Let's end the kid gloves treatment.

Discussion in 'On The Field' started by blonthang, Nov 25, 2016.

1. blonthang

blonthang 2,500+ Posts

Anyone who starts out at The University of Texas at Austin, "...a University of the first class..." as head football coach with records of 6-7, 5-7, and 5-7, and does not resign immediately is not worthy of respect.

It would be the hight of arrogance and condescention to UT alums around tbe world to think that this is even CLOSE to being acceptable.

Jack Chevigny recognized same and did the honorable thing and stepped aside.

We'll find out if Charlie Strong is really a standup guy, or it's just so many words and millions of dollars in the background.

Are you a man, Charlie?, or a mercenary?

2. EDT

EDT 1,000+ Posts

I am going with mercenary.:popcorn:

3. faceman

faceman 25+ Posts

Lol...UT fans are full of themselves. Charlie is taking the money and running.

4. JustWin

JustWin 250+ Posts

Ha. Of course the OP is a man of honor who would walk away from $10 million plus. :lmao:

• Like Like x 3
  5. blonthang

blonthang 2,500+ Posts

Yes, I would.

But, of course this about Strong, not about me. Personal attacks don't prove anything, just farts in the wind.

It's about honor, and the right thing to do, something Strong made his case on at Texas, essentially it's about "no guns, respect women, go to class, yada, yada, yada.." but at the end of the day he shows himself to be only about the money, then he is not worthy of respect. $10 million or $0.10, I'm talking about the right thing to do.

And yes, I'd do the right thing. Some people have a hard time believing there are people out there who would searc their soul and come up with the right answer. Others just say: "$10 million dollars, easy decision".

Thank God not everyone thinks that way.

We'll find out if it's ALL about the money fir Strong, or if he truely is a man of honor.

• Like Like x 1
    Last edited: Nov 25, 2016
  6. Driver 8

Driver 8 Amor Fati

And we will probably get the coach who doesn't want to be at your ****** program, lol UH fans

7. JustWin

JustWin 250+ Posts

And how would your wife and family feel about that?
    I know.
    You would have their full support because it is the "right" thing to do. :coolnana:

8. blonthang

blonthang 2,500+ Posts

Yes, you obviously don't understand.

9. JustWin

JustWin 250+ Posts

So, you don't want to honor your contract? See you in court. And how will that play when you sit down and try to sign the next coach? :popcorn:

10. Badass

Badass 2,500+ Posts

Lighten up Francis, was joking and I deleted it. It will play out just fine

11. ViperHorn

ViperHorn 10,000+ Posts

A Stripes reference. Excellent.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Badass

Badass 2,500+ Posts

lol I did delete it Viper almost immediately after posting cuz I had regrets but apparently Francis jumped on me before it got deleted. Maybe Dion can help in that situation ... I dunno. Seems like if OP deletes, then quotes of it should too. Calling Dion for tech support

13. blonthang

blonthang 2,500+ Posts

I haven't deleted anything on this thread.

14. Badass

Badass 2,500+ Posts

BT, did not mean you, I was referring to me. Prolly did not use right abbreviation. I posted a reply to you, almost immediately deleted cuz I thought better of what i said. Someone replied to me before I could delete. So I meant my original reply. Sorry to impune you. Not my intention. I need a beer

15. blonthang

blonthang 2,500+ Posts

Cool beans.

• Like Like x 1
  16. dukesteer

dukesteer 5,000+ Posts

I think the OP raises a good question. CS is a very rich man because of the deal Powers and Patterson gave him. While it is true that a deal is a deal, he could take a very high road by negotiating down the buyout. After all, again, he doesn't need the money.

I can't handicap what he will do, but he does have an opportunity to make an impactful statement by the manner in which he exits.

17. Hoop

Hoop 500+ Posts

He is also a young man and I am sure he can theoretically point to many factors that led to his failure here on the 40 acres. Negotiating down his original deal doesn't give him any leverage for his next one. It's not going to happen.

18. JustWin

JustWin 250+ Posts

Just because he was not a successful head coach at this school doesn't mean he should be a poor negotiator. He should never negotiate down. Perhaps you mean accept a lower negotiated buyout.:tap:

• Like Like x 1
  19. mchammer

mchammer 10,000+ Posts

Charlie is 56

20. Statalyzer

Statalyzer 10,000+ Posts

UT gave him the deal, they knew the implications. He needs to be gone as coach but he hardly needs to make a multimillion dollar charitable donation to the richest athletic dapartment around.

• Like Like x 1
  21. dukesteer

dukesteer 5,000+ Posts

A man is only as good as his reputation. Charlie's reputation is stellar. I was just saying that by agreeing to a negotiated buyout if he so chose, he could rise to an unprecedented level of respect quite uncommon in the industry. But like I said, a deal is a deal, and he has every right to receive what was promised.

Putting myself in the same position, I would think seriously about telling my employer that I will agree to accept less than promised because I did not earn what was promised. A silly idea? Not really. In my case, I want every penny I deserve, and more if I have earned it. But on the other hand, if I don't deserve what was promised, I would think twice about accepting it. I'm probably not the Lone Ranger...

22. car54

car54 1,000+ Posts

What about the donor's wife story at Louisville when the divorce issue came up last year. Maybe Charlie isn't as stellar as he is made out to be. Since the divorce thing was settled before he had to testify, we will never know...LOL ...Plus the fact he keeps throwing his kids under the bus about their youth instead of taking blame for his staff's coaching speaks volumes.