Last 15-yard penalty on sideline

Discussion in 'On The Field' started by VYFan, Sep 26, 2015.

1. VYFan

VYFan 2,500+ Posts

Just getting home from game, but wanted clarification from TV watchers. What I think happened was that someone on the sideline threw the challenge flag onto the field after the Poona Ford penalty, and that it was not a challengable play--well, at least I can tell you that the challenge flag was thrown up in the air.

Was that discussed on TV?

On here, I just saw reference to the fact that the flag was on Charlie Strong.

2. Vol Horn 4 Life

Vol Horn 4 Life Good Bye To All The Rest!

That was on Charlie. Got all kinds of pissed off at the refs.

3. Mesohorny

Mesohorny 1,000+ Posts

As we all did. Never heard so much sustained booing of refs. Every big play we had, a flag was thrown.

• Like Like x 1
  4. TrueHorn83

TrueHorn83 100+ Posts

I don't blame him one bit. Not. one. bit. Besides, as blatantly against us as the refs were, do you really think it mattered??

• Like Like x 4
  5. Brad Austin

Brad Austin 2,500+ Posts

There are things I blame Strong for in this game, like the timeout on 3rd and 10 with 40 seconds left, etc. But that penalty is not one of them. That was a bullsh*t call that never is made, much less when the game is being decided. And it never even happened. I'd have lost my sh*t too and skipped the post-game interview so I didn't talk more sh*t and get fined or suspended.

• Like Like x 1
  6. VYFan

VYFan 2,500+ Posts

But to my question, was the throwing of the challenge flag mentioned?

7. georgecostanza

georgecostanza NBHorn7’s Protégé

There is no challenge flag in college. The coaches simply tell the refs that they want to challenge the ruling.

8. VYFan

VYFan 2,500+ Posts

Excellent, thanks--someone on the sideline threw something that looked like a handkerchief or small towel with a ball-end on it, so my eyes fit that into what I expected it was.

9. wadster

wadster 5,000+ Posts

Yea, I don't know how once in a decade a coach doesn't just cold cock the head ref as they walk off the field.

10. easy

easy 2,500+ Posts

He should have blew up a long time ago they threw so many bs flags on us tonight. I feel bad for those young guys who stepped up and played with poise only to have it took away from them just about every time they did something good

• Like Like x 1
  11. Longbomb

Longbomb 500+ Posts

I thought I saw a little chest bump on the ref by Charlie right before the flag was thrown. I think it was the physical contact that drew the flag and not the yelling.

• Like Like x 1
  12. georgecostanza

Anyone have a replay of the yelling?

13. Sangre Naranjada

Sangre Naranjada 10,000+ Posts

Longbomb is right.

14. georgecostanza

Clearly the ref walks into Charlie. Charlie doesn't give a chest bump. The ref initiates the contact as an excuse to throw the flag.

15. georgecostanza

16. georgecostanza

Ref walks into him every time I watch it.

17. Longbomb

Longbomb 500+ Posts

yeah you are right, it looks that way to me too.
    (I only saw it once in real time before my original comment)

18. mchammer

mchammer 10,000+ Posts

The lean-in with the shoulder (clearly seen from the back view) is asinine at best and nutso at worst.

19. TheWalkingHorn

TheWalkingHorn 500+ Posts

20. Sangre Naranjada

Sangre Naranjada 10,000+ Posts

First time I saw those angles. f**k those refs.

21. wadster

wadster 5,000+ Posts

Guy may hate Texas, he may hate Strong, he may hate black people, or he may just be an ***. I don't what his deal is, but he needs to be fined and fired. The difference between 2-2 and 1-3 is huge. May be a hole Charlie can't dig out of. That may be the worst intentional dig by a ref I've ever seen. Leans into Charlie and then throws a flag. Incredible.

22. Detective Shilala

Detective Shilala 2,500+ Posts

Seriously wow, I missed that whenI was watching on TV. If I wasn't convinced before that there was something criminal going on, I am now. That is actual gamesmanship being performed by a referee...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gamesmanship

Gamesmanship is the use of dubious (although not technically illegal) methods to win or gain a serious advantage in a game or sport. It has been described as "Pushing the rules to the limit without getting caught, using whatever dubious methods possible to achieve the desired end"

You expect this from the players and coaches. When its from a referee... I would say it is illegal.

23. blonthang

blonthang 2,500+ Posts

Isn't this now in our AD's hands, to review, discuss with coach, and then if appropriate file a complaint with Big 12 office?

24. Gontex2

Gontex2 100+ Posts

Charlie walked away from the guy three or four times and each time the ref followed him. Clearly he wasn't going to quit until he got an excuse to throw the flag.

• Like Like x 1
  25. Detective Shilala

Detective Shilala 2,500+ Posts

That's what it looks like to me too. Something you would expect from a soccer player.

"do-deedo-deedooo, I'm just walking over here in my opponent's personal space... WHAT! OMG he turned and his shoulder brushed me! OW! OW! OW! <grabs his arm and flops and looks at the ref>"

Except in this case he is the ******* ref and he gets to throw his own flag!

Last edited: Sep 27, 2015
  26. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

The guy in question is LineJudge Kelly Deterding, Sr Vp at a bank in Lubbock. He should have been tossed years ago. Mack had major run ins with him. I think there may still be a bounty on him in the Dust Bowl over calls in the OU/Tech game several years ago. He is a major assclown and should be doing middle school games. He definitely is the winner of the illustrious "Jim Evans Award for Officiating Incompetence".

27. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  28. orangeblack&gold

orangeblack&gold 500+ Posts

Ho Lee Fook, I thought something was slimy about that 15-yarder at the end of the game, but this is really shameful. I know that his business certainly won't suffer since it's up in Lubbock, but I sure hope he's a full-time banker again ASAP.

29. majorwhiteapples

majorwhiteapples 5,000+ Posts

I hadn't seen that before, wow, that Official should be suspended if not fired. I heard these were the same officials when Baylor lost to WVU last year and the calls were just as bad, just a rumor I heard....

30. Joe Texas

Joe Texas 25+ Posts

Ref should be immediately fired for bumping the coach then throwing the flag.