LA TECH GAME 12/02/20

Discussion in 'Women’s Basketball' started by brnkj, Dec 1, 2020.

1. brnkj

brnkj 2,500+ Posts

Once upon a time this was a storied and heated rivalry with no love lost between the two programs. So many outstanding players faced off in those matchups during the 80s and early 90s. I'm looking forward to improving our 3-8 record against the Lady Techsters. They're 2-0 with wins against McNeese and Grambling.
    :hookem2:

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. Bucksgal

Bucksgal 500+ Posts

I think if the team keeps their energy and aggressiveness up, we'll have a great game!

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  3. BALL IS LIFE

BALL IS LIFE 500+ Posts

This would have been a great game for the teams to wear old school jerseys (especially the Lady Techsters). I also loved the cream color Texas jerseys they wore last year against Stanford.

• Agree Agree x 5
  4. DFW_Horn

DFW_Horn 2,500+ Posts

The Lady Techsters with the collars and sleeves? Classic.Texas could finally notch a W against those jerseys.

• Like Like x 4
  5. flash34

flash34 1,000+ Posts

I’m still mad at em from the late 80’s when they knocked us out of the tourney several years. Payback tonight.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Funny Funny x 1
  6. brnkj

brnkj 2,500+ Posts

They knocked us out of the NCAA tournament in 83, 84, 87, 88, 90, and 93. The last four were on our home floor with the most significant being the 87 Final Four Semis, and 88 being the Region Finals when they went on to win the NC.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. DFW_Horn

DFW_Horn 2,500+ Posts

KA's team beat up on them 88-54 just over 3 years ago but I get what you're saying. Longhorns have a long way to go to even that record up.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  8. flash34

flash34 1,000+ Posts

Lots of young folks forget how dominating they were. I was an AAU coach with the Texas Shooting Stars organization in DFW when Leon Barmore was a guest speaker at organization meeting. He was treated like royalty....as a Hall of Fsme coach should be. He was impressive...... as La Tech was the cat’s meow back then. I wonder if he is still around?

• Like Like x 2
  9. cnb

cnb 5,000+ Posts

I'm betting Vic will drop a little history on his team.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. WCBBNUT

WCBBNUT 2,500+ Posts

He was helping KM in Waco a few years ago but not sure where he is now.

11. Jacob Johnson

Jacob Johnson 2,500+ Posts

Are those old school jerseys for LA Tech??

• Like Like x 1
  12. cnb

cnb 5,000+ Posts

Going to be a grind it out kind of game.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2020
  13. Jacob Johnson

Jacob Johnson 2,500+ Posts

Vic won't be very happy about that first half. I can guarantee we see the team we have seen the past few games in this second half.

14. BALL IS LIFE

BALL IS LIFE 500+ Posts

No sir. The old ones had collars

• Like Like x 2
  15. BALL IS LIFE

BALL IS LIFE 500+ Posts

Texas playing a little flatter on offense but LT learned a little from UNT. They playing a box and 1 on Charlie making her work a little harder compared to UNT which played man and never adjusted. Vic might be holding back and subbing more trying to preserve the girls for Sunday night.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. cnb

cnb 5,000+ Posts

I'm unavailable to view the game. Any idea if Kyra Lambert has played and any impact?

17. BALL IS LIFE

BALL IS LIFE 500+ Posts

Shes played about 10 minutes off the bench. Trying to shake the rust off. Not really had an impact. Probably gonna take a few games.

18. BALL IS LIFE

BALL IS LIFE 500+ Posts

IMO Audrey is the most improved player on the team so far.

• Agree Agree x 10
    • Like Like x 1
  19. DFW_Horn

DFW_Horn 2,500+ Posts

By far the best on the team when it comes to entry passes - gets them there quickly before the help defender can get over or as the post is moving so their primary defender isn’t set.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 1
  20. brnkj

brnkj 2,500+ Posts

The team was definitely not quite as sharp tonight. We looked a little tired actually, but still forced a lot of turnovers and manage a large margin of victory. Credit to La Tech, they were aggressive and used their athleticism to attack. They are well coached and very physical, especially on the boards. That should be a pretty good tune up for the Ags.
    We'll need to be sharper on Sunday, and especially have a better effort on the defensive boards. Looking forward to seeing us compete against a higher and more evenly matched level of competition.
    :hookem2:

• Like Like x 4
  21. WCBBNUT

WCBBNUT 2,500+ Posts

Out rebounded. :facepalm:

But I love that we went from a turnover victim last year to turnover culprit this year.

