L'Auberge Lake Charles

Discussion in 'On The Road Again' started by CottonEyedHorn, May 20, 2012.

1. CottonEyedHorn

CottonEyedHorn 1,000+ Posts

Planning a trip to Seaside this summer and need a halfway stopping point along I -10 . We'd like to break up the trip with a afternoon/evening stopover at a hotel with a large outdoor play area with lazy rivers, fun pools,etc for the kids to play in to break up the 17hr road trip. L'Auberge in Lake Charles looks to fit the bill. It's about 9 hrs from home, leaving about 7 hrs from there to Seaside. Anyone been there? Or have similar recommended accommodations along the I-10 route? La Toretta on Lake Conroe is another example of the type of place we're looking for, but that's way to close to the front end of the trip.

2. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

Coushatta supposedly has opened a new hotel, but I don't think it compares very favorably to L'Auberge. There is nohting across that stretch that has any appeal. The one thing I would advise is the rates in Lake Charles and Shreveport on weekdays are usually about a third waht they are weekends.

Don't know where you're originating, but everything from Houston to NOLA is pretty much crap. Not much difference in the $59 dumps and the $200 dumps.

3. CottonEyedHorn

That's what we figured but for one night we can probably stomach it [​IMG] Point of origin is San Angelo. We could go via Shreveport but that adds an hour to an already long trip.

4. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

Shreveport is not really kid friendly - very little for them to do.

Will it be a weekend or weekday?

In a word, Conroe SUCKS! mudpit with about 5 times as many watercraft as should be allowed.

5. CottonEyedHorn

It'll be a Friday night. Yeah, I know about Conroe. But that Toretta place has a pretty cool mini-water park and lazy river that would be right up my kids alley. Looks like this L'Auberge place may be our only real option at this point for breaking up the trip.