Leaving early

Discussion in 'Men’s Basketball' started by mars, Feb 7, 2008.

1. mars

mars 100+ Posts

There has been a lot of talk about Augustin and perhaps James leaving after this year for the pros. As this year has evolved, I am no longer sure DJ can make it in the NBA. He can be an excellent college point guard (and is at times), but the way more physical and taller guards have handled him, indicates to me that his game wouldn't work in the NBA. I'm not sure how much he can improve, because he already gets a lot out of his god given talent.

James, on the other hand is an athletic freak, but he's no where near ready for the NBA. Two more years and he can be. He has a lot of room for improvement.

Too bad they don't call me and ask for advice.

2. SL Xpress

SL Xpress 500+ Posts

If it's about getting to the league as soon as possible, he's gone. I don't expect DJ to return to Texas, although I still hold out some forlorn hope.

I will say that if it's about draft stock, he'll be a lot better off returning for his junior season. OJ Mayo, Jerryd Bayless, Eric Gordon, and Derrick Rose comprise one of the best NBA type point guard freshmen classes ever. It will be tough for DJ to be drafted ahead of any of those guys by a team that needs a point guard. Plus, players like Tywon Lawson and Darren Collison will probably be coming out.

In the next class, only Brandon Jennings is on those guys' level.

On the other hand, Daniel Gibson has proven it's more about where you go than what draft position you end up with. If DJ thinks he's going to be drafted by Phoenix, for example, he probably ought to head out (although the whole Shaq thing makes no sense to me --- but, there's a whole thread on that already). Being behind Steve Nash and playing within that system would seem to be ideal for DJ.

Damion could be a lottery pick if he played consistently like he does on his best nights. He's shown glimpses of the ability to handle the ball like an NBA wing, and he certainly looks like it won't be a stretch to hit NBA range perimeter shots. His athleticism is off the charts. I don't know what any of that means for his NBA draft stock. I guess we'll find out at the end of the season.