leaving a job

Discussion in 'Quackenbush's' started by monsterpepe, Feb 14, 2008.

1. monsterpepe

monsterpepe 25+ Posts

When you've done it, how did you do it?

Meet with the boss face-to-face and give him the bad news? Phone call? Letter on his chair followed by a meeting?

I've got to do it over the next month, and I know the boss is going to be unhappy. I'm struggling with how to do it...

When he inevitably asks why I'm leaving, do I give him the real poop on how disappointing it's been working in his organization? Or, is there no point in that and I should just focus on talking about what a great opportunity the position I've accepted is and how I just can't pass it up?

Thoughts appreciated.

2. CleverNickname

CleverNickname 500+ Posts

Be positive. No real point in an honest criticism. There is just no benefit to honesty that would exceed the hurt feelings. Don't burn a bridge. You never know when your paths will cross again.

3. netslave

netslave 1,000+ Posts

If there is something that you feel that can do to better the work environment, feel free to tell him. But keep everything positive with a "it's not you, it's me" kind of tone. You might need them as a reference someday.

4. jimmyjazz

jimmyjazz 2,500+ Posts

Write a concise, "positive" resignation letter, put it in an envelope (but don't seal it), schedule a meeting, and tell your boss that you are resigning before you hand him the letter. I would suggest that you offer at least 2 weeks of service to help ease the transition, too.

5. crash_davis

crash_davis 250+ Posts

never burn bridges. you have no idea when your paths may cross again.

6. CaptainEd

CaptainEd 1,000+ Posts

personally, i have always gone face-to-face first and written a detailed letter afterward (or delivered it afterward at least) as a formality - i know most org's need them.

as previously stated, keep everything positive even if you need to state a reason because you may need him/her as a contact in the future.

7. midtown

midtown 1,000+ Posts

^
    Couldn't agree more with not burning bridges. My industry is very tight knit. There are only 1200 of us nationwide. I gave my company 2 months notice, knowing they would be royally f'd when I left. They helped me find a job in Texas with their far reaching contacts. Gave me a great recommendation. I still use them as a reference. I still talk to them and lean on them for advice.

8. Roger

Roger 1,000+ Posts

If you talk to your boss and tell him that you feel you need to move on for a better opportunity or due to family reasons then they should be ok with it. If your boss isn't ok with it then he needs to offer you more money or a promotion or something to try and keep you. If your boss is professional in the least they will look at it as a good thing for you and be sad you are leaving but understand why you are.

9. KaiserSoze

KaiserSoze 250+ Posts

I'd like to 2nd everything CaptaiEd said. I handle it the same way.

10. Bernard

Bernard 1,000+ Posts

I've done it many times.
    1. DO NOT prepare the letter ahead of time. That's totally gay and makes you look like a total wuss. That's the kind of stuff admin chicks do when they are leaving to get a $3k pay raise somewhere else. You'll have plenty of time later to prepare a letter letter for the file.

2. ALWAYS do it face to face.

3. ALWAYS do it first thing in the morning. If you do it at the end of the day, your boss will know you've been sitting on the info all day waiting to spring it on him. Very Bush League. If you do it first thing in the morning, for all he knows, you just sealed the deal with the new employer the night before, even if you've really been sitting on it for a month.

4. ALWAYS keep it positive. There is NOTHING to be gained by being negative.

5. Doing the deed can be tough. You just have to rip it off like a band aid. This is all you need to do:

Walk into you boss's office first thing in the AM (if the boss usually gets there before you do, come in early):
    You: Hey, Boss. Got a minute? I need to talk to you about something.
    Boss: Sure, come on in.
    ----- Enter office and sit down.
    You: I want to let you know that I've been offered another job and I've decided to accept it.

This is the key phrase. The ice breaker. This puts everything on the table in one fell swoop. The conversation should flow naturally after this. He'll ask why you chose to leave. You'll explain what a great new opportunity the new job is. Then you can discuss the transition plan.

Bernard

11. KaiserSoze

KaiserSoze 250+ Posts

Great advice.

12. jmatt

jmatt 1,000+ Posts

I like what Bernard said, though I disagree about the letter.

Do go see your boss in the morning, and hand them the resignation letter after you talk. Stay positive, thank them for their understanding and time. Stress the good times and experiences you've had there. Be polite. Be firm. And always offer at least two week's notice, more if possible.

And make sure you're ready when you go in to see the boss. Stay professional, even if its an emotional moment (it's surprising how often I've seen people get choked up when turning in a resignation).

Make sure any personal (or professional that is appropriate and legal for you to have or keep) stuff on your computer is already saved off and/or, as appropriate, deleted from any company computer in advance of your notice.

I say this because you need to be prepared that they may walk you out, so have all your personal stuff still at your desk or work area easily and readily available to pick up.

And yes - never never never ever burn bridges unless there's no choice.

