Leading Candidates?

Discussion in 'Men’s Basketball' started by ut1969, Mar 26, 2021.

1. giveemhell

giveemhell 1,000+ Posts

I never said Ivey couldn't handle recruiting, I just want to know if he loves that aspect of the job. It's not for everyone; it's like sales. And if he would love that part of the job, maybe he's the right guy.

• Like Like x 2
  2. Sangre Naranjada

Sangre Naranjada 10,000+ Posts

I'd love to see Ivey coach here, even more so than Beard (and I won't be sad if we sign Beard). If I am CDC and I decide to bring Ivey on though, it would only be with the caveat that he does not have completely free reign to choose his assistants. This would be to help insure there are experienced collegiate recruiting aces on staff to smooth over any problems his inexperience may present.

3. moondog_LFZ

moondog_LFZ 5,000+ Posts

Wouldn't you expect Ivey to be aware of any shortcomings he may have in recruiting and therefore hire the best most experienced recruiters he could find?
    Seems to me you would be paying him an awful lot to hold his hand when making decisions.

4. Vol Horn 4 Life

Vol Horn 4 Life Good Bye To All The Rest!

If Ivy were coming here we'd already have gotten the announcement. Beard's buyout drops significantly on 4/1 so I suspect a lot of current coaches contracts are written similarly. I expect we'll hear something that day or shortly after.

• Agree Agree x 3
  5. Sangre Naranjada

Sangre Naranjada 10,000+ Posts

I think you are probably right about silence today likely means a Beard announcement after April 1st.

• Winner Winner x 1
  6. longhornlegend

longhornlegend 1,000+ Posts

For all those that want Beard, I would just point out that Tech barely beat ACU. He is a bobby knight clone so I dont like his demeanor with the players and would hate to have a kid play for someone like him. His style of ball is very boring and very much a bully style of play. If we wind up with him so be it but my vote is no and as you might expect that has zero value in this equation. I would much rather have musselman from the piggies or pitino.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  7. zuckercanyon

zuckercanyon 2,500+ Posts

Last I checked Bobby Knight had three natties and the last undefeated season in 1976. Can’t anybody yank a kid when he’s not following instructions anymore?

• Like Like x 1
  8. Vol Horn 4 Life

Vol Horn 4 Life Good Bye To All The Rest!

Count me in the "I'm not sure Beard is the right guy" corner. However, he did beat ACU and he did lead Tech to the national championship game. "Bully basketball" is also called physical play. I personally like that style.

I am feeling about Beard the same way I felt about Binder and Shanka. What has he really done? They won some games but show me some extended/sustained success. Beard has done well at a second tier school in one of the best basketball conferences. I'm certain he would have the program at a high level in a couple years, but not sure he's the guy for a championship.

9. Horns11

Horns11 10,000+ Posts

We've had 23 years now of "physical D first" and sometimes it's fine and sometimes it's not. I'll say that it doesn't make for particularly entertaining basketball, even if we have the occasional great season with it. Barnes deserves literally all of the credit for the success we had from 1998-2015, but with that came the responsibility of putting something out on the floor that people would like. No one did by 2015.

Shaka was just out of his element. He thought that by playing with more talented guys, he would just inherit the inevitable success at Texas. We never had an offensive system at all in his tenure here, and the numbers prove that. But at least we still bodied people up on D.

I think we need an offense-first guy to get some energy back. Beard isn't it.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  10. moondog_LFZ

moondog_LFZ 5,000+ Posts

I want to see an offense that seems to actually have scripted plays and movement.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  11. bystander

bystander 10,000+ Posts

It seems every great coach can draw up a play during a timeout and practically guarantee a high percentage shot. They don't always go in, but the technical side of basketball is always on display.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. p_town_horn

p_town_horn 1,000+ Posts

[​IMG]

The picture disagrees.

In his only year as the Little Rock head coach Beard won more tournament games than Shaka Smart did in 5 years at Texas. In 5 years at Tech he has 9 NCAA tourney wins. Meanwhile he's selling recruits on the glorious town of Lubbock and the winning basketball tradition of Tech. This is a team Bobby Knight only got to the Sweet 16 once.

Maybe Beard can win national championships at Texas and maybe not. However, I will be very happy if Texas can just replicate the success he's had at Tech the last 5 years.

I will have my popcorn ready for a press conference tomorrow.

• Winner Winner x 1
  13. George Bailey

George Bailey No beans in my chili, thank you

Some of the Sand Aggies are beginning to believe there is going to be a press conference...

Beard Likely Going to the Horns

• Like Like x 1
  14. Vino Bevo

Vino Bevo Wine - how classy people get drunk

Starting to meltdown. Whether we hire Beard or not, thanks for the link as it made me giggle this afternoon reading their comments.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. Chop

Chop 10,000+ Posts

If Beard is the new coach, we’ll do fine. He had an off year this season.

• Like Like x 1
    • WTF? WTF? x 1
  16. caryhorn

caryhorn 5,000+ Posts

Yeah, he only won one NCAA tournament game.

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Hot Hot x 2
  17. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

I'm sorry, Cary, but if making the tournament after winning a watered down made for TV scrimmage makes Smart a Top 15 coach, what does winning a game in THE tournament make Beard?

• WTF? WTF? x 1
  18. horninchicago

horninchicago 10,000+ Posts

I don't think cary thinks that.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

Dion needs in install a sarcasm meter we can post as well

:beertoast:

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. horninchicago

Stupid internet...

:fiestanana:

:beertoast:

• Like Like x 1
  21. ViperHorn

ViperHorn 10,000+ Posts

My only issue with Beard is I am not sure most of his "recruits" can get into Texas. If he cannot get the kids he got for Tceh, can he reach the level of success he has enjoyed at Tceh?

22. Horns11

Horns11 10,000+ Posts

I'm not sure what you mean. If you're talking academically, Texas and Tech have literally the same exact requirements for student athletes.

23. horninchicago

I'm just a Horn Fans message board boob. I must trust CDC and believe he knows what he's doing.

• Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 2
  24. BALL IS LIFE

BALL IS LIFE 500+ Posts

It’s done. Welcome to the 40 Coach Beard!

• Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  25. bystander

bystander 10,000+ Posts

Link?

• Like Like x 1
  26. George Bailey

George Bailey No beans in my chili, thank you

• Funny Funny x 1
  27. Vino Bevo

Vino Bevo Wine - how classy people get drunk

Austin sports talk confirming the hire. Welcome Coach Beard! :hookem:

• Like Like x 2
  28. LHABSOB

LHABSOB 1,000+ Posts

I wasn't high on Beard but I think it's mostly because he kicked our arse and had his team looking like punks doing it. Now that he is back at the 40, I hope he has our kids ticking off fans at other schools as we roll through the B12. Welcome back Coach Beard! As HIC said, I trust in CDC!

• Like Like x 1
  29. Garmel

Garmel 5,000+ Posts

30. Driver 8

Driver 8 Amor Fati