Leadership?

Discussion in 'On The Field' started by OrangeShogun, Sep 11, 2021.

1. OrangeShogun

OrangeShogun 500+ Posts

With Sam's departure, I question if there is any. Maybe Casey Thompson, though it's difficult to lead a team from the bench. This may be the most important reason to make CT the starting QB.

2. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

We haven't had "leadership" on the team since David Thomas & Casey Studdard went to the NFL.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Hot Hot x 1
  3. MajorRules00

MajorRules00 500+ Posts

I agree. The team seemed unaware of what they were walking into tonight. Saw the difference CT made on the offense when he entered the game. We need a leader like that, on the field, in all three phases.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. WorsterMan

WorsterMan SEC here we come!!

Sam is gone.... this team is searching for it's soul IMO. Not sure who the leaders really are. Card and Thompson may be by default because they are the QB's, but they don't appear to be very verbal that I can tell.

Card has an arm, but he was off vs arky. Some of that was hogs pressure and poor OL blocking. He was running for his life at times. Missed several long throws that could have been TD's.

Thompson came in and brought a spark as was stated, maybe some passion and he brought some determination that I did not see in Card tonight. He lead the Horns to 2 TD's.

I think CT should start next week.

• Like Like x 1
  5. BevoJoe

BevoJoe 10,000+ Posts

In reality, Card wasn't getting it done as was apparent at least early in the 2nd Qtr. I thought we would see Thompson starting the 3rd qtr, but Card continued through the 3rd. By the fourth, it was too late. Maybe we see Thompson start against Rice next week, at least I hope so.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. BevoJoe

BevoJoe 10,000+ Posts

Good points, and I agree. Card was slow on the execution of his reads and passes from what I saw. His passes seem to have too much ark to them and not as fast or direct. Might be just a perception on my part. Thompson might not be as accurate but seems to have a quicker release. As far as running the ball, Thompson is fast and has quicker moves. When passing, he moves through his progression quickly and has a better feel for the rush. He is the better runner as we saw on his two runs on TDs. Just my thoughts.

• Like Like x 2
  7. RainH2burntO

RainH2burntO 2,500+ Posts

Shouldn't be so focused on just the QB position. Team needs leaders for sure but doesn't always have to be the QB as the primary leader.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  8. Horn6721

Horn6721 10,000+ Posts

Agree Rain
    Someone should have stepped up on Defense.
    No one did

9. BevoJoe

BevoJoe 10,000+ Posts

Who is the leader of the Defensive unit?

10. OrangeShogun

OrangeShogun 500+ Posts

Overshown and Thompson are upper classmen, but after they openly expressed their opinions re: The University of Texas, if you truly loved all things UT Longhorn, would you follow them? Maybe Coburn or Jamison can/will step up.

11. EMJ426

EMJ426 250+ Posts

I would think if Casey wanted to separate in some area from Card, he would take up the Leadership role.

• Like Like x 1
    • Hot Hot x 1
  12. Pomspoms

Pomspoms 5,000+ Posts

Alright CT starting.
    Maybe the team will play inspired behind Thompson.
    I am hoping for inspire leadership and playmaking from Thompson much like he did in the Colorado game.
    Open up the Playbook coach!

• Like Like x 2
  13. Vol Horn 4 Life

Vol Horn 4 Life Good Bye To All The Rest!

He did from the sidelines Saturday night. We'll see how that translates to the field.

14. mchammer

mchammer 10,000+ Posts

It should be said that Anthony Cook appeared to have a good game. Been a while since that could be said.

• Agree Agree x 2
  15. ViperHorn

ViperHorn 10,000+ Posts

Leading by example is only half (if that much) of being a leader. A good guy "in the locker room" doesn't necessarily lead to a good leader. A good leader holds people accountable for their actions. No one appeared to say anything when Texas "walked back to the bench" after halftime which equals no leadership. If Sark can stay onboard for 3 to 4 years hopefully he will have recruited enough leaders to take care of the leadership issue.

• Like Like x 4
    • Winner Winner x 1