Latest on Hassan Ridgeway...

Discussion in 'Recruiting' started by H-D Rider, Jan 29, 2012.

1. H-D Rider

H-D Rider 1,000+ Posts

This will go with the 'Visiting Recruit' thread that was started last night... and courtesy of the guys at Hookem.com so I can't repeat what's been reported completely, but in due time...

Other than the Aggy site reporting that Hassan Ridgeway, Mansfield DE was in Collie Station taking an Official yesterday & last eve no one has been able to confirm the trip as of yet. His own high school head coach along with the Texas coaches did not know. Due to the Texas coaches having a recruiting weekend, they had not been able confirm the situation... but I am sure they are getting to the bottom of this. I think it would be rush to judgment to say that the Texas coaches would pull his offer & send him to Collie Station. I would think they would try to hold on to him for another 2 1/2 days...

2. Ctexan

Ctexan 100+ Posts

Really hope Ridgeway sticks with the good guys, our defense is going to be stout and his best chance of getting into the NFL.

Hook 'em Hassan!!

3. H-D Rider

H-D Rider 1,000+ Posts

Me as well... I am NOT in the camp of "Pull his Ship"! More to come...

4. H-D Rider

H-D Rider 1,000+ Posts

From Jeff Ketchum & Twitter....

“@gkketch: Hassan Ridgeway toThe Link moments ago: "I'm committed to Texas. 100-percent."The Link #Longhorns”

Ok, here's the skinny... he told the guys at Hookem.com yesterday that he was at home & on the couch when Jeff Howe called to visit with him... and now this! We will just have to wait & see where he sends in his LOI. I'm of the thinking he keeps his commit and signs with the good guys and laughs at Aggy... but following the world of a 17-18 yr. old is crazy business and what Bobby Burton & Gerry Hamilton have told me, it's "fluid!" We shall see...

5. H-D Rider

H-D Rider 1,000+ Posts

This was posted on ESPN and I believe it came from their Insiders pay site... Quotes from espn.com:

Hassan Ridgeway plans on sticking
    By William Wilkerson

AUSTIN, Texas - - Four-star defensive end Hassan Ridgeway (Mansfield, Texas/Mansfield) is “100 percent with Texas” despite taking an official visit to Texas A&M this weekend.

Ridgeway, a U.S. Army All-American, relayed that message to HornsNation on Sunday as he returned home from his visit to College Station.

What prompted the impromptu visit?

“Different reasons,” said the soft-spoken Ridgeway. “Playing time, some other things.”

Ridgeway did not elaborate on what those other things were. But he did say once he left his visit with the Aggies, he felt confident in his decision to become a Longhorn.

“I looked at it, and I didn’t care [about playing time],” Ridgeway said. “I want to be a part of Texas anyway, whether I got playing time or not.”

Ridgeway spoke with Texas defensive end coach Oscar Giles after the trip to ease any doubts on him leaving.

Ridgeway, the No. 20 defensive end in the country, has been committed to Texas since Feb. 16. He is one of two defensive ends committed in this class along with Beaumont (Texas) West Brook’s Caleb Bluiett.

When asked what it will feel like to sign his letter of intent to Texas on national signing day, Ridgeway responded, “It will be a big relief to finally get this over with.”

We'll see come 2/1, NSD!

6. brint

brint 25+ Posts

Phew... I hope he can keep his head up. Sounds like the PT issue has him down. He has the physical makeup to be a beast if he puts the work in.

7. Bill in Sinton

Bill in Sinton 5,000+ Posts

I can understand now why he had concerns and was probably harsh in my assessment. I am glad he is coming to UT. [​IMG]

8. PropositionJoe

PropositionJoe 2,500+ Posts

yup. at this point i'd be shocked if he didnt stick with his committment.

9. bishophorn

bishophorn 500+ Posts

10. brint

brint 25+ Posts

11. bishophorn

bishophorn 500+ Posts

Yes sad but true, Jeffcoat, Okafor, Reed, and Wilson are the whole ball of wax at DE. Jeffcoat had surgery and Wilson is either just off surgery or will have.

