Lake Travis update

Discussion in 'Around Austin' started by hornian, Apr 2, 2007.

1. UTEE

UTEE 1,000+ Posts

2. TheFied

TheFied 2,500+ Posts

Hitting the Guadalupe River tomorrow and might be hitting Lake Travis Saturday. Not the Cove though. I don't want to drown....

3. Orange&White

Orange&White 1,000+ Posts

4. TheFied

TheFied 2,500+ Posts

O&W, I have been to the Cove about 6 times. Alot of fun but a bunch of people who either 1) don't know how to drive boats, 2) way too drunk and driving boats that they don't know how to drive, 3) own way too much boat than they know how to control...... Not everyone in the cove but way too many people like the 3 above.

5. MilkmanDan

MilkmanDan 1,000+ Posts

6. Orange&White

Devil's Cove gets blamed for every death on Lake Travis. I don't remember a death in the Cove in the past two years. And both of those happened because a drunk person decided to do do something stupid to themselves on a water slide, which had absolutely nothing to do with anyone elses boating abilities. Most people who have drowned in the lake the past few years died while swimming on shore or on a dock.

You are correct that there are a number of idiots in the cove that can't operate, but you, along with most people in Austin, are way too quick to blame the people who go to Devil's Cove.

7. Orange&White

Talk about eerie timing...

Drowning in Devil's Cove

Man drowns at Lake Travis

By Sarah Coppola | Sunday, July 6, 2008, 10:45 AM

A man drowned in Lake Travis last night after diving into the water to try to untwist a boat anchor, authorities said.

The man was found in Devil’s Hollow at about 9 a.m. this morning, said Major Mark Sawa of the Travis County Sheriff’s Office.

The man was known to be a good swimmer, but did not surface after diving into about 50 feet of water to try to untwist the anchor, Sawa said.

Other people were on the boat at the time. Alcohol is not believed to be a factor in the incident, Sawa said.

Police have not released the man’s name.

8. TheFied

TheFied 2,500+ Posts

O&W, hey man I agree. But I have seen more than enough near accidents on Devil's Cove on big weekends to make my skin crawl. I remember July 3 years ago being there actually around my birthday and all of a sudden a big storm blew in. Everyone scrambled out of the Cove like a fart in the wind. People were still swimming while boats were buzzing left & right. SUPER dangerous.

I love Lake Travis but I'll avoid Devil's Cove for now..........

9. Basketball Jones

Basketball Jones 500+ Posts

That's tragic about the boater. I know anchors aren't cheap, but they are a lot cheaper than a funeral. I was with a guy a couple of years ago and the anchor got snagged -- he chose to cut theline instead of trying to swim down -- I think that's a better choice.

I was out yesterday -- things were pretty calm. Lake wasn't that crowded.

10. UTEE

UTEE 1,000+ Posts

I've had to cut a couple of anchors loose in Devil's Cove over the years.

11. Orange&White

We had someone kind enough to cut ours with their prop on Saturday evening.

12. UTEE

UTEE 1,000+ Posts

13. judgroybeanbag

judgroybeanbag 500+ Posts

14. TheFied

TheFied 2,500+ Posts

I doubt he knew it was 50 feet deep. He must have thought it was ~20 feet at most.

15. UTEE

UTEE 1,000+ Posts

16. tex-horn

tex-horn 100+ Posts

Wow.. Who dives down in a deep cove to untwist your anchor? Seriously?

Well, him obviously. That's pretty crazy..

17. GHoward

GHoward 2,500+ Posts

I would think LCRA (or someone) would put permanent anchors and buoys out there so people could tie on to it.

I was at the lake today, and last weekend. It's low, but bad bad. The boat ramp at Wentz park is right at the water line.

18. Orange&White

The courtesy docks below Carlos and Charlie's will probably be unusable this weekend unless this hurricane dumps some rain on us.

I watched 4 sailboats get hung and saw a 22 foot open bow till up mud by spinning too hard in reverse.

People, especially Lake Travis novices, really need to watch out these days.

19. Orange&White

The entrance to CnC and the ramp to JFF are only about 100 yards apart. If you can get one, park in the lot directly at the top of the ramp for just for fun. That way you will minimize the distance you have to carry all of your gear down to the boat and back up.

If you're not planning on hitting Devil's Cove, I think you can rent from Just For Fun at the Marina where Cafe Blue is, on Lime Creek Rd. The whole parking/boat renting/loading/unloading ordeal will be much more relaxed and the food at Cafe Blue is infinitely better than the crap that CnC dishes out at pretty much the same price

Cafe Blue

Now, if you're going just for the whole Devil's Cove/party experience, just hit CnC/Emerald Point.

20. Orange&White

I think you can rent right there. I am pretty sure it is JFF but it may be another rental company. But I do know that there is a rental place at the Marina where cafe blue is.

21. Orange&White

22. DRAG69

DRAG69 1,000+ Posts

That is cool.

Man the boat ramp I use at Bar K near Lago Vista is already closed because of the levels. Fortunately they have another ramp near the marina that is still available.

We really need some serious rain.