Las Vegas

Discussion in 'West Mall' started by Joe Fan, Oct 2, 2017.

1. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

• Like Like x 2
  2. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

Continuing to interject facts into the dispute -- FBI 2014 stats show you’re more likely to get beaten to death by a bat (or otherwise beaten, clubbed or stabbed) than you are to be killed with a rifle (including any AR-type)

In 2014 in the US, 248 people were killed from any form of rifle. In contrast, 3,827 people were killed from being stabbed or beaten to death. That means that you are 15.4 times more likely to die from a stabbing or beating than a rifle. Handguns accounted for the vast majority of firearms deaths.

click once to enlarge
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  3. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

Murders in the US are concentrated:
    54% of US counties in 2014 had zero murders
    2% of counties have 51% of the murders

[​IMG]

Compare to map of Democratic controlled local governments
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 5
  4. OUBubba

OUBubba 5,000+ Posts

These numbers are way higher than in person voter fraud.... just sayin'. :)

5. Crockett

Crockett 5,000+ Posts

Zounds! there were more murders in Los Angeles than in Borger TX and Minot ND combined? Who could have imagined?

6. Phil Elliott

Phil Elliott 2,500+ Posts

Another thing that is constantly lost is that suicides make up about 2/3 of gun deaths.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

That is simple. They are defending the principle, not the individuals involved. It's just like when the ACLU (back when it actually stood for its name) defended the Nazis' right to march in Skokie. You can be certain the Jewish attorneys in the ACLU were not defending the Nazis. What they were defending was free speech, free asembly and the 1st Amendment.

With regards to legislative inroads aimed at gun rights, the biggest problem is that politicians lie ("You can keep your doctor"). Accordingly, you have no choice but to fight them on every attempt to compromise the 2nd Amendment.

• Like Like x 1
    Last edited: Oct 5, 2017
  8. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

What are you gonna do?
    Cigarettes: ~480,000 deaths annually.
    Alcohol: ~88,000 deaths annually.
    Automobile: ~40,000 deaths annually.
    ~52,000,000 abortions since 1973

• Like Like x 1
    Last edited: Oct 5, 2017
  9. Seattle Husker

Seattle Husker 10,000+ Posts

I think you may have "core" and "extreme" confused.

10. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

It is, of course, much more complicated than just that

11. I35

I35 5,000+ Posts

Did you ask the dead people that voted?

12. Seattle Husker

What do the numbers show when expanded beyond "homicides" to deaths or accidents?

13. Clean

Clean 5,000+ Posts

I think I had an acid flashback while watching that Nancy Sinatra video.

• Like Like x 2
  14. Crockett

Crockett 5,000+ Posts

Yep. I'm thinking the map has a whole lot more with population density than voting patterns.

15. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

I have the charts and stats to break all of that down, but I dont feel like dealing with the automatic attacks that will come. So I am stopping right where I left it, going biking then watching the Astros/Sox. Let someone else do it.

• Like Like x 1
  16. I35

I35 5,000+ Posts

But we're not suppose to talk about that.

17. mb227

mb227 de Plorable

Well, I don't know...it DOES become more difficult (albeit not impossible) to fire weapons with no forearms, so there might be SOME correlation :D

• Like Like x 1
  18. mb227

mb227 de Plorable

A SINGLE murder in Borger or Minot would skyrocket their rate though...math is fun

• Like Like x 1
  19. Crockett

Crockett 5,000+ Posts

The map reports homicides per county, not homicides per capita.

20. Mr. Deez

Mr. Deez Beer Prophet

So Loving County and Los Angeles County are treated as equivalent. That makes sense.

21. Seattle Husker

Fun with numbers and agendas. :facepalm:

22. militaryhorn

militaryhorn Prediction Contest Manager

How many of the murderers are registered voters and used a gun to commit the murder? That information would make this correlation more creditable.

Assuming of course that you want us to infer that democratic voters kill more with guns than republicans.

23. Crockett

Crockett 5,000+ Posts

Just to be clear -- I'm completely OK with dove and quail hunters in Borger and pheasant hunters in Minot to be armed as necessary, whether they register to vote or no.

24. Crockett

Crockett 5,000+ Posts

Good idea. I wish I could get out of the office.

25. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

Legit question?

26. mb227

mb227 de Plorable

Straw graspers are going to grasp at straws. You can tell it is someone from overseas when they talk about Paddock having 'hired' two rooms. Further, even if it is someone in the States who is using images from overseas sources, he apparently forgets that anyone who was playing optimal strategy at VP likely ALSO knows how to use google.

• Like Like x 1
  27. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

This guy mostly is straws.
    For example --

"...Authorities say they recovered an undisclosed amount of the compound known as Tannerite from Paddock’s home in Mesquite and 50 pounds from his car parked at Mandalay Bay..."

28. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

Kozinsky --

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  29. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

And there it is -- Bump stocks are just a springboard to magazine capacity. This is why you can never give an inch to them

• Like Like x 1
  30. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

So, I am reading that that Paddock made a video. And that he also had a hidden online profile which we have only figured out in the last day or so. But no way to tell if this is true or another rabbit hole