La-Tech safety says our WRs don't know how to handle press coverage

Discussion in 'On The Field' started by Statalyzer, Aug 29, 2019.

1. Statalyzer

Statalyzer 10,000+ Posts

LA Tech DBs confident in matchup vs. Texas Longhorn WRs: 'They can't handle press'

Between his trash talk and Terry Bradshaw blasting Ehlinger, it's like Louisiana Tech forgot that Tom Herman's teams have tended to play their best again big-name competition while struggling in games where everyone expects them to win. So for some reason they've decided to make sure to remind Texas to stay focused on this game and get really motivated for it while ensuring that our guys would avoid the temptation to look past this one to the LSU game.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Sangre Naranjada

Sangre Naranjada 10,000+ Posts

Well, I suppose we will see if we can handle press coverage then, won't we?

3. Sangre Naranjada

Last year, the LaTech press coverage was enhanced tremendously by having a sack machine on the DL. Press coverage is great if the QB rarely has much time to throw, but it isn't so hot if the QB can stand in the pocket for several seconds without feeling the heat from the DL.

So I think our very experienced O line will beat their press coverage, even if it affects the beginning of our receivers' routes.

Last edited: Aug 29, 2019
  4. horninchicago

horninchicago 10,000+ Posts

Is there anyone out there who has ever taken Terry Bradshaw seriously on any topic? A hyperactive loon.

I had the opportunity to apply and interview to be one of his pilots. I declined to do so.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. El Sapo

El Sapo Bevo's BFF

Good point. Two star L’Jarius Sneed with three college offers isn't someone I'm taking seriously either. I think our receivers are going to maul these guys....and that was before he opened his mouth.

• Like Like x 1
  6. ViperHorn

ViperHorn 10,000+ Posts

In order to press you first have to get close enough to the receiver. I expect they will start the back 7 or 9 backpedaling at the snap to which Texas will just throw look-in's or wheel routes until the LB's come forward. They are going to have to bring along their 4x100 relay team to keep up once that happens.

7. 167back

167back 100+ Posts

Their best DB is Robertson (corner) big time playmaker.

8. rick mueller

rick mueller Burnt Orange Bleeder

I look forward to seeing them try to press CJ, Brennan and Epps.

• Agree Agree x 2
  9. ViperHorn

ViperHorn 10,000+ Posts

I am sure he is in C-USA.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. 167back

167back 100+ Posts

He is a legit CB at any level

11. Crockett

Crockett 5,000+ Posts

No good coach is going to have his players go into a game without a plan to win it, so the Louisiana DB is saying nothing inappropriate. Let's save the arrogance until after we've beaten them soundly.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Sangre Naranjada

That's one legit CB at any level. I'll be incredibly impressed if he can cover Johnson, Epps, Eagles, and Duvernay all on the same play.

• Like Like x 1
  13. NRHorn

NRHorn 2,500+ Posts

Thanks, I was thinking the same...so this kids gonna handle Collin in man coverage?
    And I doubt that...but Hmmmm, ooookaay, but what about the other 3 WR’s

14. horninchicago

horninchicago 10,000+ Posts

I thought the whole point of the comments about this guy was addressing HIS arrogance and bulletin board material. Any good coach is likely not too happy to have a player making these kinds of comments.

• Winner Winner x 2
    Last edited: Aug 30, 2019
  15. 167back

167back 100+ Posts

So will I so will I. Honestly tech's secondary is the best position group on the team. Saw in one of those preseason mags that LA Tech's secondary was rated better than the horns.

16. Sangre Naranjada

Somebody doesn't know wtf they are talking about at that magazine.

17. NRHorn

NRHorn 2,500+ Posts

Saw the same article, but the magazine also headlined a story about the Area 51 coverup, Rosannes affair with Prince Charles and how you can lose over 50 lbs in one month by eating this one fruit from Madagascar.

• Funny Funny x 1
    Last edited: Aug 30, 2019
  18. ViperHorn

ViperHorn 10,000+ Posts

Was that the one in the Ruston Daily Leader? Come 'on man.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  19. Crockett

Crockett 5,000+ Posts

Well, I'd say sometimes La Tech did a good job of press coverage... but we did have some receivers get free.

20. mchammer

mchammer 10,000+ Posts

And we had some bad passes and dropped passes that limited the damage. Could have been ugly later in season