13. BigOHorn

BigOHorn 100+ Posts

letter no letter it doesn't really matter in my experience....
    The most important part is what Crash and others have said...whatever you do and however you do it keep the door open and keep in contact with your old employer...

14. Texas007

Texas007 1,000+ Posts

Be direct and to the point. Do not burn a bridge by being critical of your current position, and under no circumstances should you ever consider a counter offer. 95% of the people who accept a counter offer end up leaving within one year anyway.

15. jimmyjazz

jimmyjazz 2,500+ Posts

16. Uncle Rico

Uncle Rico 1,000+ Posts

17. William Cannon

William Cannon 250+ Posts

Exactly what Bernard said - sound advice.

18. Bernard

Bernard 1,000+ Posts

There's no need to have a letter prepared in advance. If you are a MAN, you just walk in and tell the boss what's going on. If you are a woman or a wuss you spend 30 minutes or more over thinking things and wordsmithing a useless letter that is little more than filler for your HR file.
    The lack of a pre-prepared letter will not make you appear unsure unless you actually are unsure. How can your boss be confused when you sit across the desk from him, look him in the eye and say, "I have been offered another job and I've decided to accept it."
    This phrase cannot be misunderstood by anyone who comprehends the English language. You're leaving. End of story. Let's start planning how we'll move forward.

I've done the exact routine outlined above six times in the last 15 years. It works. Memorize the lines and use them verbatim.

The purpose of the letter should be to document and confirm the conversation you had with you boss about your departure. Some of the things that should go in the letter (i.e. your last day on the job) will likely not even be determined until you talk to the boss. You may offer two weeks notice. He may want you out the door on the same day (very commom if you're going to a competitor).

Preparing the letter ahead of time over values the letter. If you have something to say to your boss, say it to his face. Putting it in a letter ahead of time demonstrates weakness. You'll look silly when you boss looks down at the envelope in your hand and says, "Is that your resignation letter." and you have to reply, "Well... yea... but... I have to go prepare a new one because this one has the wrong date in it."

Bernard

19. jimmyjazz

jimmyjazz 2,500+ Posts

OK, Bernard. You do it your way, and the rest of the professionals in the world will do it the courteous way -- in writing, preferably after a face-to-face meeting.

I can solve your tricky little dilemma of having the boss spot your resignation letter before you get to make your big announcement: put it inside a binder and walk in like a f'n professional, not some 12-year-old resigning his paper route.

Having a letter prepared to hand over at the end of your meeting in no way shape or form constitutes a sign of weakness or femininity. To think otherwise is beyond absurd.

20. EuroHorn

EuroHorn 2,500+ Posts

I agree with jimmyjazz

21. Hornin Hong Kong

Hornin Hong Kong 1,000+ Posts

22. Seattle Husker

Seattle Husker 10,000+ Posts

Having a prepared letter is a bit final. If you're open to counter offers then I personally wouldn't prepare a letter. If you're dead set on leaving then it is courteous to have a short and concise resignation letter.

I've always given 3 weeks notice to ensure to go over and above the norms.

23. K-Man

K-Man 250+ Posts

I was naive enough to accept a counteroffer once and wish I hadn't. It was a big mistake.

24. OldHippie

OldHippie 2,500+ Posts

I think it's a good idea to let the boss know in a face to face meeting as soon as you know. It's courteous and give's him time to prepare for a replacement if he wants some lead time. I like the opening line offered above. I've never prepared a letter before hand just because I never thought about it. Usually the boss will ask for a letter if and when he thinks of it or when HR reminds him that they need one. Everyone's right about being positive, even if he's a jerk. Being negative serves no purpose except for the satisfaction of telling him off and may cost you in the future.

25. Bernard

Bernard 1,000+ Posts

26. jimmyjazz

jimmyjazz 2,500+ Posts

Well, you're a MAN. You should know.

Wait -- are you Mike Gundy?

27. DCLonghorn8

DCLonghorn8 250+ Posts

I have never bothered with a letter and don't see the point. I have never been presented with a letter either.

I am still in my current gig due to a counter offer. And I am very happy for doing so. Otherwise I'd be living in Arkansas!

28. EuroHorn

EuroHorn 2,500+ Posts

29. MizzouSnives

MizzouSnives 500+ Posts

i see both sides to the "letter" issue, and i think the main thing to remember is the "face-to-face" meeting is the important part. You have to tell you boss, and you have to be prepared for his or her reaction.

As previously mentioned, don't burn bridges. Lord knows I'll want to when I leave my job in the next year (Lord willing) but I'll try not to. What do you say when you love your co-workers, find many aspects of the job fulfilling and interesting, but you work for a douche and the company as a whole is completely mis-managed?

Good luck.

30. HornHuskerDad

HornHuskerDad 5,000+ Posts

In reply to: