'Let Them Eat Cake'

Discussion in 'West Mall' started by TaylorTRoom, Apr 12, 2011.

1. TaylorTRoom

TaylorTRoom 1,000+ Posts

2. A. BETTIK

A. BETTIK 1,000+ Posts

Somebody once said (Franklin?) you should judge a man's intelligence not by how witty he is but by what he does. With Obama, it's safe to go ahead and judge him by his wit, which is pretty damned dim.

3. mcbrett

mcbrett 2,500+ Posts

Taylor,

Lucky for you- he wasn't addressing your concern right after you directly said something to him about gas prices etc. You are just an innocent bystander reading an OpEd that wants you to get worked up about this conversation between two other people, one of which where a POTUS suggested to drive something that uses less gas if you're concerned about gas costs.

If confusing a suggestion made after a comment- with a direct commandment in a dictatorship is hard to clarify for some, as it is for many here, that is too bad. I don't see how different this is than complaining to the POTUS that it is too hot, and he tells me to take my jacket off. People are free to buy whatever car they want last time I checked. People are also free to twist a comment into strengthening their pre-conceived notions about someone- as we can see here on this thread already.

4. YoLaDu

YoLaDu Guest

5. general35

general35 5,000+ Posts

i wish a dynamic environmental friendly entreprenuer would design an attractive, affordable hybrid that is the same cost as a regular automobile. It seems like it would be a big seller. unfortunately, these types of people would rather spend government money trying to prove how we are all going to die instead of creating workable alternatives so we can live more environmentally clean lives. They also wouldnt know how to do it unless the government freerolled the project for them.

6. ProdigalHorn

ProdigalHorn 10,000+ Posts

I thought the funny line was when he suggested the guy buy a hybrid van. You know... those imaginary hybrid vans we've all been hearing so much about. Maybe after he buys it, he can take it in for a tuneup.

7. NEWDOC2002

NEWDOC2002 1,000+ Posts

Sorry but here we go again with the typical left pundit defense of "The One". Funny thing is apparently how much you are also out of touch.

I know dozens of people like one of our hospital house keepers working full time but not "rich" enough to go buy a hybrid. She drives an early model Olds with flaking rusty paint job and worn out tires. Probably gets 18 mpg at the most. She still has to buy $4 gas like the rest of us.

This oral diarrhea from the President is just another example of how the elite left think about the common American anymore than the far right until it comes time to make speeches, shore up donations and seek election.

For acting so progressive you guys don't seem to think too far outside your own box.

8. mcbrett

mcbrett 2,500+ Posts

Ahh general- Prod- never let a lack of information stop you from not making a point:

Hybrid Mini Van- Toyota Sienna
    Ford Escape Hybrid SUV-
    Toyota Highlander SUV Hybrid-
    Chevy Tahoe SUV Hybrid-
    GMC Yukon Hybrid SUV-
    Lexus RX Crossover Hybrid-
    Mercedes ML 450 SUV Hybrid-
    Volkswagen Touraeg MiniVan Hybrid-
    Cadillac Escalade SUV Hybrid-
    BMW X6 Crossover Hybrid-

And plenty more coming in 2011-2013. Perhaps you should visit an Auto Show sometime. And general- check out the Ford Escape Hybrid- you mentioned you didn't want to pay a big premium- and you can get 31 mpg.

Now, back to bashing, facts be damned..

9. Horn6721

Horn6721 10,000+ Posts

mcbrett
    very informative list. thanks

which of those vehicles will seat 10-12 people?

10. mcbrett

mcbrett 2,500+ Posts

What percentage of American families have 10+ kids?

11. BuffaloBayouBevo

BuffaloBayouBevo 100+ Posts

This thread reminds me of how the lefties would always parse every word out of Bush's mouth.

Presidents make a lot of statements. Sometimes they say stupid things.

12. Horn6721

Horn6721 10,000+ Posts

mcbrett?
    Obama told the guy to quit whining and buy a hybrid van even though Obama knew( because he laughed at the guy) that he had 10 kids.

So back to the point, which of those vehicles seat 10-12?

I also notice Obama apprently didn't consider the father might not be able to afford a new vehicle. it seemed more important for Obama to laugh at the guy and get a reaction from the crowd.

13. general35

general35 5,000+ Posts

the hybrid versions are on avg 7000 more than the regular versions. the ford escape is a piece of crap. the gas mileage on these hybrids are minimally better. not enough to justify the extra price. try again. they need a car that gets 50 miles per gallon that can fit a family of 5 comfortably. this doesnt exist.