And Celeste leading the nation in steals. Way to go!

• Like Like x 5
    • Agree Agree x 2
  22. racerx5908

racerx5908 2,500+ Posts

Thoughts from the game:
    1. Wow, Audrey. You did everything tonight. Less flopping because you were scoring and tossing in good passes to Charli at the post!
    2. Who knew little Shay Holle could block and rebound that well? Errr, just don't shoot those 3's and practice on free throws, please.
    3. It seems every game Karisma starts and then about 4 minutes in, she displeases Vic and she gets subbed out
    4. Constant Harassment of LaTech when they inbounded and worked their way up the court. Wow, that really played havoc on their concentration. Very, very impressive coaching by Vic and staff
    5. Lambert was okay. I was wondering if her knees could take the frantic defensive chasing that Vic's defense requires. But she was there moving her hands trying to steal the ball
    6. What I love about this staff is the obvious and constant adjustments they make during the game. A lead is not blown by the team in the second half because the coaches are sitting happy while the other team adjusts
    7. Looks like we're not going to be the constant, dominant team when it comes to rebounding numbers because.....we're causing so many turnovers on the other side. What was it tonight? For LaTech something like 25 turnovers and 28 rebounds? Maybe more
    8. My fear of what happens when other teams target Charli trying to get her in foul trouble showed up today. Free Lauren Ebo! Free Lauren Ebo!
    9. At the end of the game, I looked over and Vic and the LaTech coach had met at center court and it was obvious that she had asked Vic something about the game and Vic was taking his time explaining some aspect of it. He had his rolled up sheet and was bobbing it up and down with his hand as he was talking. Maybe she asked how he attacked her offense or defense. It wasn't a "Good job, good luck" talk. They were talking for a good minute

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  23. Run Pincher

Run Pincher 2,500+ Posts

I thought Kyra looks more athletic than Karisma in the short time she played. We'll see how that plays out as the season goes along.

Audrey is maximizing her potential. She's really not that athletic, but she's really figured out how to maximize her strengths. She's kinda like the Brockingham of the women's team.

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 3
  24. DFW_Horn

DFW_Horn 2,500+ Posts

I can't remember if it was a media session or podcast interview but Vic mentioned he recruited the LaTech coach when she was in high school while on Gary Blair's staff at Arkansas (1997-2003) so they have known each other quite a while.

• Like Like x 3
  25. jusme828

jusme828 2,500+ Posts

So, do the coaches decide during these COVID times whether they will meet for the fist bump or whatever after the game? I noticed that Mulkey and Fernandez also met after their game the other night. So back to the UNT game, now it seems REALLY weird that Jalie didn't come over for the after game talk with Vic.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 1
  26. texexted

texexted 500+ Posts

Just like the UNT game, Schaefer approached mid-court before the game to wave at the Tech coaches. Unlike the UNT game, they responded. And as mentioned, he chatted with their head coach after. So yes, I agree it seems strange that Jalie never acknowledged him before, during or after the game. At this point - it's meaningless. However, when you're sitting in an empty arena with no band or fans, you have to find something to keep your attention. LOL

• Like Like x 3
    • Funny Funny x 1
    Last edited: Dec 3, 2020
  27. brnkj

brnkj 2,500+ Posts

Sour grapes in Denton.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  28. hoopsalot

hoopsalot 500+ Posts

I thought the game showed some of the team’s vulnerabilities. Made me concerned about tougher opponents ahead. Listened to Vick’s postgame. I love that he was not satisfied with the defensive effort. He was very clear about that. He took full responsibility saying he needs to teach better and prepare his team better.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  29. Run Pincher

Run Pincher 2,500+ Posts

This team does have vulnerabilities. Mainly outside shooting, but rebounding too if Lauren doesn't get freed soon.

I hope someone can start hitting some 3's soon because I know damn sure Brooke and Ariel used up their eligibility.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  30. kurupt

kurupt 1,000+ Posts

Yep, that's a recipe for disaster.