Less With More

Discussion in 'Women’s Basketball' started by brnkj, Jan 29, 2018.

1. brnkj

brnkj 2,500+ Posts

I'm not actually... I'm saying we have BETTER talent but they have developed theirs into better players. Furthermore, you don't tell me what I can and cannot express. If you don't like it, cram it!
    #thatpart

2. kurupt

kurupt 1,000+ Posts

And Kim Mulkey needs to put down the pipe right along with you. Like I said, Texas doesn’t have better talent than Baylor period. Now, can you make the argument that the talent level is comparable yes.

3. brnkj

brnkj 2,500+ Posts

:rolleyes1:

4. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

Mulkey has done crap with sophomores, Natalie Chou and Juicy Landrum so far.

Mulkey never helped Nina Davis develop a consistent jump shot after four years; playing her inside did nothing to help her basketball career after college.

Mulkey did nothing with Alyssa Dry and Justin Sczepanski-Beaver; they have since transferred/left.

After a great freshman, Beatrice Mompremier regressed her sophomore year at Baylor and then transferred.

Alexis Jones came to Baylor from Duke as a very polished player. Her shooting was already great; but, she did not develop into a better point guard while at Baylor for two seasons.

• Like Like x 4
  5. brnkj

brnkj 2,500+ Posts

Mulkey is not perfect by any stretch... but she's 10 times the coach KA is. Look at her record. I do NOT like Baylor, but that little lady has done a helluva job... the results speak for themselves.

6. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

So, what is it that you want? Do you want everyone here to agree with you? Not sure why you are pimping Mulkey and Baylor so hard on a Longhorn message board.

If you aren't happy with the program, no one is forcing you to support it.

• Like Like x 1
  7. brnkj

brnkj 2,500+ Posts

What I want is for our coach to get a freaking clue with X's and O's and help develop the players by putting them in schemes that allow them to play to their strengths and minimize exposure to their weaknesses... ya know kinda like Bill Fennelly has done most of.the time, Jeff Mittie, Sherri Coale, and now Reagan Pebley at TCU. But want in one hand and _____ in the other and see which one gets full first. It ain't gonna happen and our rep for squandering talent is gaining steam. #TruthHurts

8. kurupt

kurupt 1,000+ Posts

I see you put down the pipe long enough to say something that I agree with and have always said about Coach Aston. She does need to do a better job of putting her players in better positions to be successful in terms of schemes both offensively and defensively. But I’m just glad our rep for squandering talent hasn’t caught on to the likes of Celeste Taylor and many other future recruits. But then again maybe you picked your pipe back when typing that.

9. yelladawgdem

yelladawgdem 2,500+ Posts

Wow.

References to KM and "little lady" belong together in a sentence about as much as "Cullen Davis" and "innocent".

Sea Hag. Look it up.

• Like Like x 3
  10. WCBBNUT

WCBBNUT 2,500+ Posts

#TruthHurts only if it’s true and only if it’s bad.

#EmotionalVenting is fine but it’s not always truth telling.

• Like Like x 2
  11. Statalyzer

Statalyzer 10,000+ Posts

This is becoming quite the circular argument. They play better despite not having as much talent. But why doesn't it look like they have any less talent? Because they play better despite not having as much talent.

The only possible reasons anyone would disagree with you is they are either completely ignorant or else completely biased?

• Like Like x 2
  12. HornsfortheWin

HornsfortheWin < 25 Posts

Cox also played 497 minutes as a freshman, that’s an average of 13.4 minutes a game on that loaded roster they had last year, our freshmen won’t come anywhere near that.

I’m of the mind that you have to play to get better, especially with the shooting and defensive woes some of our veteran players have had who still receive the lion’s share of the minutes. It’s frustrating to watch the freshman this year not get much of a chance to help out.

