Latest AAS article on C. Texas talent coming to UT

Discussion in 'Recruiting' started by HousHorn09, Jan 5, 2008.

1. HousHorn09

HousHorn09 2,500+ Posts

2. CleverNickname

CleverNickname 500+ Posts

512 IS AUSTIN AREA CODE. IT'S HIS WAY OF SHOWING LOVE TO THE FOLKS BACK HOME.

3. hookem2003

hookem2003 500+ Posts

I love it. This team should ALWAYS be built almost exclusively with Texas boys. Mack always got that. [​IMG]

4. bularry

bularry 250+ Posts

getting a team full of only texas players will generally guarantee a good team but will rarely result in a great team.

look at usc and florida, two schools in recruiting hotbeds that compliment their rosters with out of state players.

5. Rissin

Rissin < 25 Posts

did we not do better than florida this year? ... dont watch so much espn

6. Travman

Travman < 25 Posts

If you dominate the state of Texas in recruiting and coach them good you can win National Titles. Out of state recruiting is fine but we don't have to have it if we clean up in state. It's the coaching aspect where we have been lacking.

7. LibertyValance

LibertyValance < 25 Posts

DKR had three national championship teams (1963, 1969, 1970) during his 20 year tenure at UT. Correct me if I am wrong but if I remember correctly he only had a total of 10 out of state players during that 20 year time period. Thats the thing I remember and admire most about DKR. He achieved greatness almost exclusively with Texas boys.

That having been said who were the 10 OOS players who played for Royal? I can think of four. Hamilton, a LB out of New Mexico, Jim Bertleson out of Wisconsin, Freddie Steinmark out of Colorado and some other LB who was from Louisiana. Can anyone else out there name the other six? [​IMG]

8. jmatt

jmatt 1,000+ Posts

9. J.R.69

J.R.69 250+ Posts

LibertyValance: Re: Royal's OOS players:

Bobby Mitchell, Colorado; Rodney Tate, Oklahoma; Gralyn Wyatt, Arkansas; Jam Jones, Ohio; a DE from Rayville, La (can't think of his name);

10. Phil Hellmuth

Phil Hellmuth 100+ Posts

11. bularry

bularry 250+ Posts

Phil,

and that was a great team. since then and just prior, very good teams. any other great teams at ut in the Mack years? I don't know.

What was so funny about my comment? so cal and florida don't have good players? those schools don't have out of state players?

and I love the DKR only had Texas boys comments. Let's see, he also didn't have scholarship limits, there weren't many rules, he didn't have a ton of competition in most of the state, no out of state schools really recruited texas and THEY WERE ALL WHITE.

Not sure you can compare recruiting today to 1963.

12. killerfrog17

killerfrog17 250+ Posts

Jesu Christo, those 60's guys were small! 200lb. linemen? 190 lb. LBs? Were you to send our modern team back in a time warp to play a 60s team, it would be one hell of a blowout, methinks. 77-0 2007 Longhorns.

13. cochamps

cochamps 2,500+ Posts

Tate and Jam were recruited during the Akers regime, IIRC.

14. Hornius Emeritus

Hornius Emeritus 2,500+ Posts

15. bularry

bularry 250+ Posts

HE,

I'm not following. you did better than Florida this year, really? by what standards? you won your bowl game? okay. a month ago some were saying florida was maybe the best team in the country, did anyone say that about ut at any time during this season? Also, Fla has been a bigger player on the national scale the past several years, but prior to that you could use FSU as an example too.

the point is, Fla. is trying to just "recruit" the local guys, they find the best players possible who may want to come to Florida. Even though they are in an area with a lot of local talent. It makes sense to recruit top players outside of their normal "area".

I think it would make sense for ut to do the same (and ut does a little, just not to the degree I think they should and could).

16. LISD149

LISD149 100+ Posts

I can think of four [out of state recruits]. . . .and some other LB who was from Louisiana.

I believe the linebacker was Lionel Johnson from Winnifield. He was one of the first players to letter for four years since he arrived when the eligibility rules changed. He played from 1972-76. He may also have been UT's first out of state black scholarship football player.

17. LonghornsWin

LonghornsWin 500+ Posts

Jim Bertelson (sp?) was from Wisconsin and one fo the great UT running backs of all time.

18. sessamoid

sessamoid 500+ Posts

19. LostinTime

LostinTime 25+ Posts

Well I for one don't care where they come from as long as they are not crimnals and play like their hype. [​IMG]

20. Sangre Naranjada

Sangre Naranjada 10,000+ Posts