Legitimate Online Jobs Question

Discussion in 'Horn Network' started by Bevo71, Jan 9, 2011.

1. Bevo71

Bevo71 500+ Posts

I have a friend in the Northeast whose physical condition is such that he needs to work from home. He has been trying to find links for legitimate employment online.

He is a good writer, excellent communicator, good people skills, ethical, with strong moral values. He has a bachelor's degree in Social Work, but doesn't need to be in that realm though it would be ideal.

Does anyone out there have any recommendations for where he can find employment in an online career?

2. KazooMan

KazooMan 250+ Posts

Most ads for online work are scams (I work for the Florida AG - we put them out of business as fast as we can, but you know how those damn gophers keep popping up...).

One of the few fields where I do see legitimate work is transcribing doctor's notes (typing notes while listening to the doctor's recorded tapes). You obviously need a working knowledge of medical terms (you can't waste time looking up the spelling of every word), and have a good ear (some accents are harder to understand than others).

My suggestion for your friend is to contact some of the local doctor's offices and find out who does their transcription, and talk to those people about how they got into that business. There are a good number of practice tapes available online to help learn how to handle this job. I don't know the job market in the northeast - maybe your friend could start with his own doctor's office?