landry jones to return for sr season at ou

Discussion in 'On The Field' started by tamster, Jan 5, 2012.

1. tamster

tamster 500+ Posts

ESPN LINKY

sucks for us. but will be so much sweeter when we beat them in Dallas.

2. ViperHorn

ViperHorn 10,000+ Posts

Takes away an excuse plus gives Manny a shot of shutting a top draft pick down before Manny moves to a HC position for 2013.

3. Clean

Clean 5,000+ Posts

Landry Jones seemed to get worse as the season progressed. Coming back is probably a good idea. Gives us a chance to kick his butt.

4. Horn87

Horn87 1,000+ Posts

agree, Clean--makes me wonder how we ever lost to this guy [​IMG]

5. South Austin

South Austin 2,500+ Posts

He seems like he'll suck for one more year.

6. PropositionJoe

PropositionJoe 2,500+ Posts

he really really really missed ryan broyles out there.

7. Horn2Run

Horn2Run 1,000+ Posts

i agree with joe, that offense looked out of sync after broyles went out....i never thought LJ would come back, yet another kid turning his nose up at guranteed lifetime financial security for a roll of the dice

and oh yeah, another year living in wonderful norman okla....i stand corrected......

8. Horn2Run

Horn2Run 1,000+ Posts

i should add, jones w/ another spring with stills & co. and they'll be very tough....hate to see the kid back, really....ou w/b tough in '12

9. Aces_Full

Aces_Full 500+ Posts

well this ensures another embarrassing loss to the Sooners for next year.

10. FWHORN

FWHORN 10,000+ Posts

First I would be saying the same things if this was a Texas kid.......

Very very stupid decision from a kid who has a ton of examples from his own team of why he should get the money now and not be risking injury etc. He is a first round pick now with no Matt Barkley ahead of him to push him down the salary slot. This is Bradford et al redux and hopefully it doesnt play out the same way. Stoops should be tarred and feathered for not pushing this kid to go pro. didnt he learn from the whole Gresham, Bradford, Broyles fiascos.Kidas he talked into coming back and who got badly injured their next year losing money at least for year they stayed in school and also long term as it affects the longevity of their careers.

Just really bad advice and stupid decision.

11. Xcalibur

Xcalibur 250+ Posts

Well, I have no doubt that we'll win the game now. Mario Edwards will force a sack and a fumble which will set up the game winning TD from Bo Wallace to DGB as time expires for an epic Longhorn victory. [​IMG] [​IMG]

12. majorwhiteapples

majorwhiteapples 5,000+ Posts

Landry Jones is not a first round pick.

Maybe 2nd more than likely a 3rd or 4th round pick in this years draft.

Granted, I haven't seen Mel Kiper's board, but Jones is not a first round pick.

13. OUBubba

OUBubba 5,000+ Posts

Landry's game devolved some for a few reasons. His security blanket (Broyles) got hurt. His second level receivers had some intermittant injury issues as well. His OL had some minor injury issues also. The running game losing their starter hurt a lot also. He's a good QB. He's not great. Another year of growth should help him continue to grow and learn. But, he's a comparable college QB to Aaron Rogers, Drew Brees, Matty Ice, Tom Brady, etc. I'm not saying he's that good at the next level. My point is that what makes you stand out in college is not necessarily what makes you stand out in the pros. Time will tell. This year he was too inconsistent. He needs to improve on that.

On the draft issue I disagree with Stoops input and it being wrong. Bradford was the #1 pick after the injury. So, it had no impact. I can't imagine Gresham going much higher than he did as TE's don't get drafted too high anyway (2011 had the 1st TE going at 43). Broyles will go high regardless and last year was an unknown anyway because of the labor issues.

I think the decision to leave early has been impacted significantly by the new CBA whereas now the contract amounts are slotted. I think it shuffles the deck and makes everything a known quantity. Previously, if you had a good Sr. season and you bumped yourself from a 3rd rounder to a 2nd rounder you made a lot more money. I don't think that will play out as grandly as it has in the past.

I can't think of one player from OU that impacted their draft status negatively in a significant manner by staying another year. I can think of a few that either didn't get drafted or were drafted in the late rounds when they could have spent another year showing what they could do and moved up in the draft. Curtis Loftin comes to mind. He was drafted in the 3rd round. Another year and he possibly gets drafted higher and makes more money during his first contract. Same thing with Jimmy Wilkerson. It's a financial decision. I think Stoops and them stay out of the decision making but try to bring some reality to the situation as compared to what the agents are telling them.

14. South Austin

South Austin 2,500+ Posts

15. HornsForever'93

HornsForever'93 1,000+ Posts

This gives the sunshine pumpers and excuse when we get trampled

16. SoonerAtKU

SoonerAtKU 100+ Posts

Hell, Ronnell Lewis from OU is going pro early this same year. Granted, that probably has more to do with academics and money than it does with football performance, but it's not like Stoops is threatening families to keep these guys on campus.

17. Dirty Martin

Dirty Martin 500+ Posts

He is coming back to win his 2nd consecutive national championship.

18. Horn69

Horn69 2,500+ Posts

Is he going to take ballroom dancing?

wonder if he'll beat out blake bell for playing time? he certainly lost out to him inside the 10-yard line the last half of the season.

Hook'em!!! [​IMG]

19. WorsterMan

WorsterMan SEC here we come!!

BRING IT LANDRY! Your go-to guy Broyles is gone. Diaz' Horn D is going to really get after you at the RRS..... not the RRR.

[​IMG]

20. cochamps

cochamps 2,500+ Posts

I don't think that he would be a 1st rounder, so I do think he has a chance to boost his stock. I would hope that we knock him on his *** repeatedly this year...but I'm not holding my breath.

21. Statalyzer

Statalyzer 10,000+ Posts

I've never seen the guy as a difference maker. Like most other QBs, he will look good when the OL and WRs look good and will look bad when the OL and WRs look bad.

22. UTEX69

UTEX69 250+ Posts

I suppose there is no connection between recruiting DGB into the huddle and the return of a QB who can actually throw the ball..

Nice reason to hang around