14. mcbrett

mcbrett 2,500+ Posts

You two, gen and 6721, are long lost brothers. Very similar writing styles..

general- its amazing that in 15 minutes you averaged all of the price premiums and did a cost benefit analysis at $4.50/gallon gas, assumed a 6 year life on the vehicle, escalating gasoline prices thru the 6 years, subtracted lower maintenance costs, NPVd these vs the regular versions, and then determined they need 50 MPG to get the premium back. Because, your analysis is very different than every other one I've ever read.

Send me your spreadsheet and a resume please- if you are that fast and better than everyone else- there's a job for you at an investment firm somewhere! Or, did you just conjecture yet again??

15. YoLaDu

YoLaDu Guest

16. ProdigalHorn

17. Bluepies

Bluepies Guest

18. Dionysus

Dionysus Idoit Admin

19. YoLaDu

YoLaDu Guest

problem solved.

The Link

[​IMG]

12 seats / electric

20. THEU

THEU 2,500+ Posts

yea hybrids!
    Pay more up front for the costs of a car. Have a larger dust to dust carbon footprint than a petrol engined car. Yep, that is the ticket!

21. Dionysus

Dionysus Idoit Admin

Yeah, but look at the ventilation on that thing.

22. HornHuskerDad

HornHuskerDad 5,000+ Posts

23. ProdigalHorn

Yo that should come in very handy for that family if they happen to live on one of the little streets in Six Flags.

24. mcbrett

mcbrett 2,500+ Posts

Closed minded people don't like links, or information about new technologies- it gets very confusing for them and makes them answer awkward questions.

To the hybrid skeptics- please, drive whatever you want. Keep your guzzlers- the market is more than large enough for the 15 or so hybrid SUVs, 50 hybrids in total, and 10 current EVs to survive without you on economics that have 2-3 year paybacks in these earlier models- that are being improved significantly every year. It's not like Obama lost any votes on this thread anyways. Same hatred, different flavor.

25. TaylorTRoom

TaylorTRoom 1,000+ Posts

McBrett, this isn't about convincing us. This is an encounter between the President of the United States, and a citizen (it being a peculiarity of our government that we have such encounters). The POTUSA rides in a motorcade, armored limousines that get slightly better ,ileage than a tank. He does not pay for the fuel, nor does he pump it. He suggests to the citizen that he should have a more fuel-efficient car, in other words the failing was the citizen's, for making poor choices in family size and vehicle type.

I'm guessing the citizen is like me and many others. and is not financially ready to buy a new car. There are other things to spend on- education savings, clothes, food, retirement, needy relatives, etc. If I had an extra $10k lying around, I could be persuaded to buy my wife a new car (replacing hers with 100k miles and keeping my Honda with 120k), especially now that the Fed has indicated they intend to hold interest rates down a while longer. I'm guessing this guy doesn't either, and would darly love to see gas prices get just 50% of the way back to where they were when Obama was sworn in.

Candidate Obama addressed this issue twice. To his credit, he ridiculed Sen. Clinton's gas price voucher suggestion as a gimmick. Then, as nominee, he responded to McCain's suggestion of more domestic drilling by suggesting that high gas prices (at the time) were the result of 8 years of Bush policies. Either response would have been more appropriate than laughing at this citizen.

You know, Mary Antoinette never actually said, "Let them eat cake". When told the people could not afford bread, she said that the royals needed to work harder. If only our president had as much respect for his fellow citizens as 18th century monarchs had for their subjects.

26. Bevo Incognito

Bevo Incognito 5,000+ Posts

27. mcbrett

mcbrett 2,500+ Posts

Taylor-

First, it's a little generous for anyone here to say he was laughing "at" the citizen- and not just laughing- like everyone does in a conversation. If I met the reality family- the Duggarts, and the dad told me he has 19 kids- I would probably laugh too and say something like "wow, gee".

Second- let's repeat this over and over. Obama, nor anyone else in the govt- has never told anyone to buy a car or a certain type of car other than in passing conversation. It reminds me of how the NRA tells people during membership drives that Obama and Pelosi want to take away their guns- when in fact neither have said these things and in fact Obama slightly enhanced gun rights in national parks.

Third- your anecdote that the POTUS has a limo and drivers and doesn't buy gas tells me nothing other than he is POTUS. So what. Every POTUS has the same gig. It comes with the job. It doesn't imply he is out of touch- it implies he is a security risk if left alone in the public.

Like I said- keep your Honda if you like it- who cares. It's a free country. If you have 10 kids- you made decisions on your own that have implications. If you hate high gas prices- you have the option to make smart or dumb decisions with your travel needs. Your call.

28. ProdigalHorn

29. mcbrett

mcbrett 2,500+ Posts

30. ProdigalHorn