• Like Like x 1
  13. WCBBNUT

WCBBNUT 2,500+ Posts

Funny thing. He took that as a compliment. Bless his heart.:lmao:

• Like Like x 3
  14. JoeDallas

JoeDallas 1,000+ Posts

Baylor has owned us for the last however many years, until last year. But the primary reason for that, IMO, is not the brilliant coaching of Mulkey or the amazing way she developed players. Until the last couple of years, she flat out had more talent. She has been a great/lucky/whatever recruiter. All the way back to Sheila Lambert and Danielle Cockrum. Then she came up with Sophia Young, not to mention getting Griner and getting Alexis Jones to transfer from Duke. And a lot of others. In Jody's last years, our talent level wasn't that great, and then Goach G had little luck at recruiting. Only when KA got here did we begin to really pull in great players. I think we are up with them, although their double post combo this year is very tough.

• Like Like x 3
  15. brnkj

brnkj 2,500+ Posts

Danielle Crockrum... one if the star post players I referred to previously... already there when Mulkey arrived and was a klutz her first two years. Mulkey and Brock turned her into a star onbtheor first season. Brock brought Lambert with him from Grayson County College... she was originally planning to attend La Tech but then KM fornthe Baylor job. Sophia young... a raw athlete who, if you remember, as a freshmen who was a rebounding machine but not a whole lot else. We all know the player they developed her into. I could go on, but that's enough to rest my case.

16. Run Pincher

Run Pincher 2,500+ Posts

Yes, coaching is the only thing that matters. The reason Shaq was a career 52% free throw shooter in the NBA was because he was never coached up. All those million dollar coaches just ignored his technique and never coached him up. Same with Texas women's BB, that's why we have so many poor shooters. No one is coaching them up. Shame on Karen.

• Like Like x 3
  17. kurupt

kurupt 1,000+ Posts

Brock and Mulkey also coach the most physically gifted player to ever play Wbb and did a horrible job of developing her. You continue to gloss over that because it doesn’t help your weak case.

• Like Like x 1
  18. skilled

skilled 25+ Posts

"Players" have some say so in whether or not they grow under a certain program. Players must also except some responsibility and commit to HARD work. Only thing they can't control is injury. Example: Rellah was in GREAT shape during her USA time and was a GREAT player, however, since that time she has put on weight and doesn't seem as excited about putting in the work. If Rellah would show KA she is committed, I think she would grow into a great college player and see time on the court. Coaches can teach X's and O's, but they can't give a player athleticism, or the commitment to working out and giving the all to be a better player. Coaching is all about X's & O's and until KA learns to "coach" these players, we will always be #2. We also need to remember that a girls freshman year in college is a HUGE change. Most don't really show or understand what they can actually do until after that year. That year is very confusing to a young girl. Trust me - I've been there!

• Like Like x 1
  19. brnkj

brnkj 2,500+ Posts

Very well-said and fair to both sides.

• Like Like x 1
  20. utfannforlife

utfannforlife 1,000+ Posts

Unless you know specifics about Rellah's situation (injuries etc) probably not fair to cast her in a light of not being "committed or excited about putting in work" I see her on the bench and she looks pretty darn excited for her teammates to me.

I think anyone who sees the totality of my posts will say that I don't approach things with "orange tinted glasses". I am critical (sometimes overly) when necessary, but as a former player and coach it is important that we don't judge/criticize based on facts and opinions not in evidence.

• Like Like x 2
  21. skilled

skilled 25+ Posts

I 100% agree that she looks like she is excited for her teammates. That wasn't the point, nor was I trying to point her out. Fans are excited for the team too. I don't fully know Rellah's work ethic, but I do know she has not shown enough to play (as most freshman do). The college level is hard for freshman and they need at least a year to adjust. I feel (my opinion only) that Rellah's freshman adjustment is holding her back.

The point of my post was that players do have some responsibility in their actions and hard work is needed, along with a coach that knows the X's and O's. I too am a former player and understand what it takes. I never try to jump to conclusions and as a fan(s) will never know what is really going on. I wish more people on this board would realize that there is always a true story that you are not aware of, especially when we are talking about other teams. Fans never know the real stories....but always believe the media. Shame.....

22. utfannforlife

utfannforlife 1,000+ Posts

She was playing prior to whatever her "setback" was. Most believe injury, although there has been nothing definitive put out.

I completely agree with your 2nd paragraph