Leading Candidates?

Discussion in 'Men’s Basketball' started by ut1969, Mar 26, 2021.

1. beijinghorn1

beijinghorn1 500+ Posts

My greatest hope is the decision is not rushed. I remember everyone saying what a great can't miss coach TH was and I firmly believe just the smallest amount of vetting would have easily detected his personality flaws. I now wonder why LSU really backed away. Anway this basketball coach search is very tricky. I think the cream of the crop of high school players are going to stop with the one and done, leaving coaches with kids who really have little chance to make it to the NBA. I sense the great coaches for the past 20 years are about to retire and hopefully Texas can find the next great one.

2. Sangre Naranjada

Sangre Naranjada 10,000+ Posts

Most people have refrained from impugning Shaka. Not all.

3. horninchicago

horninchicago 10,000+ Posts

I guess I have missed that.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Omniscient.one

Omniscient.one 500+ Posts

Fair enough. If you don’t mind me asking, I take it you work/worked for the university? If so, in what capacity? Enjoy the first-hand accounts

5. Sangre Naranjada

Sangre Naranjada 10,000+ Posts

And that's perfectly fair. The attempts at belittling nicknames, comments like "good riddance to bad garbage" have been quite infrequent (I wish they had been 100% absent), and this is a positive testament to the fans who post here.

6. horninchicago

horninchicago 10,000+ Posts

Oh okay. Well, again, I only took those comments as to referring to the 6 years of lack of results, not about him as a person.

• Like Like x 3
  7. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

Never worked for The University, but volunteered when we were allowed to help in recruiting. I met with David when he was hired and told him I loved him, I loved his family, I would attend games and cheer, but I could never support him because of the way he got the job. I told him I knew he wasn't involved, but teh actions were unfathomable, even for the biggest shitheads in our alumni base.

I was, however, personally involved in:

1) The computer encoding scandal, which is sealed and there is a gag order some decades later.

2) The terrorist infiltration, which no one at The University was trusted to know about and still doesn't. Not even the Austin FBI office knew what was happening. Directed straight from DC.

3) The nameless 27, which I called a scandal because it would have destroyed Texas athletics and credibility.

8. Omniscient.one

I can’t tell if you’re being sarcastic. Pretty creative if so. If not, you should write a memoir one day, under a pseudonym.

9. Chop

Chop 10,000+ Posts

Agreed!

10. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

No sarcasm

• Like Like x 1
  11. George Bailey

George Bailey No beans in my chili, thank you

Participation in these events qualifies you for membership in our super-secret fraternity, M.O.S.S. The Mystic Order of Secret S***.

• Funny Funny x 1
  12. beijinghorn1

beijinghorn1 500+ Posts

My top qualities for a basketball coach in order: no scandals (recruiting, academic, law), offensive minded, win, navigate BLM waters. Basically I would like a program similar to Dukes.

13. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

I would rather not get someone fresh out of coaching middle school

• Funny Funny x 1
  14. beijinghorn1

beijinghorn1 500+ Posts

Where did I ask for a middle school coach? What are your criteria? Since your response was exactly like I would expect out of TH, I guess you would be cool with a TH clone.

15. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

Hell, no. I was Herman's biggest critic. I was just pointing out that in college basketball, "clean" doesn't exist, hardly ever found in HS, and it even filters down to middle school with street agents, illegal transfers, etc.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. Chop

Chop 10,000+ Posts

Yep. Before street agent types became common in HS football, they were already all over the place in HS / HS-aged basketball. The Basketball equivalents of the "Footwork King", and summer camp/summer team gurus who acted as informal talent agents were a dime a dozen in basketball, even decades ago.

17. LHABSOB

LHABSOB 1,000+ Posts

• Like Like x 3
    • Hot Hot x 1
  18. beijinghorn1

beijinghorn1 500+ Posts

I agree with the dirty comment. However, basketball is not important enough for me to give the university a black eye over. So that is why winning was third in my criteria. This is where I have given up on Texas ever winning a basketball national championship (a long time ago) If the cost of winning the championship is throwing away your integrity, then the cost is too high.

19. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

Not that it wasn't done by administrators before, but Billie Powers threw away our integrity by failing to keep his word to multiple people, Longhorns and others outside the program. His actions also cost The University millions and certain supporters at least $10 million.

20. beijinghorn1

beijinghorn1 500+ Posts

I hope it was not over basketball!

21. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

It wasn't

22. Chop

Chop 10,000+ Posts

From your article: "Smart's six-year tenure with the Longhorns was a roller coaster right up to the final hill."

You know, people wait in long lines at the amusement park to ride roller coasters... Just saying.

I think Ivey would be good, as would Beard.

Last edited: Mar 28, 2021
  23. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

Sorry you consider size 7 1/2 to be "big shoes"

24. mchammer

mchammer 10,000+ Posts

CDC hire for WBB pays off in first year. Lady horns going to elite 8!!!

• Like Like x 7
    • Hot Hot x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  25. 2003TexasGrad

2003TexasGrad Son of a Motherless Goat

Sarkasm!

• Funny Funny x 1
  26. Omniscient.one

I don’t like the idea of Ivey. If Shaka was too inexperienced/didn’t have the resume, then what is Ivey. The whole “those that don’t study history are doomed to repeat it” logic. I’d say Beard then Beilein as a backup.

• Winner Winner x 1
  27. ViperHorn

ViperHorn 10,000+ Posts

Shaka was experienced; he just could not coach on the level Texas requires.

Kevin Durant is a better judge of coaching talent than most of us.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  28. giveemhell

giveemhell 1,000+ Posts

I loved Royal Ivey as a player, and he may be a great NBA coach, but that's different than being a great college coach. The most important question to ask him: Do you love recruiting? Because that's most of the job. Remember when Jerry Gray was hired as a defensive backs coach under Mack Brown? He lasted less than a month, not because he couldn't coach (he's had an admirable NFL coaching career), but because he was likely overwhelmed (or depressed) by the prospect of spending hundreds of lonely hours on the road in West Texas to visit recruits (I base this on comments Mack Brown once made at a coach's luncheon). Jerry loved the x's and o's part of coaching, which he's excelled at in the NFL, but not the recruiting part.

• Like Like x 2
  29. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

I remember Jerry Gray very well as the smartest football-smart player I ever knew at Texas. Everyone of us has our own opinion on his hiring. Perhaps many people that know Mack probably know the truth.

Mine is that recruiting had nothing to do with Jerry leaving.

30. ViperHorn

ViperHorn 10,000+ Posts

Don't you think Durant knows a little about recruiting? He would not have recommended RI if he didn't think RI was up to the recruiting process. CdC would not have spent a day with him if he didn't think he could handle the recruiting.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1