.

24. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

Surely you jest. He will either have a chauffeur deliver him in a limo or Bentley.

• Funny Funny x 1
  25. mb227

mb227 de Plorable

I guess he can be just as broke as any other washout...because the club will quickly tell him they don't pay for that in Single or Double A...

26. ViperHorn

ViperHorn 10,000+ Posts

An NFL QB can collect quite a posse. 50/50 that the bonus money and a sizeable chunk of the pay are gone (probably to his dad).

• Agree Agree x 2
  27. moondog_LFZ

moondog_LFZ 5,000+ Posts

Colts should starts.