12. JohnnyT

JohnnyT < 25 Posts

Whaley unless he spins down to tackle.

13. bishophorn

bishophorn 500+ Posts

Whaley appears to be set at Tackle due to a numbers there also. The only other option is to spin down a LB, but here again, light on numbers there also, losing 2 starters and a backup. We are in a need position in those 3 positions clearly this class.

14. Knoxville-Horn

Knoxville-Horn 1,000+ Posts

As someone on another board stated, in his own words Ridgeway states that he'd rather not play at Texas than see the field at ATM. Pretty funny.

15. Alex_de_Large

Alex_de_Large 1,000+ Posts

Aggy unsells itself. Classic.

16. I35

I35 5,000+ Posts

17. Clean

Clean 5,000+ Posts

My aggy buddy from work claims that Hassan has been spotted in BCS the LAST 2 WEEKENDS. Maybe visiting friends on one of those weekends??? Glad this nonsense will end Wed.

18. BevoJoe

BevoJoe 10,000+ Posts

19. H-D Rider

H-D Rider 1,000+ Posts

20. coolhorn

coolhorn 2,500+ Posts

Not that we go after very many of the same players as the farm school, but maybe we should encourage those we do jointly go after to go ahead and visit the cult. It might help eliminate some of this late recruiting suspense. I suppose we could also ask agricultural to just go ahead and submit a list of their commitments to Mack so he could pick the two or three ag commits we want to take. So much for the SEC, SEC, SEC helping their recruiting.

21. H-D Rider

H-D Rider 1,000+ Posts

22. coolhorn

coolhorn 2,500+ Posts

What I should have said is agricultural may "go after" a lot of the players we do, but we know, and they do too, that for most of them, it's just wishful thinking. After us, the paper clips, and LSU get finished, there's not much meat left on the bone for the institute of higher farming.

23. H-D Rider

H-D Rider 1,000+ Posts

^^^
    +1... I agree!

I listed Dalton Santos above because when he de-committed from Ok. St. last summer, he didn't even give the ATM a sniff and all we've heard is the move to the SEC will make recruits look at them twice... he'll he didn't even look at them once! Unless our friends to the East win & win often in their new conference, I see them having a very LONG row to hoe! [​IMG]

24. guy noir

guy noir 100+ Posts

Maybe a good player, but a character flaw to visit aggy at end. Contrary to a good rule that exists for a reason - no scholarship for visits after commitment. Evidence that he doesn't want the 'Horns enough.

25. OldHippie

OldHippie 2,500+ Posts

26. coolhorn

coolhorn 2,500+ Posts

I couldn't say this of all schools, but I don't have a problem with Ridgeway taking a looksee at agricultural. No smack intended this time (Honestly!) but our acquaintances to the east are one of the best sales tools we have. Spend a weekend in Austin, at UT, then do the same thing at collie station and agricultural, and you won't need to be a rocket scientist to know where you want to spend your next four years. (Hint...in a vast majority of cases, it won't be in a rural setting while dancing backwards at the 'Chicken and yelling B.S. every two steps...)

27. IdahoanHorn

IdahoanHorn 250+ Posts

in my mind all a trip down there to dog station would do is assure him that TEXAS is the place to be.... unless he likes standing around fires drinking beer, chewing tobacco and cleaning up horse ****

28. I35

I35 5,000+ Posts

In reply to:

29. guy noir

guy noir 100+ Posts

"Committted" before he investigated the facts relevant to the decision? Why commit if he's uncertain about whatever he went to aggy to see at the last minute?
    What does "commit" mean?

30. horn4jc

horn4jc 1,000+ Posts

We were just the beneficiary of 2 guys who decommitted and came to us. It makes us look like hypocrites when we complain about someone possibly decommitting from us.

Let's wait and see who faxes their commitments tomorrow morning and go from there.