Last round of fertilizer?

Discussion in 'Horn Depot' started by Jeevsie, Sep 5, 2006.

1. Jeevsie

Jeevsie 100+ Posts

Is it too late to throw some more down before winterizing? Last time I applied was April.

2. wolfman

wolfman 1,000+ Posts

I usually fertilize in mid-september. It is also the time to put down pre-emergent weed control.

3. WooHorn

WooHorn 250+ Posts

Yes. It should be three months after your April feeding, but with the heat/drought, it was not a bad idea to skip this year.

It is exactly the correct time to put down preemergent.

4. Brak

Brak 500+ Posts

WooHorn nailed it. Wait till October to fertilze.

Fall Fertilizer

For Central Texas apply fertilizer in the Oct-Nov range. Dallas/North Texas is Sept/Oct range according to above link. Jerry Parsons says mid to late October.

Plant Answers

5. jimmyjazz

jimmyjazz 2,500+ Posts

Timely thread. I bought a house with a nice yard a couple of months ago, and I've been trying to keep it alive. So, I've been watering the hell out of it, which is working. (It's mostly St. Augustine.)

However, there are some "dead" spots that I can't really understand. Are they likely the result of some sort of bug infestation? What should I try?

6. Horn_Spanker

Horn_Spanker 250+ Posts

Keep the pre-emergent away from trees. It will kill them. I have first hand experience!

7. Jeevsie

Jeevsie 100+ Posts

Good point on trees. My backyard trees are getting to a good 15-20 ft. tall. I'd hate for something to happen to them.

I know the general concensus on Weed & Feed, but wouldn't it make good sense at this time? Or is pre-emergent a different kind of herbicide than what's in w&f?

8. grinder

grinder 500+ Posts

I apply a feed mixture on 4/15 and 9/15 every year. I don't use a weed-and-feed due to the damage it causes to trees, shrubs, etc., and a thick, healthy lawn will choke out weeds anyways.

9. 007 373 5963

007 373 5963 100+ Posts

what does winterizing entail?

10. grinder

grinder 500+ Posts

11. 98HornGirl

98HornGirl 25+ Posts

True on a healthy lawn choking out the weeds. But if you really want to try a pre-emergent, try corn gluten meal. It's sold in huge bags as an organic pre-emergent at Lowe's.